High Paying Jobs In Maine
Job Markets In Maine
Maine is a gorgeous state in summer and autumn for sight seaing and enjoying the coastline. Winter is exciting with skiing and other outdoor sports.Travel and Tourism make a large industry inthe state, but other industries contribute much to the local and state economies in Maine.
After a surge of new job listings for Maine in January 2012, the numbers of jobs listed declined sharply throughout January and February, to stabilize at a lower point in March 2012. Jobs stayed at this level throughout the year to the end of 2012 (see graph below).
Numbers of Jobs In Maine Stable March - December 2012
Job Numbers and Locations In Maine
At the end of December 2012, over 19,500 job vacancies were listed for Maine acorss all Internet sources, but this is not a significant number of jobs available to area job seekers that include over 51,000 people.
The cities in which larger numbers of jobs are offered include:
Portland, Bangor, Augusta, Lewiston, South Portland, Biddeford, and Auburn.
Highest Demand Jobs include:
- Nurses - RNs
- Engineers - Manufacturing, Electrical, IT
- Dental Assistants
- General Dentists
- Warehouse and Inventory Jobs
- Pizza Hut Jobs - Management and Crew
- Dental Lab Technicians
- Truck Drivers
- Physical Therapists and Assistants
- Certified Nursing Assistant/Patient Care Techs
- Assistant Store Manager
- Sales Representatives
- Medical Assistant
- Technicians - various industries
Job Search and Resume Registry Sites
- Job Search Engines - Full Listings and Reviews
Job Search Engines on the Internet can greatly reduce the amount of work required to secure a new job.
- Maine Employment Application - Online State Job Application Service
Store your resume online and apply for Maine jobs here.
- Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities
- Newenglandjob.com - find a job in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Ve
Works fast online and has many job listings. Find a new Job in New England on Newenglandjob.com - jobs in computers, insurance, engineering, and 18 different skill areas. Post your resume!
Most Active Job Markets in Maine
Living In Maine
Job Outlook for Healthcare Occupations
Within the Healthcare Industry that will provide the largest number of new jobs to Maine through 2020, the fastest growing numbers will be in the following job titles:
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Requires less than a 4-year degree and provides a median wage of over $28/hour. A 4-year degree increases income.
- EMTs and Paramedics
- Radiology Techs
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Physical Therapists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Veterinary Techs
- Medical Records and Health Infomatics Techs
Many of these healthcare careers pay high wages compared to those in other industries.
Additional Jobs Outlook
After Healthcare, the industries contributing the highest number of new jobs expected to 2020 include:
- Food Prep and Service - Waitstaff, Fast Food workers, Cooks
- Sales - Retail Salespeople, Cashiers, Sales Reprersentatives
- Personal Care Jobs
- Healthcare Support Jobs: Assistants, Aides, Orderlies, Patient Care Techs
- Office Jobs
- Construction and Extraction Jobs - Building, Oil & Gas, etc.
References: Bureau of Labor Statistics and the State Government of Maine.
The following private employers are recommended by many sources as some that consistently maintaining the largest employee groups:
- Hannaford Bros Co - Supermarkets thoughout the state, founded in 1833.
- WalMart / Sam's Club
- Maine Medical Center - Portland
- LL Bean Inc. - Famous catalogue stores founded in 1912.
- Eastern Maine Medical Center
- T D Banknorth N A
- Unum Provident - Portland
- Central Maine Healthcare Corp - Lewiston
- Maine General Medical Center
- Shaws Supermarkets Inc.
- Verso Paper Corp -- Statewide mills, with other facilities in Michigan and Ohio.
- Home Depot USA Inc. and Lowes Home Centers
- S D Warren
- St Mary's Regional Medical Center
- Southern Maine Medical Center
- Rite Aid of Maine Inc.
- University Of New England
- Aroostook Medical Center Statewide - Maintains clinics inside some WalMarts.
- Attendant Services Inc - South Portland
- Bates College - Lewiston
- St Joseph Hospital - Bangor
Jobs Increasing In Number that Require a Bachelor's Degree
Median Wage through 2018
General and Operations Managers
Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
Accountants and Auditors
Business Operations Specialists, All Other
Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
Special Education Teachers, Preschool, Kindergarten, and Elementary School
Child, Family, and School Social Workers
Computer Systems Analysts
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
Medical and Health Services Managers
Public Relations Specialists
Training and Development Specialists
- Top 20 Jobs in Maine
- The Top 10 Hot Jobs In Portland, Maine
With over 230,000 people living in the Greater Portland Area and over 64,000 in the City of Portland, the area experiences low unemployment and an abundance of jobs that need to be filled. The city is ranked as one of the 10 Safest American Cities...
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE137
Who's hiring? Economic recovery in jobs became more visible in October, 2012 and even more substantial in 2014. Learn what jobs are in highest demand for now and in the future.
Useful Employment and Industry Market Forecasts for the United States and United Kingdom.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...