Utah - Jobs In A Land of Opportunity
Rising State Economy and New Jobs
Utah has an extremely strong economy, resulting in the personal income of residents of the state growing at a speedier rate than anywhere else in the USA in the first half of 2007.From 2008 - 2016, individual and family incomes also rose.
Utah developed 54,500 new jobs in 2006, or a full 5 percent of all the jobs created in America. Ironically, this state has possessed only 1% of all American jobs up until the point of the New Job Boom in Utah beginning in 2006, as reported by the US Department of Workforce Development. Jobs again increased in both 2010 and 2011 overall (see charts below).
By November 2015, Utah enjoyed a consistent 40,000+ job listings.
The Top 20 Fastest-Growing Jobs in Utah include Medical and Healthcare Industry jobs, along with increasing Information Technology (IT) job positions that can be available in many different businesses and industries. The largest employer sin the state are health and medical organizations, universities, the Mormon Church, the National Guard, and various commercial industries.
Growing Companies In Utah
Salt Lake City International Airport is experiencing a consistent upswing in the number of passengers - many of them business passengers - traveling through the terminal; so much so that the facility is expanding and replacing old runways and concourses. Fifteen (15) different airlines fly out of Salt Lake City International. Passengers have increased from 11 million to 16 million from 1988 - 1993 and today stand at over 2,000,000 per month as of July 2007.
New warehouses, malls, and other commercial developments are developing new jobs for all experience levels. New roads are under contraction and will offer high-paying jobs for some years to come. The housing market is stable and growing, resulting in additional construction related job openings.
Raytheon Co. is the leader in missile manufacturing and will offer hundreds of new jobs in the next several years. They have purchased Oakley Networks to expand sales of computer-security systems to the U.S. Federal Government. The company is a member active in the NASA Commercial Crew.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is constructing a $11,400,000 BioCenter in Logan, Utah in order to manufacture containers for the businesses of life science research, biotechnology, and pharmaceuticals. Multi-million dollar urban renewal projects, including green industries, are also offering high-paying jobs. In addition, the state has several large irrigation and water reclamation projects that require skilled workers.
Utah is also a state that welcome new and expanding businesses:
Aircraft Manufacturing Increases
Airplanes and related vehicles are in high demand in America and around the world. Assemblers are need in Utah for Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems.
Jobs Growing by the Largest Percentage to 2022
A surprise to the federal and state employment forecasters, Utah and America coast to coast saw an upswing of demand for Truck Drivers beginning in 2014 and continued throughout 2015. Additional jobs that forecasters believe will increase include:
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Helpers (Labor) for Electricians
- Helpers for Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Biomedical Engineers
- Painters of Transportation Equipment
- Health Specialties Teachers - Postsecondary
- Orthotists and Prosthetists
- Interpreters and Translators
- Credit Counselors
- Skincare Specialists
- Nursing Instructors and Teachers - Postsecondary
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Home Health Aides
- Information Security Analysts
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Physician Assistants - Includes many Nurse Practitionrs
Green Industries Around Utah
- Central Utah Gardens
Water conservation, virtual garden, classes and events.
- Red Butte Garden
University of Utah: Gardens, floral shows, workshops, gardening camps, monthly gardening tips online.
- Thanksgiving Point
Thanksgiving Point Gardens, the Childrens Discovery Garden, Farm Country, and the Museum of Ancient Life, Emporium, restaurants -- family-friendly. Master Gardeners, painters, technology educators and more.
- Utah Botanical Center
A teaching garden for urban space planning, wetlands, wildlife, water reclamation, hiking and other offerings.
- Utah Energy Rated Homes
Sustainable energy and energy efficient homes. News, events, teaching and learning, announcements, sustainablity programs.
The Uintah and Ouray Reservation of Native American Nations is located in Northeastern Utah at Fort Duchesne.
Popular Attractions In Utah
Dinosaur National Monument
This Dinosaur National Monument Park provides 10,000 years of dinosaur history.
The cliff face of the Dinosaur Quarry in this national park features 1,500+ dinosaur bone fossils embedded in it in the side of a mountain. A virtual tour is available online at the link below.
The Fremont Indians lived in Dinosaur National Monument Park since as along ago as 800 - 1,200 into the past, followed by the Ute and Shoshone, whose descendants live there today.
Native Business Locations In Utah
Native American Business
Confederated Tribes of the Goshute Reservation: Post Office Box 6104; Ibapah UT 84034
- (801) 234-1136
Northern Ute: Uintah & Ouray; Post Office Box 190; Fort Duchesne UT 84026
- (435) 722-5141
Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah Tribal Council: 600 North 100 East Paiute Drive; Cedar City UT 84720
- (801) 586-1112
Skull Valley: P.O. Box 150; Grantsville UT 84029
- (801) 931-6126
Native North American Petroglyphs Are AbundantClick thumbnail to view full-size
Native North Americans In Utah
- Native American Nations of the Far Western United States - Indigenous Heroes: Last Navajo Code Talke
Native Americans and Indigenous Peoples developed different cultures from Alaska and Hawaii inward through the western United States...
- Comanche Code Talkers Of WWII Awarded Congressional Medal of Honor In 2013
The Comanche men that used their native language as a secret code for America during WWII were sworn to secrecy until more recently. Their families received their Congrssional Medals in Novembr 2013.
Higher Education in Utah
- Brigham Young University: Provo, Utah. This is also the largest employer in the State of Utah, hiring faculty, administrative, research, and clerical staff. The Cedartree Memorial Pow Wow is an annual event at the end of March on this university campus, admission free to BYU students.
- College of Eastern Utah: Price
- Dixie State College: St. George
- George Wythe College: Cedar City
- LDS Business College: Salt Lake City
- Neumont University: South Jordan, Utah
- Salt Lake Community College: Redwood, South City, Jordan, and Miller, plus satellite campuses
- Snow College: Ephraim, Utah
- Southern Utah University: Cedar City
- University of Utah: Salt Lake City
- Utah State University: Logan
- Utah Valley State College: Orem
- Weber State University: Ogden
- Westminster College: Salt Lake City
Sports Opportunities in Utah
College and High School
- Brigham Young Cougars - Provo
- Utah Utes - Salt Lake City
- Utah State Aggies - Logan
- Utah Valley State Wolverines - Orem
- Weber State Wildcats - Ogden
- Ogden Raptors (A) - Ogden
- Salt Lake Stingers (PCBL)
- Utah Grizzlies (IHL) - Salt Lake City
Professional Sports Teams
- Utah Jazz (NBA) - Salt Lake City
Arenas and Stadiums
- Delta Center - Salt Lake City
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Healthcare jobs and resort-hotels are expanding in Oregon, including among Native American Nations. Non-tribal businesses are enjoying an expanding economy and tourism is increasing.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.