How to save your eyesight from heavy or prolonged computer usage
Save your eyes from high computer usage [High Hubtivity]
- Very few people were lucky to come across some good advice on how to protect their eye health prior to use of computers. I was one such individual. Eyes are the most affected part of the body through heavy or prolonged computer use. A sizeable number of people began complaining eye complications and later wearing spectacles as soon as they began working with computers. I hate spectacles, I hate them. If you do not have a pair on your face, avoid having to need one! They do not correct an eye complication; they are just like crutches-just keeping you going with your defect.
- Do you spend more than 3 hours a day working or maybe playing on a computer? If so, you are at a higher risk than casual computer users. This does not disqualify people who work on a computer for less than 3 hours a day to suffer eye complications due to computer use. The guidelines below are meant to assist you safeguard your eye health. The whole issue on eye problems comes from straining your eyes. Relaxation of your eyes is a key element to a good eyesight and eye health.
- It is important to understand that most people who work for very long hours staring on a screen end up with a myopic condition. Continuously focusing at near objects (reading and staring on the screen) causes the eyeballs to adapt by altering its shape-becoming fatter and more circular (forgetting far focusing)-a condition referred to as being shortsighted.
- This usually comes together with a condition called dry eyes -eyes failing to produce enough tears leading to dryness, friction, irritation of the eyes and blurred vision. Tears are very important to avoid eye irritation as they lubricate the eyes and renew the iris each time you blink. This dryness is caused by the fact that it is natural that when one is staring or concentrating on an object, they tend to stop blinking which is essential for inducing the tear ducts to produce tears.
- In simpler terms continuous and repeated staring results in the tear ducts sought of losing the frequency upon which to produce tears resulting in a condition called dry eyes. Many end up trying to cope with shortsightedness by buying spectacles, and to dryness of the eyes buy buying artificial tears or tear suppliments. But I will stick to the old saying-"Prevention is better than cure".
Your Work Environment and Habits
- Make sure the room or office you work in is well lit. It is not encouraged to have your computer screen lighting more or higher than the lighting in your room.
- Make sure there's open space in front of your sitting position or monitor. It is discouraged to work from behind a wall. Doing so subjects the eyes to pressure and tension. Space in front of you ensures you can take some moments looking at distant objects as you work to limit near focusing.
- Adjust your screen lighting and brightness to make sure you feel comfortable staring at it.
- Take 3-5 minute breaks for every 30-40 minutes of work on the computer as you work. Look at distant objects during these breaks so that your eyes do not forget good "near-far focusing."
You could try putting a reminder if possible as it does no good to your eyes staring on the computer for an entire hour without taking a break.
- Adjust wherever possible the resolution of your monitor or screen to suit your sight. Change where possible the font size of all text that you read to make sure it's large enough so that you do not have to strain your eyes as you read through. [You can achieve this by simultaneously pressing ctrl key and then scrolling your mouse up or down] on any Internet Explore Browser.
- Schedule your work activities to have other activities that do not necessarily involve staring on the screen, like changing finished cartridges for a printer and others depending on your work duties.
- Do not stare on the screen as a computer program takes an hour to install or watch as your web browser takes time to open a slow web site. It can do that without your staring. Take that opportunity to reassure your eyes by looking outside through the window or just off the screen. Only look on the screen when you have to.
- Try where possible to reduce the number of hours you spend on the computer. Of course computers are addictive but the impacts can be ruinous.
I have been a victim of poor work habits and environment. Be wise! A clever man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other people's mistakes. Forthcoming I shall be bringing you more tips and exercises to prevent, cope with, or reverse the impacts of excessive computer usage [glasses, irritation and dry eyes] for heavy computer users.
Comments 19 comments
What does the bible say about Love, Marriage
- Free Online Love, Relationships, Marriage, Family Advice
Online Love, Relationships Advice, Love Bible verses, Marriage Bible Verses