How can I get more traffic to my website?
How to get more traffic to your website
I recently got the following question from somebody who was looking to sell more of his products online. “I would like to know how we can get more traffic to our website”? he asked.
Today, I have decided to add some more information to the answer I sent him and share it with everyone on Hubpages. I believe these methods of getting traffic cheaply or free can help just about any business doing or looking to do business on the Internet.
So here are 7 strategies to help you drive more traffic to your website cost effectively.
Online Paid Advertisement
Paid Online Advertisement is the quickest way to start driving decent traffic to your website.
By decent traffic I mean targeted traffic, people who are interested in and actively searching for what you have to sell. This is the best time to present your product or service to prospective customers or clients.
Online paid advertisement is nothing like offline advertisement:
Where you have to pay a huge amount of money upfront even before your ads are shown.
Contrast this with On-line paid advertisement, where you
- only ever pay when people have seen your ad and interacted with it by clicking.
- only spend what you can afford and willing to
- choose the people who see your ads
- decide exactly the maximum you will pay, when people click on your ads.
When your Online Paid Advertisement is set up and managed properly, you have the peace of mind knowing where traffic for your business is coming from. You are not hoping or wishing what should happen.
There are several paid advertisement networks out there. However these are the ones which I think are worth your time if you are just starting out:
- Google AdWords Search - https://adwords.google.com/
- Google Display Network - http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/
- Yahoo!/Bing Ads - http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/home
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/advertising (especially good if you are a local business, serving a specific geographic region or if you are just looking to generate leads)
- LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/advertising
I am sure you know eBay & Amazon. These are great places to either list or advertise your products.
Here are a few things you can do to make use of these market places.
- List your items in the correct category on eBay, making sure that you use the right phrases which describe your product or service.
- Amazon, you can open an Amazon store (http://webstore.amazon.com/). People who go to Amazon are buyers, they trust Amazon and you can leverage that trust.
- Many people don’t know this, but Amazon is also an advertising platform. You can drive traffic to your website through Amazon advertising, you can reach millions of Amazon shoppers this way - http://services.amazon.com/content/product-ads-on-amazon.htm/
Classified Advertisement Websites
Just as paid advertisement networks, there are also several Classified Advertisements Websites on the Internet.
However I am only going to mention a couple which are really worth your time if you are just starting out.
- Craig’s list http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites. List your products or services on Craig’s list and make sure you write good advertisement for them. Always include an offer.
- Gumtree – There are buyers on Gumtree. People go there looking to buy and you can channel some of those buyers to your website, by putting up a listing there (free or paid).
Social Media Marketing
Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/search/pins/). Create a Pinterest account and pin images of your products. People will re-pin and you get traffic and referrals that way.
Site images (http://images.google.com/ & http://www.bing.com/image). Make sure you tag and SEO optimize all images on your website properly. You will start getting natural traffic from image searches.
Google Places (formerly called Google Maps) (http://www.google.com/business/placesforbusiness/). Get your business listed on Google Places/Maps, it is free and will sure generate you a lot of local business in due course.
Google Plus (https://plus.google.com/). Create a Google+ account for your business, listing your services. Join and participate in communities where your potential customers hangout.
The number 1 mistake most businesses make is to only participate in communities with people offering similar service like them. Use Google+ to connect with your potential customers or clients.
Facebook Pages – Create a Facebook page for your business (not just your profile) and link back to your website. Start by promoting your page to get “likes”. Encourage your current customers to leave feedback. You will be surprised by how many referrals you get from Facebook alone.
Remember your personal Facebook profile is not the same as Facebook pages. Create a Facebook page for your business here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/create/
Once you get enough fans on Facebook, try and turn them into leads. You can do this by offering them some kind of free incentive. Avoid trying to overtly sell on Facebook, people are not there to buy.
Bing Places for businesses – add a listing for your business on Bing Places, using this link - https://www.bingplaces.com/
Youtube Channel – youtube.com is now the second largest search engine after Google.com. Create short 3-minutes videos and post on Youtube. The more views, likes and interactions your videos get, the higher they will rank on Google. Traffic from Youtube coming to your website will generally convert better than traffic from other sources.
LinkedIn – join groups where you will find your potential clients and take part in discussions.
Content is King
- Articles – Write articles on article sites and link back to your site. Examples: Squidoo.com, hubpages.com, ezinearticles.com, etc.
- Review Sites - Get listed on review sites and encourage all your customers to publish a review. Personally when I buy online, I read at least 4 to 5 reviews.
- Blog – You should really have a blog to which publish articles at least once a week. Even if this means getting other people to write the articles for you. Eventually, if your articles are of good enough quality – unique, informative - the search engines will pick them up and send free traffic to your website.
Make email marketing part of your long term strategy.
Offer something free on your website in exchange for a name and email address and get visitors' permission to send them useful information in the future.
For an eCommerce site you could “bribe” visitors with a $10 discount code to give you their contact details.
For this you need an email service provider, there are some very good and affordable ones out there like:
Watch the 2 videos below to find out more about the power of email marketing.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
I am going to be very brief with this one - make it easy for search engines to find and index the content on your website or blog.
There is very good information on the Internet on how to make your website search engine friendly and also how to ethically make your web pages rank well in search engine results pages (SERPS).
These are my preferred sources of SEO beginner training:
- Neil Patel - The Advanced guide to SEO - www.quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-seo/
- MOZ - The beginers guide to SEO - http://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo
- Aaron Wall - SEO Training - http://training.seobook.com/seo-training-overview
So there you have it, 7 cost effective strategies to help you get more traffic to your website.
From my experience, one tragedy of marketing online is that most people start off without an plan and then give up too soon.
Hopefully with the 7 strategies I provided above, you will be able pick the ones that apply to your business, make a plan and stick to it for some time.
Don’t give up too soon. Apart from paid advertisement which can start bringing you traffic almost instantly, most of the other strategies require time, up to 6 months sometimes before you start reaping the benefits.
I encourage you to ask me questions, if there is anything you want clarification on or which you want to explore further, don't hesitate to post your question or comment here. Send me a private email if you feel like it.
Please share the strategies and tactics which have worked for you in the comments below.
Did you find this article useful?See results without voting
About Email Marketing
© 2013 Sporty
More by this Author
Free IPTV - How to get free Internet Television and safely watch TV channels or listen to radio over the Internet for free. Information only available here.
Find out what your ideal weight should be and put your mind to rest once and for all, or do something about it.