Ideas for Hotel General Managers
Prabhjot Bedi is a hospitality ideator.
Feel free to call him on +919872000604 or
write to him on firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance whatsoever.
This is the base hub for Ideas for Hotel General Managers.
Most of the ideas are listed on the same page. Wherever required links have been provided for more information.
- Click here to get all Hotel General Manager updates in your Email - FREE!
- Join Other Hoteliers on linkedin
hospemag.com is the leading hospitality resource for news, jobs, views & more! This is the reader group to link In!
10 Ideas to Motivate Your Team
1. Ensure the morning
meeting starts on a positive note. Share a guest compliment, or an
incident or even a team member mention. I know of one GM who starts the day clapping for the engineering department if the unit consumption is below budget for the previous day!
2. Visit one of your HODs in their office. Every day, pick one and go see him/her in his/her office. Sit on the opposite side of the table, and chat. Ask questions, listen and offer solutions only if they ask for it. Ensure you cover everyone in a fortnight.
3. Take an HOD on the property round with you. Share what you look for on an everyday basis. Ask them to tell you what they see, what more could be possible. You will be amazed how different the floors look to the Purchase Manager than they do to you.
4. Take up a team challenge every week. For e.g. Let’s make the process of issuing uniforms faster this week. Get everyone behind a common goal. It doesn’t matter who gets the credit, because no one gets it. In assure you, your HODs will soon be asking you to take up one of their departments tasks/pain point as project for the week.
5. Serve food in the cafeteria. Stand behind the counter, smile, serve. Remember you are a hotelier too!
6. Go to the room of a guest who just complained to the Guest Relations. Knock on the door, introduce yourself, and solve the problem. See how it brings vigor to the team.
7. Visit a client. Go to the clients office and praise your team. Don’t ask the client for how bad they are or what you can do, tell the client how good your team is and what they have been doing for the client. Be the Sales’ sales team.
8. Write a handwritten note to your team member’s spouse if one of your team stays back or is held up in the hotel for long. Let the family know, you value him/her.
9. Create a visual collage and let the entire team paste something on it. Don’t worry about a theme or anything. Let it have a place of pride in your office and let it be known that people can post a new thing to it anytime they want.
10. Appreciate. Learn to appreciate everyone and every little thing they do for you.
More by this Author
This is part of 100+ Interview Questions Answered The reason why this question is so important, is because some have a tendency to answer 'In your chair'. While that is ambitious, I think that an answer like that is...
How can you detect someone's personality in their signature, and what you can do to change the habits of your own personality.
Here is an explanation of what makes a quality résumé objective statement, as well as examples of objectives in the hospitality industry.