How To Find the Top 10 Best Oil and Natural Gas Jobs In Alberta Province
Over 6% of Canadian Jobs are in Oil and Natural Gas
During January 2012, out of a total of approximately 142,000 job listings in all Canada, 8,800+ fell into the field of Oil and Natural Gas. By September 2012, 9 months later, a total of 9,330 jobs were available in this industry, an increase of over 500 additional jobs.
Most of these jobs are listed for Alberta Province, largely in Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Red Deer, Nisku, Grande Prairie, and Lloydminster. Job listed later in this Hub were collected across all Internet postings via SimplyHired.com, Indeed.com , and Workopolis in Canada and many jobs can be accessed for application online. Further, many require no post-secondary education (beyond high school), but related experience is a factor.
Oil deposits (Williston Basin and Bakken Oil Field, along with McMurray Formation/Athabasca Oil Sands) and/or pipelines connect business in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana, and North Dakota, but Alberta and North Dakota offer the largest numbers of jobs in local oil booms. Simultaneously, oil booms have occurred in Eastern and Southern Ohio and Pennsylvania (Utica and Marcellus oil deposits).
Oil and Natural Gas jobs are also available in Saskatchewan and Ontario Provinces, and Vancouver, British Columbia.
The City of Edmonton stands at the northern gateway to the Calgary–Edmonton Corridor and is home to many companies that stage enormous projects for the local oil sands in Northern Alberta. Diamond mining is big in the Northwest Territories and related companies are also housed in Edmonton; however, oil and gas workers will be stationed most often in the cities around Edmonton listed on the map below. This will especially include Edmonton and Calgary.
Top Sites for Oil and Natural Gas Jobs In Canada
Increasing Jobs, Business and Foreign Trade
The highest demand job titles and the companies that advertise the most positions open in the oil and natural gas fields and related facilities in January 2012 are listed below. Jobs are expected to increase for several years and heavy crude oil is piped already to North Dakota for processing around Williston and New Town, involving US partnerships that are expected to expand. Alberta leaders would like to open up oil trade with Asia through a Northern Gateway project as well.
- Why Lakota Nation Seceded and Blockaded the Keystone Oil Pipeline
Trucking-fees fraud resulted in trespassing across native lands and cheaper transport of Canadian raw oil into the United States across already-existing oil fields owned by Native Americans in North Dakota.
- Historic First Nations Protest Against Broken Treaties With Blockades
Broken treaties, illegal land sales, freight fraud, transportation of tar sands instead of the agreed-upon crude oil from Canada to the USA, and other issues affect all of North America and its economies.
- Oil Boom to 2020 - Bakken and Williston Basin Oil and Gas Jobs
Oil was discovered in the Bakken Oil Field in 1951, but an American Oil Boom and its increasing jobs hit here at New Town and a 50-plus-mile radius after 2009. New Town, North Dakota projects 500 new oil wells by 2015 and the Unemployment Rate is in
High Paying Jobs
- Private Sales Consultants
- Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Equipment Operator Drivers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Business Analysts
- Administrative Assistants
- Electrical Engineers
- Senior Process Engineers
- Cost Engineers
- Industrial Wastewater Engineers
- Process Engineers
- Intermediate Process Engineers
- Project Control Managers
- Oil Field Workers
Attractions, Mass Transit and Other Links
- Edmonton History, Events, Attractions | Fort Edmonton Park
- Edmonton Transit System (ETS) :: City of Edmonton
- NAIT | An Institute of Technology Committed to Student Success
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton, Alberta, is a leader in technical training and applied education. We offer over 250 programs, including 34 apprenticeship offerings, and over 1,200 continuing education courses. NAIT graduates
- Alberta Railway Museum - Home
- University of Alberta
University of Alberta
- West Edmonton Mall - Website
Experience the unique convenience West Edmonton Mall has to offer and enjoy exclusive shopping, fine dining, exciting entertainment, thriving nightlife and luxury accommodations, all under one roof! Whether you are travelling with family, friends or
Working In and Around Edmonton AB, Canada
Permanent Immigration to Alberta from the United States requires a process for skilled workers and professionals like those needed in the oil fields from 2012 - onward. However, a work visa for stipulated shorter terms of residence and employment may be available. To learn more, visit WORK TEMPORARILY IN CANADA.
Skilled Workers and Professionals
- A mandatory language proficiency test for English, French, or both
- A valid, real offer by a company for specific employment OR
- One year of continuous full-time paid work in Canada (on a work visa) in an eligible job title seen below
Eligible Job Titles (If work experience is within the last 10 years)
The job titles in BOLD are more directly related to Oil and Natural Gas. However, some companies require medial and health staff, chefs, cooks, and others on the rest of the list.
- Restaurant and Food Service Managers
- Primary Production Managers (Except Agriculture)
- Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management (Cap reached - Full)
- Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners
- Biologists and Related Scientists
- Specialist Physicians
- General Practitioners and Family Physicians
- Physiotherapists (Physical Therapists)
- Registered Nurses (RNs) (Cap reached - Full)
- Medical Radiation Technologists
- Dental Hygienists & Dental Therapists
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Social Workers
- Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
- Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades
- Electricians (Except Industrial & Power System)
- Industrial Electricians
- Welders & Related Machine Operators
- Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
- Crane Operators
- Drillers & Blasters - Surface Mining, Quarrying & Construction
- Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
More Requirements and Criteria Examined
- Fluency in English and/or French (for Quebec, especially)
- Work Experience - type, number of years, etc.
- Your Age (this is legal)
- Arranged employment in Canada or not,
- Your Adaptability.
Relevent Companies on Workopolis and Contact Information
JD Driver in Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc, and Nisku, AB. Apply at Workopolis.com online.
- Heavy Equipment Operaters
- Entry-level Laborers
- Mobile Crane Operators
North American Construction Group in Fort McMurray. Apply at https://trades-nacg.icims.com/jobs/intro?hashed=0
- Equipment Operators
- Finish Operators
Weatherford Canada Partnership in Alberta. Apply online at Weatherford.com under Career Opportunities.
- Field Mechanics
- Casing Jack Operators
- Inside Sales Reps
- Accounts Managers
- Materials Managers
Design Group Staffing in Alberta. Apply to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mechanical Drafters
- Process Operators
J. Giesbrecht & Son Cranes Employment Office in Edmonton, Regina SK, Saskatoon SK, Winnipeg MN. Apply at http://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/30621%20
- Crane Operators
- Crane Dispatchers
Largest Oil Boom Job Increases 2011 - 2012
Seven Major Cities are experiencing increases in oil and natural gas, with several more cities providing oil jobs.
More by this Author
For a job interview, are you prepared to answer every crazy, impossible question without exposing your flaws? Prepare for your interview by reading these right answers to those very wrong questions.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...