Best Fast Growing Jobs and Relocation Resources For New Mexico
New Mexico Remains Strong With Aerospace, Healthcare and IT Businesses
New Mexico was well able to withstand the effects of a US recession of 2001 - 2002. The recession of 2008 - 2009 resulted in some job loss in the state, but in lesser numbers than throughout the rest of the nation.
State of New Mexico overall unemployment was at a relatively low 4.4% at the end of the 3rd Quarter of 2008, while the higher national average was calculated to be 58 percent higher at 7.6%. new Mexico has continued to grow in population and create new jobs ever since 1960 and is forecast to continue in these long-term trends (see chart below).
A focus upon the Sustainability industry and green collar job development, including alternative energy resources and technologies are key. for example, photovoltaic manufacturing along is creating hundreds of new jobs. Space Travel is emerging as a strong industry in New Mexico as well, stemming from a healthy Scientific and Technological Research and Design sector.
At the end of January 2009, the state jobs department illustrated that about 70% of jobs in the state do not require postsecondary education (college or university). On-the-job (OJT) and short-term training certificates suffice for these occupations.
In the future, additional new jobs in New Mexico jobs will require additional training, into the ranks of courses for longer-term certificate training, apprenticeships, and AA and higher college degrees. Internships and fellowships are applicable, especialy in the rising Sustainability Industry.
New Mexico is growing faster than surrounding states in the Southwest. Its four neighbors are showing loss of population through migration out of the states each year, while New Mexico is showing a net gain of residents. People are moving in and staying to enjoy long-term careers and business interests.
The state and its major metropolitan areas are expected to continue to grow through 2017.
Success of New Mexico and American Spaceports
- The Spaceports Of North America - Ready For Business
Imagined Lunar mining facility. As of the end of 2012, North America supported 13 spaceports, with one in Canada and the reamining dozen in the USA.These ports are real and they are not all government operated. In fact, with the emergence of the...
The Year of Sustainability in New Mexico
- AlbuquerqueGreen - City of Albuquerque
Comprehensive web page and resource Directory for sustainability in this city and around New Mexico.
Ecoversity is a non-profit community educational learning center. There, people and organizations explore sustainable living, ecological design, and methods for achieveing wise stewardship of the Earth. free classes and workshops open to the public.
- NM Sustainable Building Tax Credits
Building tax credits building projects.
- Permaculture Institute
Permaculture Design Certificate Courses, Topbar Beekeeping, orchard management, water harvesting, watershed restoration and natural building. Workshops, classes, and events.
- Sustainable New Mexico
Green Living - Eco-Friendly Events, Alternative Energy Resources, Education, Travel, Organic Farming, many more elements.
- UNM Sustainability Studies Program
University of New Mexico is visibly active in Sustainability programs for long-term business growth. Current projects include food & diet for lowering carbon emissions, traveling Solar and Biofuel kioks, and a Dragon Farm of two dozen elements.
The Population of New Mexico
Although the United States as a nation has continued to increase in population (around 330,000,000 in early 2009), growth has been inconsistent.
From 1990 - 2000, 684 of the nation's 3142 counties reported a net population loss and most of these counties were in the Great Plains Region. However, a total of five counties, with three in Colorado and two in Georgia, doubled their total populations. Also, 80 OTHER counties experienced growth rates higher than 50% increases.
Considering the nation and its population as a whole, 1109 of its counties reported population growth that beat the national average of 13% increase from 1990 - 2000. New Mexico is a state that contains some of these counties.
The two largest segments in the New Mexico population are 1) individuals ages 5 - 19, and 2) ages 35 - 49. These are children & youth and mid-careerists, families that will likely grow even further with a) additional children in these families and b) additional families moving into the state. The children and youth category contains more males than females, while the older category contains more females than males to nearly the same degree.
Some very good news is that the povery levels of all age groups in New Mexco declined significanty from 1990 - 2000 and continued to do so through 2008..
New Mexico Growth and Diversity
- Photo Gallery #6: Navajo and Other New Mexico Native American Groups
Shiprock, New Mexico and other locations. This site offers 19 separate galeries of high quality photos.
Sustainable New Mexico
The fastest growing occupational clusters in the state include:
- Computer Software Applications Engineers - Especially in Aerospace and Healthcare.
- Accountants & Auditors - Includes Forensic Accounting.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) and Nurse’s Aides and support staff
- Personal & Home Care Aides; Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Medical Assistants
- Elementary, Middle School and High School Teachers
- Law Enforcement and Corrections Officers
- Retail Sales Persons and Customer Service Representatives
- Food and Beverage Preparation Staff & Servers – All types and levels
- Social & Human Service Assistants
- Las Cruces on FaceBook - A friendly town in an engaging format. Representatives of Las Cruces are quite engaging an dready to help with answers to your questions on their FaceBook page.
- Top fast growing cities in New Mexico were named to this list of the 30 best cities in America for jobs - even in a recession - by CareerBoard.com for 2009. These cities are expected to continue to grow in both population and new business & jobs during the first half of the 21st Century. Green business and citywide sustainability initiatives are making this possible,
- New Mexico State University: Center For Latin American and Border Studies - Culture and Tourism. Located in Las Cruces NM and less than on hour away from the NM - Mexican Border. This center promotes teaching, research, and community outreach about Latin America, the US-Mexico Border & immigration, and border studies everywhere in the world.
- New Mexico State Parks and Monuments - Recreation, Tourism, and the Environment. Descriptions and locations of all the State Parks and National Monuments in New Mexico. This site includes a map and environmental information as well. From the New Mexico Buereau of Geology and Mineral Resources.
More by this Author
Who's hiring? Economic recovery in jobs became more visible in October, 2012 and even more substantial in 2014. Learn what jobs are in highest demand for now and in the future.
Useful Employment and Industry Market Forecasts for the United States and United Kingdom.
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.