Employment, Education and Travel Opportunities in Oregon
The Lewis and Clark Expedition Trail to Oregon
Oregon Development From 1800 to 2050
Oregon in the Pacific Northwest is in a place known for its historic contrubitions to First Nations and European pioneering lives. The land and lakes have been a crossroads of a sort an done that attracted Lewis and Clark, finally, to the Pacific Ocean with the help of Sacagawea.
Oregon is a land of majestic ancient and new forest growth as well as the Lumber Industry. Wildlife is abundant, from the salmon that spawn in its streams the the bears that catch them as they swim past them. Nature and a new emphasis on 21st Century sustainability has driven new industries to the Pacific Northwest, with the first being hydroelectricity beginning back in 1882. Joseph/Silver Lake, Oregon is home to the Chief Joseph Dam, which is the second major hydroleclectric producer in the USA. Portland OR enjoyed hydroelectricity as early as September 1882.
Logging was another major activity in the early white settlements as they developed industries. Today, major hiring industries include Healthcare, IT, and Tourist/Travel services such as food service. These are all expected to continue to exapand in the 21st Century.
Early History and Settlement in Oregon
- Sacajawea and the Lost Grave
At Cape Disappointment on the Pacific Coast, Sacajawea and all the men were asked their opinions about whether to make camp there or not...
- Lewis and Clark: a Journey: The Geography of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
Geography, journals, timeline and additional text and image information.
- Native American Nations of the United States West Coast
From Alaska and Western Canada, The People of the North migrated eastward and southward, filling Washington, Orgeon, and California, creating new cultures. Videos of Pow Wows from these areas are incredibly striking.
- New Spain: The First and the Last - Things You Never Knew
Spanish exploration and land claims proceeded fully up the Pacific Coast into the areas of Alaska and Canada.
Lewis and Clark Bridge to Oregon - Logging Scenes
Top 10 Oregon Universities, With Top Graduate Schools Attached
- Portland State University - pdx.edu/
- University of Oregon - www.uoregon.edu/
- Oregon State University at Corvallis - oregonstate.edu/
- Western Oregon University - www.wou.edu/
- Southern Oregon University - www.sou.edu/
- Eastern Oregon University - www.eou.edu/
- Oregon Institute of Technology at Klamath Falls - www.oit.edu/
- University of Portland - www.up.edu/
- Lewis & Clark College - www.lclark.edu/
- George Fox University - www.georgefox.edu/
Labor Projections for Oregon 2008 - 2018, Federal and State Statistics
The job titles expected to experience the greatest growth in numbers for the state, among 160,000+ new jobs, include the following:
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Also the fastest growth, by percentage, at 29+% according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. This will likely include growing numbers of Nurse Practitioners (NPs). Healthcare is the industry projected to grow the fastest in Oregon, much faster than any other set of occupations. Travel Nursing with its extra benefits and perks will become increasingly important as job demand exceeds labor pool availability.
- Fast Food, Cafeteria, and Concessions-type dining jobs: These are positions that require the worker to prepare and serve dishes.
- Retail and food service cashiers - includes grocery stores.
- Wait Staff - Full service restaurant staff; part of the Travel and Tourism Industry.
- Clerical: Office Clerks
- General Cleaners and Janitors (also called maintenance men)
- Bookkeeping and Accounting Clerks and related clerks - These entail a greater breadth of training and include more responsibilities than the position of general office clerk. They also are more important, given the ever-increasing use of Forensic Accounting techniques and in assisting Executive Forensic Accountants.
- Receptionists/Greeting Clerks/Customer Information Desk Clerks
- Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) - In-person, Internet, telephone.
- General Managers and Operations Managers
Most of these occupations are in the Services Industries and many are also involved in Healthcare Industry settings: hospitals, medical schools, clinics, and private practices.
Oregon Healthcare Jobs Expanding
- Top 20 Jobs in Oregon - Healthcare
Healthcare jobs and resort-hotels are expanding in the state of Oregon, specfically among the Native American Nations residing there. However, non-tribal businesses are enjoying an expanding business...
Oregon Employment Trends
The graph above illustrates the peaks of job listings and growth from January 2006 through January 2011, although fluctuations occurred yearly. By March 2015, Oregon still offered a total job listing advertised at 52,000 job vacancies. Truck driving and foster care work expanded quickly in 2014 - 2015.
Top Hiring Companies
Kasier Permanente and Providence Health are the leaders in Healthcare Industry jobs in Oregon, which is in the highest demand for occupations here in the 2010s. Intel is the leading hiring company in IT/Computers. Safeway, Strarbucks, and Taco Bell lead in food-related service jobs.
