Jobs Tripled In Flint, Michigan
Jobs Increase in Genessee County
After job listings tripled for Flint MI, listed job counts remained steady throughout 2012 - 2013. Additional increases resulted in 11,000+ job listings in early 2014 and 16,660+ listed positions open by the end of October 2014. After a slight decline, over 15,000 Jobs were offered in listings in June 2015.
Flint, Michigan Business District
Coney Island Heaven In Flint
Flint, Michigan is home to at least a dozen good coney island restaurants and one of my favorites is Leo's Coney on 4151 Miller Road. The menu is widely varied, with American,Greek, Mexican and other dishes. Service is fast and staff is friendly. I found this place accidentally one day while visiting career colleges for information and was quite pleased with the restaurant.
Jobs and Business
Highest Demand Jobs
Highest Demand Jobs within 25 miles of center city, Flint.
- June - July 2012: 9,700 Jobs
- January 2014: 11,000+ Jobs
- November 2014: 16,660+ jobs
- June 2015: 15,000+ Jobs - Trucking Driving, Nursing, IT Jobs
- January 2017: 20,000 Jobs within 30 miles, largely Management, Sales, Pharmacy and Medical Assistants
- Truck Drivers with CDL - Largest expanding jobs in the nation, largest cluster of ads for job in Flint.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Several highly paid specialties are hiring, including Travel Nurses
- IT Managers and Engineers
- Engineers - Automotive drive train and aerospace engines
- General Managers, all fields
- Engineering Technicians
- Manufacturing and QA Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Sales Clerks - Includes grocery stores.
Chrysler Has Provided New Jobs
Companies Advertising the Most Jobs
- Chrysler - Chrysler 866-428-9904
- CRST Van Expedited
- QCI Health
- McLaren Regional Medical Center
- General Motors
- Swift Transportation
- Covenant Healthcare
- Gordon Trucking
- Hogan Trucking
- Ageatia Technology
- HP - Hewlitt Packard
- Rgbsi.Com - Vendor management company
Largest Employers in Genessee County
- Delphi (delphi.appone.com) is the largest employer in Flint and #22 in the state of Michigan.Jobs.Net- Flint
- SnagAJob - Flint MI
- MichiganLive Flint
- Hurley Medical Center
- General Motors
- Genesys Health System
- McLaren Medical Center
- City of Flint Government
- Genesee County Government
- Flint Community Schools
Top 10 Fast Growing Jobs to 2018 and Percentage Increase
Healthcare Positions will continue to increase into the 22nd Century.
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts 35.8% Increase In Jobs - many of these jobs will handle health and medical data as well as other data.
- Physical Therapy Aides 29.9% increase
- Physician Assistants 28.7
- Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians 28.6
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications 27.3 - Some apps will be for health.
- Environmental Scientists and Specialists, Including Health 26.3
- Physical Therapist Assistants 26.3
- Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides 26.1
- Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors 24.2
- Medical Equipment Repairers 23.5
An additional 20 occupations to watch from 2008 - 2018
- Nursing, Psychiatric, and Home Health Aides 23.5% Increase In Jobs
- Self-Enrichment Education Teachers 23.3
- Pharmacy Technicians 22.5
- Dental Assistants 22.3
- Personal Financial Advisors 22.1 - Indication of economic recovery.
- Respiratory Therapists 22.0
- Dental Hygienists 22.0
- Medical Assistants 22.0
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists 21.6 - Indication of Economic recovery.
- Surgical Technologists, Cardiovascular Techs and Radiation Therapists (all over 21%)
Registered Nurses (RNs) have fallen down the list of growth, but are still expected to increase jobs by at least 19%.
COMPARISON: Fast Growing Jobs to 2014
Most of these leading jobs are in Healthcare and Information Technology (IT - Computers) and require education and training beyond the High School Diploma. Many of the IT jobs will be directly or indirectly related to the Healthcare Industry.
- Physician Assistants 46%- will likely increase through 2100 AD, as will the remaining Bold Face entries.
- Medical Assistants 39%
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts 39% - IT
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians 32%
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers 31%
- Physical Therapist Aides 30%
- Database Administrators 29% - IT
- Computer Applications Software Engineers 28% - IT
- Physical Therapist Assistants 27%
- Grounds Maintenance Workers 27%
The additional following 10 occupations will continue to increase through 2014 as well, by percantages of 22 - 27% each. Many of these are also in Healthcare and IT businesses. Teachers are also in increasing demand in the Flint Area, especially in Career and Vocational Colleges.
- College & Certificate Level Computer Science Teachers
- Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators - IT
- Computer Systems Software Engineers - IT
- Occupational Therapists
- Other Postsecondary Teachers
- Budget Analysts - Accounnting and IT
- Registered Nurses [RNs]
- Home Health Aides [HHAs]
- Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
Service Centers for Job Search and Placement, Childcare and Insurance options, Education & Training, Transportation and several other supportive services are offered. Major Service Centers are located in each county.
Flint, Michigan Skyline
Controversy and Economy
Flint, Michigan is the home of millionaire Michael Moore. He has made a number of films and raised a substantial amount of controversy in political and social issues. At the same time, other ask why he does not inject some omney into Flint to help the economy and create new jobs.
I happen to pass through Flint several times a year for travel and business. About 18 months ago, I could not find an open gas station off I-75 on the main streets of the city. About 6 months ago, I found a few operating gas stations, which is a better sign. Another good sign is that while Borders Books closed down many of their stores in the MidWest, a very nice one remains open in Flint.
