Sacramento, California Increases Jobs Significantly
Sacramento Architecture is Awesome!
A Witty Commercial and Economic Growth
A particularly entertaining TV commercial for California in the 2000s ended with the state's First Lady, Maria Shriver and her husband, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, as he asks, "What are you waiting for? Come on over." The commercial may have helped influence businesses and people to move into the area, because after the Great Recession of 2008 - 2010, jobs increased here.
In addition, the citizens of the entire state worked to keep their state parks open with volunteer service. Further, sports fans supported their favorite California teams and keep nearly all of them in business. In many ways, despite mudslides and economic panics, California is the place to be.
California capital Sacramento historically provided 8,000 - 10,000 new jobs annually during 2000 - 2010 and in 2012, an average of 13,000 - 15,000 job openings on the major Internet job search and analysis sites. However, the big news in 2015 is that the area hosted at least 20,000 open jobs (daily averages) from February to July, not counting part-time summer employment!
Top Five American Cities
San Francisco, just to the Southwest of Sacramento, and San Jose to the Southwest are on the Top Five Cities list for increasing jobs after the Great Recession.
Sacramento Neighbors Doing Well
San Francisco is about 1.5 hours away from Sacramento by automobile and San Jose is a little farther.
Top 5 Cities For Jobs After Recession 2008 - 2010 Include Two In California
- North Dakota - All combined metro areas. Huge increases in jobs and strong economy, based in Oil & Gas production.
- San Jose, California
- Austin, Texas
- San Francisco, California
- Houston, Texas
Top 10 High Demand Jobs in Sacramento
The Top 10 High Demand Jobs include the following, according to Internet-wide job listings for Sacramento gathered from January 2012 through June 2015. Truck Driving is soon to become Number One in 2015.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - This includes Travel Nurses and Nurse Practitioners.
- Truck Drivers with CDL certification. America began a surge of new truck driving jobs in 2014, with a top posting of over 1,000,000 jobs in mid-2015. Salaried and owner-operator jobs are still increasing.
- Engineers, various fields - Aerospace engineering is expanding in California with the increase in American Spaceports.
- Retail Salespeople and Sales Representatives
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists
- Oil & Gas Industry Jobs
- Associate Governmental Program Analysts
- Office Technicians
- Staff Services Analysts and Managers
- Staff Services Managers
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Entry Level Retail Clerks & Customer Service Staff
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Assistant Store Managers
- Staff Information Systems Analysts
- Pharmacy Interns
- Shift Supervisors
- Crew People at casual dining shops and some retail establishments
Sacramento has experienced a high demand for registered nurses yearly and this is a good opportunity for RNs to travel to Sacramento through Travel Nursing, which provides higher than usual wages and several additional benefits.
Other individuals interested in healthcare careers can enroll in a college in the Sacramento Area and earn an RN in two years and a BSN in three or four years. These students may begin working in some aspect of nursing before graduation.
An interesting aspect to the need for approximately 600 additional K-12 teachers in Sacramento per year is the advance of online education and the need for teachers that can instruct pupils over the Internet with a variety of technology for companies such as Knowledge Learning in the Sacramento area.
Remember the Alhambra! (1927 - 1973)
- Sutter Health | Doctors and Hospitals | Northern California
Sutter Health is a family of doctors and hospitals, serving more than 100 communities in Northern California including Sacramento, San Francisco, Modesto, Stockton, Roseville, Castro Valley, Tracy, Burlingame and Palo Alto.
- Top 500 Hispanic Businesses from HispanicBusiness.com
Find Business, financial, and market news for Hispanics and Latinos from leading Hispanic business magazine with news covering Entrepreneur, Auto, Finance, Reseach, Events and Jobs
Northern California Location
Employment Projections to 2020
The State of California expects the following occupational titles to fall into the Top 10 fastest increasing jobs, by percentage increase highest to lowest (Reference: www.labormarketinfo. edd.ca.gov).
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Graduate Teaching Assistants (TAs) - (at graduates schools)
- Agricultural Sciences Teachers - college level
- Business Teachers - college level
- Vocational Education Teachers - college level
- Health Specialties Teachers - college level
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Veterinary Techs
Green Industries and Agencies
The largest single employer in the Sacramento Area is the California Air Resources Board, concerned with air quality enhancement and green industry development. The environment and renewable energy sources are the number one priorities of this important green state agency.
Also among the largest employers in Sacramento are the County Water Quality office and the State Water Resource Department.
Sacramento is dedicated to greener living with clean air and water, greener industries of all sorts, and particularly in the area of offering green collar jobs.
Innovation in Green Industry
Area water treatment plants have begun examining an all-natural water filtration system since the late 1990s in California and reported on Public Television in various markets.
