Keeping Your Motivation
Not Much Comes Easy
There are many things in life that don't come easy. Maintaining a successful relationship, getting a new business off the ground, graduating from college and buying your own home all take time and effort. Things and accomplishments that are worth the most to us often take a longtime to see fulfillment. Adverse conditions and bumps in the road can often take a beating on our motivation to succeed. Time and time again people start a project and never finish because they lose their motivation along the way. Those who stay motivated through the rough times eventually succeed. And, the "I did it" feeling after achieving something that seemed at times impossible is the best feeling in the world.
Tips on How to Keep Your Motivation
- Treasure your goal and keep it close to your heart. The most important key to motivation is never to lose sight of your goal - stay focused on why you are doing what you are doing. Keep your goal in the forefront of your mind at all times.
- Acknowledge the progress you are making towards your goal. Even the toughest roads have some bring spots. Acknowledge them.
- Take setbacks as temporary bumps and not permanent blockers.
- Find a mentor who can help guide you and support you on your journey. Surround yourself with people who have succeeded. They may be willing to share their knowledge and advice. It always helps to talk to someone who has been where you are.
- Stay positive. Negativity harms motivation and makes you feel like doing nothing. Positive people are forward thinking and want to take action.
- Make up your mind to not give up. Once you decide that walking away is not an option, you have no choice but to go forward.
- Have faith in yourself. Believe in you and your dreams.
More by this Author
An article about the role of cognition in our intimate relationship patterns.
The advantages of and practical steps of how to make someone "dead to you" so you can get on with your life and be happy.
What to do when you get cussed out on the job.