High Demand Jobs and Careers in Harrisburg PA
Harrisburg-Carlisle Metro Area
The Harrisburg-Carlisle MSA is a Metro Area located in Southeastern Pennsylvania in Dauphin County. Harrisburg has been recognized in the 21st century by financial magazines and analysts as one of the Best Mid-Sized American Cities for Jobs and Business.
The Metro Area and surrounding counties were populated by Native American Nations for 10,000+ years before European and other settlers arrived.
The French and Swiss first entered Pennsylvania in the early 1600s, but did not build a fort or a town at Harrisburg. Building was done by John Harris, an Englishman, around 1710, almost 100 years later - but only a small settlement known as Harris Ferry. His son built Harrisburg later. By 1812, it was the capital of Pennsylvania.
Harrisburg, In Eastern Pennsylvania
River Transportation Was Important Early On
The elder Harris's men traced the paths of the Shawnee and Delaware nations in order to find crossing points across the Susquehanna River. This led to transportation and shipping in the 19th century.
Situated right beside the Susquehanna River, Harrisburg saw the steady rise of railroads and the Erie Canal to become an early American transportation hub in an industrial region full of mines and manufacturing.
Some of those industries declined in the 1970s, but in the 1980s, Harrisburg began to grow with new economic initiatives to draw a lively tourist trade and new retail businesses.
Things To See
The John Harris Mansion and estate are a major tourist draw, the city being named for the Harris family.
The Capitol building is one of the largest well done architecturally artistic US Capitols in the country, modeled after St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. It brings the same type of admiration.
Harrisburg is the site of several yearly festivals: Kipona (the Native American Celebration of Sparkling Water) over Labor Day, the American Musicfest over Independence Day Week, and several small celebrations, along with Christmas pageants and a New Year's Eve celebration, rounded out with the summer's giant Pennsylvania Farm Show.
Top High Growth Industries Through 2020
The Healthcare Industry, with associated social services staff represents the highest demand occupations in the Harrisburg Metro Area. The most job openings and new jobs created in the Harrisburg area will occur in the occupational categories on the Top 10 List below.
The number of jobs to open in the Healthcare Industry is twice the number to open of the Number 2 high growth job category of Transportation.
- Health Care & Social Assistance - RNs, Therapists, Aides, Others
- Transportation - Shipping and Passenger
- Educational Services
- Hospitality & Tourism: Accommodations & Food Service Operations of all kinds
- Administrative & Waste Services - Recyling, Alternative Energy
- Retail Trade
- Professional & Technical Services
- Other Services, Except Public Admin.
Additional High Demand Jobs
The following job categories also offer large numbers of new jobs through 2014 in Harrisburg and surrounding smaller cities:
- Wholesale Trade
- Finance & Insurance
- Arts, Entertainment & Recreation - incuding Tourism.
- Information Technology
- Real Estate Sales, Rental & Leasing
Harrisburg Area Hospitals, with Job Openings in Health & Social Services
- Carlisle Regional Medical Center Carlisle
- Community General Osteopathic Hospital
- Harrisburg Hospital
- Harrisburg State Hospital
- Holy Spirit Hospital - Camp Hill
- Lebanon VA Medical Center - Lebanon
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center - Hershey
- Polyclinic Medical Center
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Government
- US Federal Government
- Hershey Food Corp.
- Highmark Blue Shield
- Tyco Electronics Corp.
- Hershey Medical Center
Harrisburg - Performed by Josh Ritter
Sports and Recreation
- Harrisburg Heat (NPSL) - Soccer
- Harrisburg City Islanders - Soccer
- Harrisburg Horizon - EBAL Basketball
- Hershey Bears - AHL Hockey
- Harrisburg Senators (AA) - Minor League Baseball
- Central Penn Piranha - Minor League Football
- Central PA Vipers - Pro Women's Football
- Harrisburg Rugby Football
- Nuclear Knockouts - Roller Derby
- Harrisburg Lunatics - Pro Roller Hockey
- AAA Travel Institute
- Academy Of Medical Arts and Business
- Dickinson College (Carlisle, PA)
- Empire Beauty School
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Harrisburg Culinary Academy
- Keystone Technical Institute - Culinary Arts
- Messiah College
- Pennsylvania State University
- Temple Unviersity
- Thompson Institute
- Widener University-Harrisburg Campus
Harrisburg Area Community College
This local community college brings students, the community, and area businesses together in a number of ways.
The college offers a number of opportunities for employers to come in and hold Job Fairs on the campus. In addition, Career Symposia are held regularly that target education professional and state level participants.
Employers and businesses recruit new employees from graduating students, Further, career exploration is facilitated during Career Days. Students and internships as well as full-time career positions are easily matched in these events.
The HACC Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies is a continuing education venue that helps persons interested in business ownership to plan, open, and operate their dream businesses. Counselors work one-on-one with future business owners throughout the process.
The college also offers non-credit courses and basic computer training for the community.
Finally, HACC also offer employment: HACC Jobs.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The New York Police Department has instituted a long-term internship program the trains college men and women in cadet training before they graduate from school and enter the police academy. In addition, the department...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...
No comments yet.