Job Discription/Upgradation of Stenographer/Steno typist/Personal Assistant – How to Become Stenographer & Get Governmen
How to become a Stenotypist/Stenographer, Private Secretary and get Govt. Job IN Pakistan
They are known as Steno typists/stenographers in government sector and in private sector as Private Secretary. Their role and functions are the same. A newcomer is appointed as a Steno typist. The initial basic scale of a Steno typist is BS-14. After few years of appointment a steno typist is promoted as a Stenographer or Assistant Private Secretary in BS-16. The next stage of promotion in Government sector is Private Secretary. A private Secretary is a post of basic scale 19.
Steno typist/Stenographer/Private Secretary is considered to be a post where candidates have to face much less competition to get a job in government sector in Pakistan. Unlike other clerical vacancies in Pakistan where nepotism and corruption is very common, the post of steno typist or stenographer/Private Secretary purely fulled on the basis merits. This is due to the nature of work of the steno typists/stenographers. Stenotypists/ stenographers/Private Secretaries have to work with senior officers. They take dictation from the Officers and only person competent to take dictation could fulfill the requirements. An incompetent candidate may fail and an incompetence stenographer may adversely affect the performance of the officers. Hence, keeping in view this situation, bureaucrats always try their best to fill in the posts of stenographers/Private Secreteries without getting any political pressure.
Qualification of a Steno typist/stenographer:-
The qualifications of a Steno typist/Stenographer are as under:-
1. In federal government the basic qualification of the stenotypist is matric. However, Punjab Government requirement of a steno typists are Intermediate.
2. He could take dictation of 80 words per minute. For a stenographer dictation speed is 100 word per minute. To get the proficiency in shorthand, prospective candidates have to attend the courses of shorthand training where they learn Pitman's Short Hand. In order to get proficiency in short hand it is incumbent for the candidate to have good proficiency in English.
3. Steno typist could type with a speed of 40 words per minute. For stenographers word per minute speed is 50.
4. Besides, computer proficiency, especially in word processing programme is also necessary.
Job Opportunities for a Stenotypis t/ Stenographer/ Private Secretaries in Pakistan
As discussed above, there are great opportunities in Government Sector and there is a guarantee of a government job for the competent candidates. However, in private sector scope of such jobs is very limited and very highly qualified candidates could be able to get a job of a private secretary in private sector. In private sector females are preferred for the post of Private Secretary. However, as a private secretary the incumbent the lady has perform tasks which bring her very close to the boss and in the society of Pakistan where the man has the dominating power, the incidences of sexual harassment and humiliation are very common especially in the cases of Private Secretaries.
Stenotypists/Stenographers are beneficiaries of the introduction of computers in the Government Sector. Earlier, they have had to type their work on typewriters and most of the stenotypists were suffering from shoulder muscle pain. However, introduction of computers has created much ease in their performance of job. A stenotypist (BS-14) has to work with an officer of Grade-17 and 18. A stenographer (BS-16) has to work with an Officer of Grade-19 and 20 while a private secretary is posted with an Officer of Grade-21.
Job Description of Stenographers
1. To take dictation from his officer.
2. Get the print of the dictation.
3. To attend the telephone.
4. To manage private/important correspondence of the Officer.
5. Any other assignment that is given by the Officer.
Salary of a Stenotypist/ Stenographers:-
Earlier, the stenotypists were enjoying the Basic Scale of 12. However, now the scale of Stenotypists has just been upgraded. Now their scale is 14. This means that in the beginning salary of the stenotypists in the government department will be around Rs.15,000/- (inclusive of all perks).
Promotion opportunities for a stenotypist in a government sector are not very encouraging. They enter in the job in BS-14 and most of them get retired in BS-16. Stenotypist after completing five years service and subject to availability of vacancy for promotion, is promoted to BS-16. In some Punjab Government Departments Stenographers are promoted as Admn. Officers or Staff Officers but such instances are very rare. Generally, a stenographer is promoted to the post of Private Secretaries. A private secretary has to work with an Officer of Grade 21.
Upgradation of the Post of Stenographer:-
The Prime Minister of Pakistan has recently approved the upgradation summery of stenotypists, stenographers and private secretaries. According to new scales, stenotypists would get Basic Scale-14, Stenographers-16 and Private Secretaries would continue to enjoy Basic Scale-17.
More by this Author
- 2How to Get Registered for Income/Sales Tax with Federal Board of Revenue using E-FBR? - Sales Tax & NTN
There are many hurdles in getting registered with sales tax using Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) online portal. This is a complete guide for getting your income tax & sales tax number in 2014-15
- 2How to become A filer and included in Federal Board of Revenue's (FBR) Income Tax Active Taxpayers List
The tax rates for filer and non-filer taxpayers are different in Pakistan. Non-filers have to have pay more tax. How to become a filer and what is active taxpayers list (ATL) is explained here.
- 228How to Submit/eFile Income Tax Return and Wealth Statement Online With FBR for Tax Years 2014, 2015 & 2016
A complete guide to submitting/e-filing income tax returns and wealth statements for tax years 2014, 2015 & 2016 via FBR's IRIS system. How to get NTN before submitting returns.