Good Food and Jobs in Lafayette LA
Alexandre Mouton House
Founded by Acadians
The parish seat (county seat) of Lafayette Parish and the centerpiece of the Lafayette-Acadiana area, Lafayette City began as the Acadian settlement Vermilionville in the early 1820s. Later, it was christened in honor of French General Lafayette, who assisted the Americans in the Revolutionary War.
In the 20th century, the area became properous in its oil and natural gas discoveries, as well as its Creole and Cajun (Acadian) cuisine.
In the 21st century, Lafayette and surrounds, have targeted Green Industry and Urban renewal through DowntownAlive.org. Transportation in the downtown area is easy, with a transit system, taxis. Greyhound Bus Line, and Amtrak trains as well as Greyhound-Amtrak connections not available elsewhere in many states.
Very interesting are some of the nonprofits located downtown, including CODOFIL, the Council for the Development of French in Louisiana. Their website appears in three languages: French, English, and Creole at Codofil.org.
Top 10 Jobs in Lafayette-Acadiana
The Lafayette area is growing population, economy, and job openings, as shown in this Top 10 List. The population, however, is not keeping up with the number of job openings available.
- Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs - Ths is an indication of the growing numbers of workers and tourists, including business travelers, entering the Lafayette-Acadiana Area.
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts (IT)
- Mainstream Preschool Teachers - This high demand occupation indicates that many children are being born to Young Professionals and Mid-Careerists in the area.
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Medical Assistants
- Computer Software Applications Engineers (IT)
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Public Relations Specialists
- Advertising and Promotions Managers - This category indicates an upswing in business economy.
Largest Employers in the Lafayette Area
The 5 largest employers in the Greater Lafayette Area include 5 that are among the Top 50 Largest Employers of the state:
- Little Zorah Baptist Church (Number 1 in the state)
- Acadiana Sharpening Service
- Lafayette Information Service
- Lafayette General Medical Cetner
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Local Large Healthcare Employers:
Additional Fast Growth Jobs: IT, Environment, Health & Sports
- Database Administrators (IT)
- Computer Systems Software Engineers (IT)
- Dental Hygienists & Assistants
- Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, except EMTs
- Chemical Technicians
- Child Care Workers
- Personal & Home Care Aides
- Coaches and Talent Scouts
- Physical Therapy Aides
- Environmental Engineers
- Obstetricians and Gynecologists
The Cajun Mardi Gras 2008
AREA SPORTS TEAMS
- Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns of The University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- Lafayette Bayou Bulls - Semi-pro Football
ARENAS & VENUES
- Cajun Dome.com
- Cajun Field
- Blackham Coliseum
Local Higher Education
Cultural Heritage and Events
- Festivals Acadiens - Series of festivals for recognition of Cajun culture. This is a well-constructed site that features 6 separate festivals celebrating music, crafts, food, heritage, and other aspects of Cajun and local life.
- MechaCon.com - The growing popularity of Japanese Anime comics, graphic novels, and films is celebrated in Lafayette.
- Mardi Gras - About as Big as New Orleans!
Recreational Pursuits - Engines, Tractor Pulls and More
Please visit this site operated with the help of a Lafayette native, Ralph Miller, a stationary engine enthusiast at OldEngine.Org.
Some of the information included onsite are amazing pictures of antique tractors and shop engines and:
BlitzBuild Post Katrina
Cajun Cuisine and Recipes
- Easter Traditions: Cajun Easter Foods and Recipes
Cajun is a name for a culture and a people with a rich intermixed heritage and lots of good food. Famous Cajuns have made good food and music as well.
- Fun and Easy International Salads
These recipes make a fun change of pace when you become tired of the "same old thing" when it comes to meals. The dishes are all salads that can be used as appetizers, side dishes or the main course. They come from the Cajun traditions, Asia, and...
- Good Luck Gumbo For Easter
A vegetarian based Gumbo is traditional for Good Friday among cajuns. You can add shrimps or sausage if you like. Cajun Potato Salad and Skillet Salsa round out a great meal for good times, good friends, and good fortune.
- Recipe for a Hot Cajun Thanksgiving
Try some tasty traditional Cajun recipes for a different sort of Thanksgiving feast. Put on some regional music and you'll have a great holiday!
Feufollet at the Blue Moon - Young Cajun Music
Native American Enterprises
- Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana: 343 Navarro St, Charenton LA 70523; PH 337-923-7806
- Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana: Tribal School
- Chitimacha Gaming Commission
- Chitimacha Tribe Development
- Native American Refinery Co Inc. - In nearby Evengeline
The Chitimacha Nation is more numerous in St. Mary's parish, but a few remain in the Lafayette-Acadiana statistical area as well. They settled the south of Louisiana around 500 AD.
Creoles are populous around Lafayette as well, being a mixture of African, Caucasian, Native American, Haitian, and Hispanic and other groups. This adds to the rich culture of the region.
Cajun Dance Lesson
More by this Author
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers metropolitain areas covers Northwest Arkansas Southwest Missour. This tri-cities area is the major economic engine of the region and offers high-growth jobs in interesting occupations,...
One of my favorite states to visit for historic preservation sites, unusual shops, and sporting events, Maryland is looking toward a rich future in new jobs and growing local economies.
No comments yet.