The Greater Flint Metropolitan Area covers the Michigan counties of Genesee & Shiawassee and is near the Midland-Saginaw-Bay metro area, just to the southeast. It is also very mear the Thumb Area. I-75 North and South run cleanly through Genesee County and Flint, major rennovations to that highway being completed from 2003 - 2008. Driving through this area 5-6 times a year, I find the trip pleasant, with smooth roadways and little traffic congestion. Flint itself has undergone growth and new commercial and public works contruction in these five years as well.
This region was made famous in 2004 by Flint native son Michael Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11.The Flint area was portrayed as having a dearth of jobs and a seeming majority of depressed people. However, since my visits to Flint began to increase in earnest in 2004, I've seen that evidence of some economic growth is mounting and new jobs are coming soon.
While it is true that manufacturing jobs have been disappearing from the Flint area, Green Collar and Healthcare Industry jobs have begun to emerge to replace these numbers. MichiganWorks! is available in each county and each larger metro area to help individuals with career assessment and to provide some level of education and training to individual job seekers. When using the services of MichiganWorks!,the job seeker must be dedicated and persistent with follow-up to ensure they receive the best attention from the MichiganWorks! representatives.
This Hub will list open job listings in and around Flint, with information about the excellent higher education I have witnessed in this region and information about MichiganWorks!
Greater Flint Community Cultural Plan
Greater Flint Area Community Cultural Plan - Flint, Michigan
Since 2004, a master plan for lifting up the community of Greater Flint has worked to bring cultural and economic advances to this region.
The revitalizing of Downtown Flint is accomplished through the Uptown Reinvestment Corporation and Uptown Six - six individuals that are coordinating downtown development and expansion. Greater Flint is progressing in the same manner as Bridgeport Connecticut, which has made surprising successes. Included are such projects as:
- Flint Metal Center - Flint is the birthplace of General Motors, which has received $56,000,000 in funding to develop fuel-efficient vehicles. The Metal Center stages a yearly New Vehicle Show to display cars and trucks of the new season.
- Flint Fine Arts Academy
- Flint Urban Arts Center
- GFA Sports Hall of Fame
- GFA Afro-American Hall of Fame
- The Community Foundation of Greater Flint
- Greater Flint Arts Council
- Greater Flint Health Coalition
- Sloan Museum and Longway Planetarium
- Many small strip shopping centers and a larger mall - the Genesee Valley Center. Several good coney island restaurants around the mall.
- Flint IMA Arena/Perani's Event Center
- Greater Flint Dart Association
- Golf Courses in the Greater Flint Area
M-Club of Greater Flint
The M-Club and the Alumni Club of University of Michigan at Flint make strong connections with area students. These clubs provide money and other support for scholarships to current, prospective, and newly-admitted students of the U of M who are from Greater Flint. The University of Michigan-Flint
Leading Colleges and University
Kettering University & High Paying Jobs
To enhance education and the economy of Flint, the Flint Children's Museum, located on the campus of Kettering University has constructed an outdoor learning center that includes gardening, nutrition, and physical fitness.
Kettering University also partners with employers in Greater Flint to connect students with well-paying jobs. For example, the Kettering Undergraduate Co-op program places 2,300+ undergraduates in a co-op/internship with UPS, General Motors, Walt Disney World, the CIA, Biomet, Detroit Diesel, and others. Nearly all Kettering undergraduates work in a co-op program and present a thesis connected with their employers and their jobs.
Ninety-Eight Percent (98%) of Kettering graduates receive good job offers, many thankfully to the co-op program. In addition, US News & World Reports has named Kettering's as one of the Top Engineering Programs in the country.
I interviewed with Davenport University in Flint in 2006 in order to learn about their programs, jobs, and staff development for the future and was much impressed by their facilities, staff, and programs. A new, up to date facility and parking lot welcomes students and visitors with a good initial impression. The well designed interior is filled with cordial yet professional staff that are there to assist the community. The receptionists are of the highest caliber I have met in any industry. The staff and faculty are dedicated to improving the lives of individuals in the community. To that end, a new learning center and computer laboratory was opened at the end of 2005, with markedly positive results.
In 2008, DU began offering the program of Global Project Management (GPMT) with a BS in Computer Information Systems (CIS). It offers the chance to delve into finance and healthcare as well as CIS alone.It will prepare students to complete the Project Management Institute (PMI) certification exam.
The 15-credit specialty, offered through the School of Technology, prepares students for positions such as global IT project manager, process development project manager, failure analysis project manager, services account manager, and others. It is also available at DU Online at www.Davenport.edu. Check the website for specific bachelor's degrees and certificates available in Flint.
The Premier Technology Network in Michigan
ConnecTech is an association for Michigan's Technology Professionals. It provides a professional network for employment and industry news as well as for lifelong learning opportunities. Chapters meet in the various counties and metro areas of Mighican and the homepage supports podcasts and relevant online articles. Webinars are also available. Click on ConnecTech.
Indigenous Jobs and Business
Central Michigan Native AmericansClick thumbnail to view full-size
Native American Businesses
Several Native American peoples settled in the Great Lakes region of America, particularly in the Michigan and the Genessee - Siawassee county areas.
Today, Native Americans operate a number of successful businesses beyond the resort-hotel that many have expected to see on the reservation. The following list is some of the local merchants and organizations of the local nations:
- Carman-Ainsworth Community Schools: Native American Programs
- Native American Tree Farm - Eason Drive in nearby Howell MI
- Geronimo Traders
- Soaring Eagle Resort - Mt. Pleasant, to the northwest
- Spirit Keepers
- Southwest Imports
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Missouri is a state of many attractions and one of them is high paying jobs in growing industries.
The largest growing occupation in Chicago was Choreographer, replaced by Healthcare, Information Technology (IT), Forensics and Trades. Aerospace is catching up quickly.
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.