Best Oil and Natural Gas Jobs In Alberta Province, Canada
Over 6% of Canadian Jobs are in Oil and Natural Gas
Most of these jobs are listed for Alberta Province, largely in Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, and Red Deer (Please see map provided below). Many require no post-secondary education (beyond high school), but related experience is a factor.
Unfortunately, this group of communities lie in the Cancer Corridor of new hospitals built in Alberta Province. The tar sands that provide much of the oil in this region are caustic and carcinogenic.
Oil deposit pipelines in Williston Basin and the Bakken Oil Field, along with McMurray Formation/Athabasca Tar Oil Sands transport connect with businesses in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana, and North Dakota, but Alberta and North Dakota offer the largest numbers of jobs in local oil booms.
Top Sites for Oil and Natural Gas Jobs In Canada
Edmonton Oil and Diamond Gateway
The City of Edmonton stands at the northern gateway to the Calgary–Edmonton Corridor and is home to many companies that stage enormous projects for the local tar oil sands in Northern Alberta.
Diamond mining is also big in upper Alberta and the Northwest Territories. Related companies are housed in Edmonton; however, oil and gas workers are stationed most often in the cities around Edmonton listed on the map below, most often Calgary.
Increasing Jobs, Business and Foreign Trade
The highest demand job titles and the companies that advertise the most positions open in the oil and natural gas fields and related facilities listed below.
Jobs are expected to increase for several years and heavy crude oil is piped already to North Dakota for processing around Williston and New Town, involving US partnerships that are expected to expand. Alberta leaders would like to open up oil trade with Asia through a Northern Gateway project as well.
Many higher paying jobs are available in engineering, skilled trades & labor, and oilfield operations.
High Paying Jobs
- Private Sales Consultants
- Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Equipment Operator Drivers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Business Development Analysts
- Electrical Engineers
- Senior Process Engineers
- Industrial Wastewater Engineers
- Process Engineers
- Project Control Managers
- Oil Field Workers
Hiring Companies in Alberta
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- Husky Energy
- Clean Harbors Environmental Services
- Finning of Canada
- Technical Support Group
- Hays Specialist Recruitment of Canada Inc.
- Michael Page in Canada
- Gibson Energy ULC
- Japan Canada Oil Sands Limited
- Aerotek ULC
- Enbridge Inc.
Attractions, Mass Transit and Other Links
- NAIT | An Institute of Technology Committed to Student Success
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton, Alberta, is a leader in technical training and applied education. We offer over 250 programs, including 34 apprenticeship offerings, and over 1,200 continuing education courses. NAIT graduates
- Alberta Railway Museum - Home
- University of Alberta
University of Alberta
- West Edmonton Mall - Website
Experience the unique convenience West Edmonton Mall has to offer and enjoy exclusive shopping, fine dining, exciting entertainment, thriving nightlife and luxury accommodations, all under one roof! Whether you are travelling with family, friends or
Moving and Working in Edmundton
Working In and Around Edmonton AB, Canada
Permanent Immigration to Alberta from the United States requires a process for skilled workers and professionals like those needed in the oil fields from 2012 - onward. However, a work visa for stipulated shorter terms of residence and employment may be available. To learn more, visit WORK TEMPORARILY IN CANADA.
Skilled Workers and Professionals
- A mandatory language proficiency test for English, French, or both
- A valid, real offer by a company for specific employment OR
- One year of continuous full-time paid work in Canada (on a work visa) in an eligible job title seen below
Eligible Job Titles (If work experience is within the last 10 years)
The job titles in BOLD are more directly related to Oil and Natural Gas. However, some companies require medial and health staff, chefs, cooks, and others on the rest of the list.
- Restaurant and Food Service Managers
- Primary Production Managers (Except Agriculture)
- Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management (Cap reached - Full)
- Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners
- Biologists and Related Scientists
- Specialist Physicians
- General Practitioners and Family Physicians
- Physiotherapists (Physical Therapists)
- Registered Nurses (RNs) (Cap reached - Full)
- Medical Radiation Technologists
- Dental Hygienists & Dental Therapists
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Social Workers
- Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
- Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades
- Electricians (Except Industrial & Power System)
- Industrial Electricians
- Welders & Related Machine Operators
- Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
- Crane Operators
- Drillers & Blasters - Surface Mining, Quarrying & Construction
- Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
More Requirements and Criteria Examined
- Fluency in English and/or French (for Quebec, especially)
- Work Experience - type, number of years, etc.
- Your Age (this is legal)
- Arranged employment in Canada or not,
- Your Adaptability.
Relevent Companies on Workopolis and Contact Information
JD Driver in Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc, and Nisku, AB. Apply at Workopolis.com online.
- Heavy Equipment Operaters
- Entry-level Laborers
- Mobile Crane Operators
North American Construction Group in Fort McMurray. Apply at https://trades-nacg.icims.com/jobs/intro?hashed=0
- Equipment Operators
- Finish Operators
Weatherford Canada Partnership in Alberta. Apply online at Weatherford.com under Career Opportunities.
- Field Mechanics
- Casing Jack Operators
- Inside Sales Reps
- Accounts Managers
- Materials Managers
Design Group Staffing in Alberta. Apply to email address: email@example.com
- Mechanical Drafters
- Process Operators
J. Giesbrecht & Son Cranes Employment Office in Edmonton, Regina SK, Saskatoon SK, Winnipeg MN. Apply at http://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/30621%20
- Crane Operators
- Crane Dispatchers
Progress of North American Oil Booms
Largest Oil Boom Job Increases 2010 - 2020
Seven Major Cities are experiencing increases in oil and natural gas, with several more cities providing oil jobs.
© 2012 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!