Logan, Utah - An American Best City
An American Best City
Logan, Utah was ranked by CareerBuilder.com on their Top 30 List as the Number Three City for successful job search in the US.
Factors in this rank placement included:
1) a lower unemployment rate than a number of other cities display,
2) a lower cost of living than many competitors,
3) a proportionately higher median or average wage, and
4) a better outlook for industry expansion and business start-up in the area, and several additional factors, such a lower than national crime rate.
Several cities on the CareerBuilder.com list have already appeared on similar lists compiled by Money Magazine, Forbes.com, US News and World Reports, and Kiplinger's, as well as others. These cities include the following metro areas, with their ranking on the CareerBuilder.com Top 30 List:
1. Bismarck, North Dakota.
2. Casper, Wyoming.
4. Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
7. Fargo, North Dakota
14. Midland, Texas.
15. Salt Lake City, Utah.
17. Lafayette, Louisiana.
23. Madison, Wisconsin.
27. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Located In Northern Utah
Logan is located in the east part of Cache Valley near the mouth of Logan Canyon in Cache County, Utah. It is the former home of the Shohone Native American Nation, who called it the Place of the Great Spirit. European and American trappers made a good living in the valley and surrounding lands. As a trading post center, Logan became a hub of commerce and travel early on and remains so to this day.
In the spring of 1859, a group of LDS Church members traveled to Logan to form a community with a wheat field, as well as log cabins from local timber. Very industrious, they had surveyed a fort and the land, planned streets, and contructed two neat rows of cabins. William B. Preston was chosen or appointed the first Bishop of the local LDS group in Logan in 1859.
Logan City was incorporated in 1866 and named for Ephraim Logan, who had been a successful trapper in the earlier Cache Valley area. Agriculture was the main economy in this phase of Logan, but St. John's Episcopal Church was soon founded by additional settlers, and this church began a school system to add to the community.
Today, the County Seat of Logan and the greater metro area that includes North Logan enjoys a diversified economy based on education, healthcare, agriculture, food proccessing, manufacturing, and publishing.
The central city of Logan was revitalized beginning in 1998 to produce a lively business and historic central district for increased trade and incoming travelers. The Economic Development Department created in 1998 keeps this project in an ongoing manner, redeveloping properties as required.
Largest Employers in Logan
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
- Retail and Wholesale Sales and related jobs - includes sales reps and sales supervisors.
- Office and Administrative Support
- Healthcare Practitioners & Techs
- Education, Training, and Library positions
- Food & Beverage Preparation and Service
- Production Occupations - factories and production plants.
- Transportation/Freight and Material Moving
- Retail Salespeople - counter salespeople, cashiers.
- Construction Trades Workers - Journeymen to helpers
- Construction and Extraction
HIgher Education in Logan
- Bridgerland Applied Technology Center
- Stevens - Henager College
- Utah State University: Green Industry at Utah State University (USU) - Center for Water Efficient Landscaping
Joining the Go Green initiatives of our country and Logan area colleges, the local branch of Cirrus Ecological Solutions, LC company is dedicated to the best use and stewardship of the resources of surrounding Cache County.
From wetlands, farmlands, watershed, livestock, plants, and wildlife to new innovations in energy, this company is on board with sustainability. Others are following its example in and around Logan.
Utah State University
Logan Skateboarding Park
Bear Lake - Panorama View
Sports and Recreation in the Greater Logan Area
Ample opportunities exist in the Greater Logan Area in recreation and sports, including outdoor sports. Cirrus, mentioned above, has played a role environmentally in helping to design and develop some of these venues.
- Bear Lake State Park
- Festival of the American West
- Ice Skating - Merlin Olsen Central Park. Merlin Olsen is a member of both the College and Pro Football (Los Angeles Rams) Halls of Fame. He has also been an actor in film and television.
- Hot Springs and Resorts - at least four near Logan.
- Hyrum State Park
- Local Caves and Arches
- Logan Canyon National Scenic Byway
- Logan River Golf Course
- Mountain and Rock Climbing; Naomi Peak in Cache County and King's Peak and others nearby.
- Stokes Nature Center
- Utah State University Athletics - The Aggies
- Wasatch-Cache National Forest
- Willow Park Zoo
Jobs in the Greater Logan Area
All jobs with the Department of Workforce Services at the Logan branch of the Utah workforce/jobs offices are usually advertised with Indeed.com. and SimplyHired.com, with the later search engine posting the larger number of vacancies overall.
Job Seekers can review the pages of open jobs listings with Workforce Services and apply online through a free registration process.
Workforce Services also provides jobs referrals and training connections to persons with disabilities and those who are Senior Citizens and/or displaced workers (laid off, etc.) that want to return to work.
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.