Inspiration and Motivation-Developing MusicalTalents
Inspiration a Motivation Factor
We all are unique and possess different levels of God given talent and abilities. For some of us there are those times we are inspired and motivated to learn new things. I want to share one such experience. As a young boy I was surrounded by family who played musical instruments. This is not uncommon here in WNC and the music stems from our Scot-Irish roots. Music played and enjoyed in the living rooms of our home or at family reunions were not that uncommon. The old tunes preserved in our heritage soon became a part of me and it began for me when I first learned to play the guitar. At first under the watchful eye of a neighboring lady who taught me Little Brown Jug and Chewing "Chawing" Gum teaching me only the three major chords (G,C and D) and later learning to play melodies.
Later during the 1960's and the emergence of the Folk revival and with such popular movies as Bonnie and Clyde, Deliverance, the world of bluegrass caught my fancy. The banjo playing of Earl Scruggs with Lester Flatt and the Foggy Mountain Boys became a new inspiration for me. It wasn't long before I had gone to the music store and bought myself a five string banjo and one of Earl's self teaching books. Over a period of time and lots of practice, I soon had Cripple Creek down pat and could play a simple version of Foggy Mountain Breakdown. I still enjoy my banjo and my repertoire has grown over the years. While attending a work shop at Sugar Grove given by the Kruger Brothers I learned 80 per cent of music is written and the remaining 20 per cent is artistic expression which defines all of us who endeavor to play music. The expression given of our skills allows us to connect with listeners and is either accepted or rejected.
About twelve years ago a friend with whom I worked shared a fiddle tune with me that was written in 1985 by Jay Unger to commemorate the ending of one of his music camps. Ken Burns in his Civil War documentary chose this wonderful piece of music as a backdrop. My friends recording was that which can be heard during the reading of a Civil War veteran Sullivan Ballou's letter to his wife. The words and message of the letter are gut wrenching and the music only added to the emotion within the context of this letter preserved in history of teh war that tore families and country apart. After hearing this tune and the words of the letter, I knew I must learn to play the fiddle. It wasn't long before I had purchased a fiddle and learned this tune. It was the music that motivated me.
Over the years I have found it has been some of the most simple things that provided the catalyst for motivation. I don't consider myself to be a great fiddle player but I have found the fiddle to be an instrument that for me finds an expression of none other.
We all can be motivated to learn new things or accomplish goals we have set for ourselves. Whether it be losing weight, writing, or just something as simple as getting our bodies in shape through a daily regimen of exercise, motivation and inspiration are our key allies. In recent years the movies Cold Mountain and Song Catcher along with Oh Brother Where Art Thou and served to inspire others to learn and play acoustic instruments.
Inspiration and Motivation
What are your primary souces of inspiration?See results without voting
Earl Scruggs Phenomenal Banjo player
Merle Travis Awesome guitarist and an inspiration
This tune written in the mid 1980'sby Jay Unger inspired me to learn fiddle.
More by this Author
When I cam home from the Air Force a cousin of mine who owned a used car lot had taken in a 1956 Gibson Country Western acoustic guitar. Almost 35 years later I had it repaired and sold it on eBay. These were great...
Quick and easy, cornbread fritters add a special touch to mealtime.