How to Host Speed Dating Events to Make Extra Money
Speed Dating Business
Tips on Getting Started
Here is what you need to know to get started
NOTICE: THIS ARTICLE IS INTENDED FOR VIEWERS WHO GENERALLY KNOW WHAT SPEED DATING IS, AND HOW IT GENERALLY WORKS. OUR GOAL IS TO INFORM YOU ON HOW TO MAKE MONEY FROM HOSTING YOUR OWN SPEED DATING EVENTS.
1. You'll first want to come up with a name that you will operate under (a "DBA" name, so to speak). I suggest coming up with a name that is unique, yet simple and to the point of your business. Additionally, you'll want to choose a name that has an available domain address to compliment or match. (Example: Match in Six = DBA | Domain address = www.matchinsix.com)
2. Come up with a logo for brand presence and to gain the feel of a professional company.
3. Decide who your target market will be. Just a word of personal advice from experience, I have noticed that age groups that range from 35 and up are more likely to fill up faster than those events for people who are single and under the age of 35. But approach the age group you are most comfortable dealing with and can establish some type of common ground with.
4. Talk to the owners/managers at local restaurants, coffee houses, and such about hosting an event at their space. Decide how you can be of benefit to the venue and how hosting a speed dating event will help them AND you so everyone can make a little extra cash.
5. After you secure a location(s) you'll want to set a date and begin marketing your Event, the Venue, and your company (yourself).
6. Invite guest. Even though it is important to advertise your event, remember to invite singles that you know to your event. Let them know a little about the venue you selected, the types of people you anticipate on participating, and ask them to attend.
7. Prepare a Speed Dating Kit for your events with the following:
· Name Tags
· Note Cards
· Table Tents/ Table Markers
· Bell/ Whistle
8. At the event, make sure all of you guest have a name badge (Alias's are ok and suggested) and assign them a unique number for easier match results. Have them complete a registration form with contact information, email address, their real name, and Alias (if using one) for matching purposes.
9. During the event, every 6-8 minutes you ring the bell and the daters switch dates. At the end of the night they will all have met every opposite. They keep track of guest they would like to meet on the note card. (Ex: Guest writes Mark #12 No or Jane #16 Yes). Once all rounds are complete, guest turn their note cards in to you.
10. Swap contact info as soon as possible. Once you get the results, allow 24-72 hours to inform guest of their matches. Only mutual interests receive contact information. Non mutual interests are voided discretely without anyone feeling put on the spot, or rejected.
How to Charge
Depending on the venue selection and targeted audience, I would suggest charging anywhere from $15 to $30 per person at your speed dating event, starting out. This should cover most of the marketing and pay you a nice wage for the evening of the event. As you build a stronger brand presence you'll be able to charge and earn more.
**Assure your guest that the events are for entertainment. Also mention there is a realistic opportunity for them to meet someone special. Appeal to their "social side" not their "single (unmatched) side".
**Remember to keep communication open with the business owners and thank them for their support. Also, I wouldn't guarantee any turnout commitments, etc. Be honest and let them know your confidence and experience level. Get them involved in the promotion of the event as well!
**There are companies who offer speed dating kits, try Match in Six. This speed dating company is based out of Atlanta and offers a unique style of events, speed dating resources, and information on getting started with hosting and coordinating speed dating events.
More by this Author
Ever wonder how to Speed Date? As a speed dating hostess, I have a few tips that I always share with singles who attend any speed dating event. Things like what to say, what NOT to say, what foods are good to order, etc.
I've hosted speed dating events in small towns and major cities for over 10 years! Want to know how to pack the house at your speed dating event? This is the must read article to help get it done!