What is a HIM Professional?
What is the meaning of the acronym HIM? HIM stands for Health Information Management. At the core of the health care system HIM Professionals are in demand. Why? Changing government regulations and the growth of managed care have increased the amount of paperwork in filing insurance claims. In addition to job growth, many openings will result from the need to replace technicians who retire or leave the occupation permanently.
THE FOUR CATERGORIES OF THE HIM PROFESSIONAL:
- Medical Coders, they are the data entry experts
- Registered Health Information Technicians, (RHITs), compile, maintain, and analyze health data.
- Registered Health Information Administrators (RHIAs), manage and supervise everyday operations and make decisions based on health data.
- Health Informatics Specialists develop and enhance data collection tools
HIM professionals are responsible for the collection, storage, analysis and distribution of healthcare information. They play a key role in security and legal issues of the patient's medical records, handling and protection personal data. They communicate with physicians and other health care professionals to clarify diagnoses or to obtain additional information.
HIM CAREERS SETTINGS INCLUDE:
- Hospitals, clinics and physicians' offices
- Nursing homes, home health agencies and community health services
- State and federal departments
- Pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and IS/IT vendors.
- You need to complete an accredited undergraduate or postgraduate degree
- Coursework includes medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
- Legal aspects of health information, health data standards and coding
- Abstraction of data, database management and science.
Make sure the College you choose is accredited and one that offers you an internship after your schooling, the internship will help you get practical experience.
Most employers prefer to hire an HIM Professionals, who is certified by passing a written examination offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or The American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
Are you a detailed, organized person looking for an exciting and rewarding career, then Health Information Management is just the career for you!
References: www.Occupations.Careers.org; www.himcareers.ahima.org
More by this Author
Use less salt and still enjoy your food, less salt does not mean bland food. Try this easy chicken recipe .
There are legal decisions that uphold a patient’s right of privacy, as well as federal and state statutes and regulations that protect this right.
Patient negligence is a growing problem. What is included in patient negligence?
No comments yet.