Top 10 Hot Jobs in Michigan for College Graduates
New Fields of Work Now In Michigan
New industry sectors that have bloomed in Michigan include:
- Batteries - The Michigan Governor and State Economic Development entity intend to make Michigan the Advanced-Battery Capital of the World (powering hydrid vechles, etc.). Four large companies are investing heavily in Michigan.
- The Film Industry - A Burbank, California company will invest $146 Million to locate a new film, TV & media production studio in Allen Park.
- IT Software - ~ 150 business analyst related jobs coming to Detroit.
- Mfg & Construction - Flint, Grand Rapids, St. Joseph, Norton Shores, Livonia, oakland Country [automotive cleantech], Tecumseh.
- Agriculture - Coopersville milk production.
Jobs Exist in Michigan
- Gov. Granholm Announces Companies Investing $2 Billion+ -- 7,700 New Jobs
The projects include: four advanced-battery manufacturing projects; six company expansions in diverse industries like agriculture, automotive research and development and IT business software; a new film production studio; and three brownfield redeve
- Michigan Universities Create More Jobs after January 2009.
*Facility for Rare Isotope Beams* - $550 million project at Michigan State. awarded Dec '09. It sounds like Star Trek, offers ways toward cures for many diseases. 400 new jobs. U of M has similar projects, so do all major MI universities.
- Jobs - Michigan Jobs
Help with job training, career changes, personal finances, the latest job news, talent bank, job search, other features.
Labor Projections - Real Jobs - Mismatch and Lag-Behind
Major Internet job search engines contain thousands of job postings across the state, but they often do not yet match Employment Projections set forth by the US Federal Department of Labor and associated departments of statistics, and State of Michigan labor departments at the state, county, and local/Chamber of Commerce levels. Projections cover the decade from 2004 - 2014 on the federal and state levels and more currently, 2006 - 2016 on the metropolitan and/or county level. The related Employment, Training, Placement, and Support Services (among others) are encompassed by the Workforce Investment Board at the local level in jobs offices throughout the state.
One problem surrounding this situation is one in which job seers are not matched with jobs by jobs offices or company outsourcing after a layoff, and they are not informed of places to go for help in attaining employment.
Another problem is that many laid off workers of Michigan are often over 50 years old. Those over 55 are hard to re-place into new jobs, but at the same time are qualified for the specially- designed designated Seniors category of work training and placement related services already available. Seniors are also PAID for the national volunteer program, Seniors category,if they participate. This cold be the $7.00+ minimum wage, 410/hour, or even higher in "volunteer" jobs ranging from 20 - 40 hours per week. This is great is you are a beginning or developing freelance writer. However, many Seniors do not know about these about all or any of these options.
NEW EMPLOYMENT & TRAINING DOLLARS IN 2009
For 2009 - 2012, additional money has been sent to the states and on to the county WIA boards/jobs offices; and to cities for Employment, Training, and Placement services to be given to Michiganders.
New jobs have also been created by the Universities in all parts of Michigan, several eamples of which are discussed in the link above.
While jobs listings are catching up to Employment Projections through 2016, major search engines list the following jobs for job seekers that have earned degrees from the associate to the doctoral levels (i.e., AA - BA/BS/BSN - MA/MS/MSN, PhD,PsyD and others).
ACTUAL MICHIGAN JOBS
Keep Michigan Working - Jobs not on the major job search engines - Choose your city and distance from city-center.
Senior Community Service Employment Program - Pay for service that can lead to full-time employment or a good part-time supplement for freelancers.
Top 10 Jobs for an Associate's Degree (~2 Yrs)
These are the fastest growing occupations that require the Associate Degree, along with the current Median Wage provided by the State of Michigan.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) $28.70
- Nursing Aides, etc. - $11.69
- First-Line Supv/Mgrs, Food Prep/Service $14.39
- Hairdressers/Hairstylists/Cosmetologists $10.92 - This is the lowest wage in this group; however, it is a place to start.
- Automotive Service Technicians/Mechanics $19.63
- Computer Support Specialists $20.90
- First-Line Supv/Mgrs in Retail Sales $19.43
- First-Line Supv/Mgrs in Construction $30.97
- Dental Hygienists $27.99
- Preschool Teachers except for Special Education $15.23
Top 10 Jobs for a 4-year College Degree or Above
These are the most-available and fastest-growing jobs for college graduates of 4-year institutions, professional schools, or master's and PhD programs. The current Median Wage for each occupation is also provided by stats from the State of Michigan.
- General Operations Managers $45.33
- Accountants, Auditors $28.68
- Physicians and Surgeons $69.14 - matches job listings.
- Computer Systems Analysts $35.79
- Computer Software Applications Engineers $36.59
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers - no median wage available
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Mechanical Engineers (MEs) $35.48
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts $32.77
- Industrial Engineers $35.57
Associate Degree Offers Best Prospects
Occupations for those with an Associate's Degree is forecast to increase more than any other educational category throughout Michigan in the decade 2006 - 2016. This ia a forecast of about 315,000 jobs via a) creation of jobs and b) job turnover. In addition, this target education category received additional support through the Economic Stimulus package to create even more new jobs from 2009 - 2012.
Rather than an Associate's Degree, some of the following occupations are held by individuals with officially sanctioned Certification and sometimes licensing through a technical school and umbrella board of authority. A few require previous employment with good On the Job Training (this sometimes results in a Certificate as well).
COMPARISONS : Forecasts vs. Actual Listings
The bold print occupational titles below in the second list match the forecasts 1) shown above for 4-yr and higher degree earners and associate degree holders, but 2) NOT in the first list below among all jobs statewide through 2014.
The Top 10 Forcecast Growth Jobs Statewide through 2014
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Home Health Aides
- Computer Software Applicatons Engineers
- Medical Assistants
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Forensic Science Technicians
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Gaming Supervisors
Top 10 Jobs with the Most Actual Openings Statewide
<Data from mid-June, 2009>
- Physical Therapists
- Physicians and other Diagnosticians - matches Top 10 list for 4-year degrees and above.
- Independent Beauty Consultants
- Customer Service Representatives
- Information and Records Clerks
- Sales Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Assistant Managers
- Salespersons/Sales Associates
- Part-time Shift Leader
SUMMARY: In short, the jobs available through major job search engines (June of 2009, after ARRA began to develop actual new openings) that match the federal forecasts (none match state forecasts) are for 1) doctors. The majority of college graduates job hunting in Michigan do not meet these qualifications, however. The additional links to job listings in "Labor Projections" above include other job listings for a more diverse range of qualifications.
Job Trends (Increases) Compared to Academic Degrees.
More by this Author
Sustainability jobs are becoming more popular and greater in number around the United States. This should make for a brighter economic growth and a healthier country. Some of these jobs are fun, too!
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...