Top 10 Hot Jobs in Jackson, Mississippi
Sustainable Development In the Metropolitan Area
Jackson, Mississippi is much different from the rest of the USA in that on its Top 20 List of High Demand or Fast-Growth Jobs appears the title Compensation and Benefits, Jobs Analysts. That job title is associated with workers and more specifically, compensation packages, insurance, retirement, and several other elements. Why is a job-related occupation increasing?
This presence on a high demand job list is a hallmark of a job title required by an economy that is not only low in unemployment ratings and thus needing workers, but also high in job and business growth. Because of good economic planning for development in a five-county area, Jackson is also poised to continue high growth and expansive business and economic development for decades.
All this makes the Greater Jackson Area a good place to live and grow in one's career or business ownership. Jackson, Mississippi is recognized as one of the best 25 Medium-Sized American Cities for New Jobs and Business Growth in the 21st Century.
Five SUrr0unding Counties Make This Metropolitan Area
Jackson-Yazoo City Area
The metropolitan area, Jackson-Yazoo City and five contiguous counties, is home to over 570,000 people and Jackson itself, over 150,000 residents.
Urban renovation and reconstruction, including sustainability encompassing facilities, is predominant and set to continue through several decades of development.The occupational title of Environmental Engineer is therefore Number Two on the Top 10 Hot Jobs list for this region of the state.Not only do county and city workforce projections substantiate this projection, but the job listings also support it, as found on Major Internet Job Search Engines.
Top 10 Jobs in the Greater Jackson Area: Jackson - Yazoo City
Information Technology (IT) jobs are not the only occupations booming in the Greater Jackson Area. Health and Medical jobs are available by the thousands and Environmental Engineers and Engineering Technicians are in high demand.
Interestingly, Broadcast News Analysts are in the Top 10 Hot Jobs as well. This is an occupation not seen on many Top 10 Lists of high demand jobs around the country.
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Environmental Engineers - also Engineering Techs
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Medical Assistants
- Home Health Aides
- Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Psychiatric Technicians
Broadcast News Analysts
Top five Largest Jackson Area Employers:
- State of Mississippi government offices and facilities - Hind County, home to Jackson, has two county seats, and therefore more state & County government jobs as well than some other counties.
- University of Mississippi Medical Center - IT, Health, Environment
- United States Government - All Top 20 Jobs
- Jackson Public School District
- Nissan North America Inc.
Job Analyst Openigns Signal Even More Growth
An additional 10 high growth occupations in the Jackson area include the following:
- Industrial Engineers & Techs
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Preschool Teachers, Mainstream
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary (college level, post high school level)
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Database Administrators
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Child Care Center/Program
Education is a top industry in this group of high demand jobs. Because of the job growth in this region, Compensation & Benefits/Job Analysts are in high demand. IT and legal techs are assured of abundant job openings.
Pure Oil Station, 1935
Native American Nations in Jackson
The Choctaw Nation in and near Jackson originally flattened the skulls of their male infants. Sports were very important to Choctaw culture, and their most favored sport was lacrosse. The Choctaws used lacrosse to settle many disputes, rather than going to war with rival nations. However, the matches included biting, striking, stomping, and gouging; and deaths sometimes occurred.
Choctaws bred their own horses and cattle, contributing to area agriculture, but were forced west to Oklahoma by President Andrew Jackson in 1830. However, there is still an official Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.
Choctaw economy is based in agriculture, manufacturing, service, retail, and tourism, including gaming and shopping malls. The Band employees over 8,000 people, 65% of them non-native, and experience new job openings every year.
The Chickasaw Nation's name means "to leave." They warred intermittently with the Choctaw Nation and absorbed African and African American slaves into their tribe. They were all removed to Oklahoma after the Choctaws were forced west, under the Indian Removal Laws of Andrew Jackson's Presidential Administration..
African American Links
- Jackson Black History Museum- Jackson Mississippi African-American Culture- History Artists
Jackson Convention & Visitors Bureau official site. Jackson Mississippi African-American history celebrates the heritage of this vibrant southern city. From the Civil War to Civil Rights, you can experience Jackson black history.
- Mississippi's African American Authors
Mississippi State University libraries installation - Dozens of important writers and their bios.
- The Civil Rights History Project (The American Folklife Center, Library of Congress)
Mississippi oral history project - The Civil Rights History Project: Survey of Collections and Repositories (American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress)
- Mississippi's African American Shape Note Tradition
Post Secondary Schools in Jackson
Bulldog Forest - Mississippi State University
Forest Products Facilities
Sports in Jackson
- Belhaven College Blazers - Several sports for men and women.
- JSU Tigers - Several college level sports.
- Jackson Senators minor-league Baseball
- Mississippi Braves Baseball - Affiliate of the major league Atlanta Braves.
- MS Sports Hall of Fame and Museum - This grew out of the original, local Dizzy Dean Museum.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The Top 15 Fastest-Growing Oklahoma Jobs include occupations in the Transportation Industry, Healthcare Industry and Information Technology (IT).
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...