Make Money Copywriting from Home
Copy vs. Content
Copywriting is creating blog posts, articles and webpages for someone else. You sell the work and no longer own it.
Content Creation is creating your own article that you post on HubPages or a blog. You earn money off of advertising.
What is the Difference?
HubPages is where I write what I like: Like most new Hubbers, it has taken me a while to sort out what I want my HubPages site to be. I like the fact that I have complete control on what I write here and how I say it. My Hubs can reflect my personality, my interests, and can be a place I can display what I know.
As a copywriter, you are ghostwriting for someone else. The pieces you write may not be particularly interesting to you, and you may actually not believe everything someone wants you to say. You also are bound by certain styles, conventions (like using short paragraphs, bullets and keywords) which are set by the client.
10 Sample Copywriting Job TopicsClick thumbnail to view full-size
How Much Can You Make?
The Results: I've Created a Modest but Steady Income Source. One year after starting, I had made about $750 dollars from HubPages (about 150 Hubs), and $2300 (about 230 jobs) from Zerys. However, I did not start earning anything until about five months of being signed up with, and 6 months of being signed up with Hubpages. At the one year mark, I had made $5 average per Hub I had written.
I had made about $10.00 average per Zerys copywriting job. Of course, I will continue to earn from HubPages through residual income. However, I do like the fact that with Zerys I am able to make more money faster choose how much I make. While writing more Hubs will eventually increase my income and lead to more income over the long haul, if you want money now, copywriting may be part of the mix.
5 Year Update: After five years of working both on HubPages and Zerys, I've been able to duplicate my income as a part-time college English lecturer if I work about 15-20 hours a week on copywriting. Now, I have over 300 Hubs which continue to earn me money daily, on average about $17 a day, 365 days a year. While I could just do nothing on my Hubs, I work hard to keep them current and to revise, edit and add new content to keep them relevant. Probably, I spend at least 8 hours a week. Generally, I earn between 10-25 dollars an hour writing copy for Zerys. I could make more money working full time, but I like the flexibility of writing when I want and taking time off for family.
Generally, copywriting jobs are done for businesses, but other than that the topic area is wide open. If someone does something or sells something, they probably need someone to write about it. Actually, I often enjoy learning through my copywriting. I've written on a wide variety of subjects, including:
- Maid Services
- Chartering your Jet for hire.
- Life insurance
- Designing Log Cabins
- Teaching the Bible to Your Children
- How to Care for your Elderly Relative.
- College Radiology Programs
- Italian Fast Food.
- Storage Bins.
- Tattoo removal.
- HVAC servicing.
- Plumbing services.
Why are you interested in Copywriting?See results without voting
As my experience shows, there are a wide variety of copywriting jobs available. Most of the jobs are from businesses who are looking for content for their website such as:
- Web pages
- Short descriptions of products
- Blog posts
- Articles on business topics
- Explanations of a product or service
What is Zerys?
Zerys is a middleman between writers who want work, and people who have websites and need to have articles, blogs and other information written for them. takes a percentage of the price the client pays for providing the following services:
- Giving writers an easy way to get jobs.
- Allowing writers to pick and choose when and what they want to write.
- Providing the writing software to help you correctly use keywords and keeps track of keywords and word count as you write.
- Providing a safe platform for writers and clients to interact.
- Paying writers twice monthly through Paypal.
- Providing technical assistance and help.
Content Writing Explained
How Does It Work?
- After signing up with Zerys and providing a writing sample, you will get a star rating from 1 to 5. The star rating determines which jobs you have access to on the job board.
- When you go to the job board, you can see the various writing assignments available. You click on them to get more details and then have 5 minutes to accept the assignment.
- When you accept the assignment, you then have a day or more to finish it, spellcheck and grammar check and then submit it to the client. Some projects are reviewed by an editor and then by the client. Other projects just go through the client check.
- Clients can accept, reject or ask for a re-write. Out of 650+ jobs I've done, I've had 16 rejected (about 2%). My rejection rate is rather low, perhaps because I have extensive experience in writing. Zerys suggests an average rejection rate of about 10%, so be prepared for that.
How to Prevent Copy being Rejected
Here are some things I've learned to reduce the problem of rejected material:
- Be wary of taking jobs from first-time clients. Almost all of my rejections were first time clients who did not seem to understand the system and how to ask for the copy to be re-written.
- Be careful about taking jobs which are longer, such as white pages or E-books which may take up a lot of time (I got burned on this one time, in spite of sending the client a preview which they seemed to love).
- Send a nice note to the client expressing any concerns you have about copy if you are not sure it is what they want, and always offer to re-write (often I find that what a client wants re-written is a rather small matter).
What do Clients do?
Clients go through the Zerys board and set up:
- What they want written.
- Which person they want it written in (I, you, or he/she).
- Keyword or phrase needed.
- The density of keywords desired (0.5 to 1.5% is typical and easy to do, over 1.5% can be tricky unless it is a single word).
- Style of writing and whether they want headers and bullets (that is typical).
- Sample copy or web page information to use as an example.
- Website of the company (which helps you have more information and also to have an idea of the style and tone of the company).
Some clients do not fill out all of the information. It can be tricky if the client doesn't let you actually know where your work will be posted and you have to guess what they want. Sometimes that can mean they are very willing to accept whatever you want to interpret their title to mean. Other times, they have something in mind but aren't quite sure what that is and hope you will figure it out.
More by this Author
If you are a mom who'd like to write from home, consider HubPages and Copy Writing from home. Mom of 5 gives tips for how to build writing business.
Do you want to work as an online writer? Experienced copy writer gives 5 tips for writing a sample copy that gets you a good first rating.
How to write better sentences? Easy tips to improve sentences just by changing the first word with a list of alternative first words included, plus ideas for faster and easier writing.