Jobs And Business In Missoula, Montana
Thousands Of New Jobs Every Year 2016 - 2020
Missoula is called The Garden City, because it offers consistently mild winters in Montana that do not interfere with usual activities. On discussion boards online, such as city-data.com and e-podunk, residents proclaim how much they like the city and county as place for good living.
A variety of outdoor sports in all seasons help make it a fun place of interesting venues year 'round. These include opportunities to cycle, hike, ski, snowboard, fish, run rivers, and ride mountain bikes.
Missoula Montana has been recognized by financial magazines as Number Two on the list of the Top 25 Best Small Cities in America for Jobs and Business.
In addition, local authors from Missoula have brought recognition to the city. This includes th well known John Updike, who nicknamed Missoula "The Paris of the 1990s." This moniker attracted much attention, and was a factor in the conditions responsible for some of the new startup businesses that brought jobs to town and provided the impetus in the 2000s for further economic growth.
This all is especially is true of Retail and Tourism, Accommodations, and Hospitality. However, Healthcare is a big contributor to the local market area economy.
Missoula is located on the Clark Fork River, with The Bitterroot River at the southwest edge of the city and the Big Blackfoot River on the east side. The much respected University of Montana makes its home in Missoula City, along with the Northern Regional Headquarters of the US Forest Service [Yellowstone and Glacial National Parks are very nearby].
The city and county are surrounding by forests and have taken up the larger Green Initiatives of the country. Going Green is establishing many new jobs in Missoula County and many job categories offer over 1,100 new jobs each, every year!
Missoula, Montana: Paris Of the 1990s, Great For Skiing
Beauty In the Skies Of NW MontanaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Revitalization Brings even More Jobs
Missoula hosts the Big Sky Film Festival of documentaries every year, a supporting player in the revitalization of the Missoula City Downtown Area. Visitng notables such as Garrison Keillor have pointed out that Missoula is unique - like the West with herb tea and eastern influences. International wildlife films are shown at their own company in downtown as well, among several microbreweries, museums, art galleries, Dragon Hollow playland, and a large and most beautiful Carousel Park. The Carousel facility can be used for special events and features a working merrygoround with intricately designed horses.
Irish and German festivals are held yearly in the Downtown Area and The Missoula Ospreys minor league baseball team is popular as well.
Top 10 Fast Growing Jobs in Missoula County
These Fast-growing Occupations increased at a rate of 60+% from 2006 - 2016, including:
- Computer Software Applications Engineers
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts
- Industrial Engineers
- Dental Laboratory Technicians
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Helpers in the Construction Trades
- Pharmacy Technicians
Geoscientists and Environmental Scientists and Environmental Techs are also increasing in numbers significantly in the fast-growing green industries and alternative energy projects in the county,
Town Pump – Montana's Best since 1953— Town Pump Stores
High Demand Jobs Needing Filled Now
- Town Pump Stores - Groceries, convenience, truck stops, motels, casinos, other
- Providence Health & Services
- The Village Senior Residence and Health Care Center
- Community Medical Center
- Lithia Auto Stores
- TravelCenters of America LLC
- Hillside Health Care Center
- University of Montana
- Holiday Inn - Missoula
- Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
Largest Area Employers
The largest employers in this county include businesses involved in Heathcare Services, Retail, Media, Development, Production, and additional Services.
Six leading employers in particular, presented in bold text blelow, are active in Healthcare and Personal Care Services, adding a total of over 1,100 new jobs to this area annually.
- Community Medical Center
- St. Patrick Hospital
- DirecTV Customer Service
- Nightingale Nursing Services
- Western Montana Clinic
- pportunity Resources
- Stimson Lumber Company
- Smurfit-Stone Container Corp
- Albertsons Grocery Stores
- Consumer Direct Personal Care
- Costco Buying Club
- Missoula Developmental Service
- The Missoulian Newspaper
- Village Health Care Center
Other Jobs Increasing Significantly in Numbers
These Specific Occupations are creating from 1,000 - 1,200 new positions yearly in Missoula County:
- Office & Administrative Support
- Construction and Extraction Jobs
- Sales and all Related positions of alll kinds - Retail, Wholesale reps and salespersons, etc.
- Food & Beverage Preparation and Service
- Construction Trades and Helpers
- Management Jobs across industries
- Healthcare Pracitioners and Technicians
Sports & Recreation
LOCAL HUNTING & FISHING GUIDES – http://missoula.montana.com
A variety of ski sports abound in Missoula, including cross country, telemark, and alpine, combined with snowboarding venues in many recreation spots. .
- Discovery Basin - www.skidiscovery.com - 32 ski runs over 360 acres
- Lost Trail - www.losttrail.com - 18 ski runs and cross country trails
- Snowbowl - www.montanasnowbowl.com - Close to Downtown Area in ther Lolo National Forest (see map above).
- Whitefish Mountain - Farther away, in Flathead National forest, but offers more ski runs and several lifts
WHITE WATER RAFTING
- Missoula's Whitewater Central - www.missoulian.com/ - search for canoe and kayak retreats.
- Montana Rivers - American Whitewater Affiliation; americanwhitewater.org.
University of Montana Overview
Job Search Help
Missoula Certified One-Stop Center
- 539 S 3rd Street W Missoula, MT 5980; Phone: (406) 728-7060
Local Colleges and Universities
- University of Montana - Home of Montana Grizzlies Sports
- Montana State University Nursing School - Extended Campus at Missoula
- College of Technology - associated with U of M.
- Wild Rockies Field Institute
University of Montana - A Top 10 School
The University of Montana is on the short list of 10 schools in the entire country to meet every one of the standards for the National Council on Teacher Quality study for proper and effective curriculla and delivery to future teachers of mathematics.
- College of Technology - Arts & Sciences, Computing & Electronics, Business, Health Professions, Industrial Technology
- Continuing Education – in class and online: Extended Learning Services , Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Regional Learning Project
- Graduate Degrees - Graduate Non-degree Programs , International, Other
- Law School
- Skaggs School of Pharmacy
- School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science
University of Montana - Visit the full website.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Science fiction as a discipline has told us for decades that we can make replacement parts for human beings. In the 2010s, we began to accomplish this by 3D printing biological materials.