March 2015 High Demand Jobs in Orgeon
At the end of August 2012, Oregon still possessed job listings to the total of 60,000 across all Internet sources. Highest Demand Jobs at this time includes:
- Life Insurance Agents
- Truck Drivers, CDL -- These jobs are expected to increased marked to 2020/
- Financial Products Sales
- Engineers - Mechanical, Electrical and IT
- RN Licensed Nurses and Nurse Practitioners
- Sales Representatives
- Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists
- Grocery Store crew and management positions.
Comparison: Highest Demand Jobs, March 2011
Approximately 60,100 job listings were found across the Internet for Oregon in March 2011. The most frequently listed were:
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executives - Investment, finance, wholesale sales areas.
- Software Engineers
- Sales Representatives
- Baristas – Starbucks and other restaurants
- Shift Supervisors – Various industries.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Increasing numbers of Nurse Practitioners are in high demand within this category.
- Food Clerk/Cashiers
- Courtesy Clerk/CSRs
- Physicians in Family Practice. this used to be falled GP or General Practitioner. As more and more doctors specialized in certain fields 1980 - 2000, the nation fell into a shortage of GPs.
- Deli Clerks – grocery stores
- Project Managers
- AVON sales – Independent Contractors. Increasing numbers of Americans are becoming independent contractors in such fields as retail sales, freelance writing, and others.
Regional Revews: Portland Area
Portland is one of the most active and important cities in the State of Oregon, and the first to receive electricity from hydro-power in 1882.
Oregon Regional Reviews
A full 32,000 jobs of the 52,000 listings in Oregon are located within a 25-mile radius of Portland. This circle encompasses most of available jobs in the state of Oregon.
Life Insurance Sales Agents are highest in-demand workers in this area.
March 2015 Jobs
- Life Insurance Agents and Staff
- Adult and Child foster care program jobs - Albertina Kerr Centers in and around Portand.
- Software Engineers
- Dental and Medical Assistants
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - includes Travel Nurses
- Sales Representatives
- Administrative Assistants
- IT Project Managers
Greater Portland Area Job Concentrations
Suburban Jobs and Travel
- Top 10 High Demand Jobs in Beaverton - Home of Nike
As a suburb in the near northeast area outside Portland OR, Beaverton has access to a large number of jobs in the bigger city, in Hillsboro to the west, and within its own boundaries.
- Top 10 High Demand Jobs in Hillsboro OR
Found in Washington County, Oregon, Hillsboro was named by CNN Money Magazine online as Number 92 among the Top 100 Best Places to Live in America. You may think that the cities and towns in the 90s of this...
Selected Portland Area Attractions
- Welcome to Lewis & Clark Law School in Beautiful Portland, Oregon
Find the best graduate program for you using the US News Best Graduate Schools rankings.
- Carousels In America - Things You Didn't Know
An important Carousel Museum is located in the Portland area.
- Cob Building Revival Center is in Oregon
- Dual Credit Program for High School Students | PCC
- Strange Miniature Golf Courses - Pirates, Dinosaurs, Halloween Haunted Golf
These are the weirdest miniature golf courses you can imagine. They include monsters, a Rube Goldberg machine, a professional wrestler, 3-D glasses -- some of the most exciting are in Portland.
State Capital Area in Oregon
Greater Salem Area
- Eugene OR, Home of "Sing Off's" 'On The Rocks' at UO
Downtown Eugene, Oregon Eugene, Oregon experienced an influx of interestest when their University of Oregon men's a cappella choral group On The Rocks did well in national competition for 2010. They went on to...
- Jobs and Travel in Corvallis OR, College Town
The Suislaw National Forest and River are on the West Coast of Oregon, not far from the Cities of Corvallis and Eugene. America's Promise named Benton County & and its county seat, Corvallis, to their list of...
- Soaring With the Turkeys:Recipes and Research at Oregon State University.
You will find one defintion of turkey is slang for "naïve, stupid, inept or loser. However, these unique recipes will make holiday leftovers seem like they were planned meals all their own. No more groaning about leftovers after the holidays!
Central Oregon Area
- Exploring Fort Rock, Oregon - An Amazing Geologic Formation
Arizona and Utah are not the only states in the western United States that boast some extraordinary geologic formations. If you travel to the northwestern part of the country, you may wish to do some exploring...
- Tour the Cascade Lakes Highway in Central Oregon
The Cascade Mountains are less than 20 minutes away from Bend, Oregon. In fact, one of the reasons we decided to move to Central Oregon was to be closer to nature and have the ability to be on a hiking or...
- Urban Mushing And Central Oregon Vacation: Learn To Dog Sled Or Learn About Urban Mushing
A Central Oregon vacation can offer many things but one activity you might want to try is dog sledding or urban mushing. Urban mushing is actually the same as dog sledding only without the dog sled and a...
Southern Area of Oregon
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Medford, Oregon
The Medford-Ashland Metro Area in Southern Oregon serves as an economic and Medical Services hub for Southern Oregon and Northern California. Very diverse, it includes fruit orchards, shopping malls, skateboarding, firespinning, and pow wows (see the
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.