This system is based in a long series of large green plants that live in water-filled troughs through which waste water for treatment is passed through their roots in a flowing stream. At the end of the line of beautiful, tall plants, the water is crystal clear and ready to drink.
Not one chemical is used in the process. Such innovations will maintain and create green jobs throughout the 21st Century in Sacramento city and county and are a model for the nation.
Peacemaker and the Indigenous Peoples' University - East and West Meet
D-Q University is a school founded by Native American, Mexican-related and similar Metiz peoples for the good of all indigenous peoples.
The letter D represents the Name of the Great Peacemaker, Denagawida, of the Eastern Woodlands peoples. He encouraged the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy, or Hodenoshone, the oldest representative democracy in the world. Their constitution is the model for the US Constitution, per official US Congressional Records.
The Peacemaker's full name is spoken or written only in a religious ceremonial use, much as G_d is written by some of the Jewish faith out of respect, rather than to use the entire word and reduce the Most High to a lowly, limiting word in doing so.
The Q is for the great Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec prophet of wisdom, self-discipline, and self-mastery.
Thus, D-Q University carries a pround belief, mission, and philosophy in service to indigenous peoples and the local community at large.
D-Q University is California’s only tribal college, founded in 1971. It is currently repairing and refurbishing its facilities, as did Antioch University in Western Ohio.
California State University, Sacramento; Native American Program
Native American Studies Program Minor (21 hours)
- Introduction to Native American Studies
- Native American Experience
- Native American Sovereignty and U.S. Laws
American Indians, Film and Popular Culture
(Electives approved by Native American Studies Program Director.)
Sacramento Native American Nations, Bands, and Rancherias.
- Native American Nations of the US West Coast
From Alaska and Western Canada, The People of the North migrated eastward and southward, filling Washington, Orgeon, and California, creating new cultures. Videos of Pow Wows from these areas are incredibly striking.
- Native American Nations of the Far Western US
Native Americans and Indigenous Peoples developed different cultures from Alaska and Hawaii inward through the western United States...
Attractions Reference Map
Some Nearby Points of Interest
- Angels Camp Museum
- The Bernhard Museum Complex
- Calaveras Big Trees Park
- California Caverns
- The California Military Museum
- California State History Museum
- California State Indian Museum - This is a wondrous place to visit if you are on the West Coast, far away from DC and The Smithsonian Native American Indian Museum.
- California State Mining and Mineral Museum - Learn about the Gold Rush.
- California State Railroad Museum
- Empire Mine State Park
- Gold Country Museum
- Hangtown's Gold Bug Mine
- Marshall Gold Discovery Park
- Sacramento County Airport System - Sacramento International, Executive and Mather airports
- Sacramento Regional Transit Light Rail
- Sacramento Regional Transit at http://www.sacrt.com/
- Roseville Transit Communter Buses
- Two types of Paratransit transportation, rural and city, are available to the physically challenged
- Greyhound Buslines
- Several Taxi Companies
Sports Related Opportunities and News
League Teams - Baseball
- Sacramento River Cats (AAA) - Baseball farm team for the Oakland Athletics ( the Oakland A's).
Professional Sports Teams - Basketball
- Sacramento Kings (NBA)
- Sacramento Monarchs (WNBA) - Unfortunately, this women's team failed to qualify for finals in 2009 and closed down altogether two months after the end of the season. Fans still miss them!
- Sacramento Knights - World Indoor Soccer League
- Sacramento Capitals - World Team Tennis
High School Sports
- Sacramento City USD
- High School Sports Blog: Sacramento Bee.
Major Colleges and Universities In the Sacramento Area
Accredited Area Colleges
- American River College
- Cosumnes River College
- Sacramento City College
- Sierra College
Great Nursing Schools in the Metro Areas, San Francisco - Sacramento
Universities and Professional Schools
- California State University at Sacramento
- CSUS - Regional and Continuing Education
- University of California at Davis
- UC Davis - University Extension
- UC Davis - School of Law
- McGeorge School of Law
- University of San Francisco
- University of Southern California
Additional Local Schools:
- Business And Technology Training Institute
- Cal-trade Welding School
- Capital Bible College
- Charles A. Jones Skills And Business Education Center
- Compuvista Business Institute
- Elite Progressive School Of Cosmetology
- Federico Beauty Institute
- Integrative Therapy School
- Lincoln Law School of Sacramento
- Los Rios Community College District Office
- Maric College - Sacramento Campus
- Moler Barber College
- MTI College
- Northwestern California University School Of Law
- Precision Technical Institute
- Professional School of Psychology
- Sacramento City College
- The Union Institute
- Travel And Tourism Institute
- Trinity Life Bible College
- Truck Driving Academy
- University of Northern California - Lorenzo Patino Sch Law
- University of Phoenix - Sacramento Valley Campus
- Western Career College
Governor's Mansion Park
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...