High Demand Jobs in Chicago to 2024
Top 15 High Demand Jobs in Chicago to 2024
Over 80,000 Jobs Open in 4th Quarter 2016
- Wind Turbine Manufacturing and Service Professionals at companies like Siemens, Invenergy, and Woodward MPC. Alternative energy professions are increasing in number.
- Occupational and Physical Therapy assistants
- Physical and Occupational Therapy aides
- Home Health Aides
- Truck Drivers
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Operations Research Analysts
- Financial Advisors
- Genetic Counselors
- Interpreters and Translators
- Optometrists and Hearing Specialists and Technicians
- Forensic Technicians
- Health Technologists and Support Staff
Best Places to Look for Jobs
- Offices of Hospitals, Physicians, and Other Healthcare Practitioners
- Home Healthcare Services
- Public Health Services, especially Government
- Computer Systems and Data Companies
- Temp-to-Perm Employment Services
- Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
- Schools and Educational Support Services
- Management, Scientific and Technical Companies
- Motor Vehicle and Parts Manufacturers and Dealers. Note that Chicago Assembly is the oldest operating ford assembly plant in America.
- Mineral and Energy Extraction and Manufacturing
- Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne National Laboratory provides jobs and internships under the auspices of the University of Chicago for the U.S. Department of Energy.
Supercomputing to help cure cancer.
Improvement in clean rooms and telescopes.
New ways to use hydrogen fuel.
Archaeology and dinosaurs.
New findings about the laws of physics.
Chicago, Illinois offers many job openings in a number of important industries.
The Healthcare Industry
The rapidly-aging population of the Chicago, Cook County, Illinois and the Midwest and a surging health-consciousness among residents of the state has created a demand for jobs in the occupational titles of medical assistant, physician assistant, home health aide, physical therapist, occupational therapist, respiratory therapist, pharmacy technician, dental hygienist, and medical scientist.
Animals need healthcare as well, thus the Chicago area pet population needs more veterinary technicians and technologists, as well as veterinarians.
Information Technology (IT)
Chicago is attracting increasing numbers of information technology (IT) companies that are bringing job openings with them. These job titles include network systems and data communications analyst, database administrator, computer systems analyst, computer software engineer, and computer and information systems manager.
This is very important to Chicago's urban renewal projects. Chicago is also expanding quickly. This has led to a higher demand for all of those professions involved in city/urban planning, such as environmental engineer, landscape architect, and surveyor, to name a few. Chicago is working on green industries and sustainable resources in this area as well.
Many jobs are available for preschool and childcare teachers, early childhood administrators, K-12 teachers and administrators, special education specialists, vocational education teachers, and for teachers of self-improvement courses.
Chicago Dream Job: Public Address Announcer, Wrigley Field
Find this position and many more Chicago sports listings that could lead to your Dream Job atr major job search engines.
Become the new Voice of the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.
Quote from Job Posting:
- Strong vocal talent, excellent enunciation skills
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to speak extemporaneously to large crowds
- Strong knowledge of baseball
- Must be available for all Chicago Cubs 81 regular season home games, makeup games, tie breaker games, play-off games and non-game day events. Schedule includes nights, weekends, non-traditional hours and holidays, as needed
- Ability to work outdoors during periods of extreme weather
- Prior experience working as a Public Address Announcer in collegiate or professional sports (television or radio preferred)
- Interest in supporting Cubs' community and charitable efforts a plus"
Resources for Your Chicago Job Search
Hot Jobs 2016 - 2018
Top Employers with Listed Job Vacancies
- JPMorgan Chase
- Advocate Health Care Network
- HCR Manorcare
- University of Chicago
- Resurrection Health Care
- US Cellular
- Ernst & Young
- Fifth Third Bank
Hottest Jobs In Chicago Area, 25-mile Radius
- Physical Therapists
- Project Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executives
- Customer Service Representatives
- Business Analysts
- Sales Representatives
- Event Specialists
- Senior Accountants
- Java Developers
- Administrative Assistants
- Account Managers
- Financial Analysts
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- General Practice Dentists
Woman Owned Businesses
1400 businesses are registered and certified as Women and Minority Owned Businesses in Chicago.
Higher Education in Chicago
City Colleges of Chicago
This group is a network of seven community colleges, a distance learning center for computer and internet-based studies, a culinary school, a French pastry school, and several satellite branches. This group of schools also has their own TV station, listed below.
- Richard J. Daley College
- Harold Washington College
- Kennedy-King College
- Malcolm X College
- Olive-Harvey College
- Harry S Truman College
- Wilbur Wright College
- Center for Distance Learning
- French Pastry School
- Washburne Culinary Institute
- Satellite Campuses
- WYCC Channel 20 - 21 DT
Four-Year & Other Colleges and Universities:
- Argonne National Laboratory - A large multi-program laboratory operated by the University of Chicago for the U.S. Department of Energy.
- School of the Art Institute
- Chicago State University
- College of DuPage
- College of Lake County
- Columbia College
- DePaul University
- Doc Films -- The Documentary Film Group is the oldest continuously running student film society in America. It provides low cost, high quality venues for a wide variety of films to the University of Chicago and city of Chicago.
- Dominican University
- East-West University
- Elmhurst College
- Harper College
- Harrington College of Design
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- International Academy of Design & Technology - Chicago
- Joliet Junior College
- Lake Forest College
- Loyola University of Chicago
- Loyola University of Chicago's Stritch School of Medicine
- Moody Bible Institute
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Northern Illinois University
- Northwestern University
- Oakton Community College
- Robert Morris College
- Roosevelt University
- Triton College
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Wheaton College
- Westwood College Chicago
- Wilbur Wright College
- Governors State University
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Columbus and Central Ohio offered careers and job opportunities in Insurance and Financial Products, the Healchcare Industry, Information Technology (IT), Management Analysis, and Skilled Occupations as well as...
Sioux Falls SD has landed in any of the Number 1-5 slots on the list of Top 25 Best Small Cities for Jobs and Business in America for several years. It is a fast-growing community that offers a huge number of jobs in...
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!