Midland, Texas - Home of George W. Bush
Oil In the Permian Basin, West Central Texas
Midland is equidistant from El Paso and Fort Worth, hence the name that indicates the mid-way point ('land in the middle'). Combined with Odessa about 19 miles away, the two cities make up the Odessa-Midland Metro Area in West Texas over the Permian Basin.
Some 600 to 700 companies in or near Midland have dealt in oil and the processing of petroleum. Positions are open in these and related industries, listed under Crude Oil & Natural Gas Extraction in want ads..
Alternative Energy Jobs in Midland have a shorter wage range of $28,000 - $96,000 per year, but a higher average is usually found at $62,000+ annually, plus benefits.
Midland - Odessa Area
The Permian Basin runs beneath Midland, Odessa, and many other cities in West Central Texas. A combination of smaller basins containing rocks from the Permian Era, Midland Basin is the largest such component and the Mid-Continent Oil Producing Area is located in much of the larger basin as a whole, led by Midland and Odessa oil and gas operations.
In 2006, CNNMoney.com compared Midland with the Top 10 Best Places to Live in the USA at that time. CNN found that Midland's Job growth between 2000 - 2005 was nearly 11% and 75% of residents had a health care coverage plan.
These results were similar to the Top 10 Cities on average. One major difference was that the Cardiac Mortality Index (a measure of death from heart related problems) in Midland was 499+ per hundred thousand people, compared to just 202 per hundred-thousand average for all of the Top 10 Best Places taken together.
Heart Health and health insurance were targeted as areas for focused improvement and have come under scrutiny by Midland County officials and planning groups.
Points of Business & Interest
- American Airpower Heritage Museum - Don't miss the "Save the Girls Gallery" of the female images painted on the WWII fighter planes.
- Commemorative Air Force Museum - Motto: "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future" - Robert Heinlein
- George W. Bush Childhood Home
- Museum of the Southwest
- Permian Basin Vietnam Veterans Museum\
- The Petroleum Museum
The Odessa - Midland Sports
- When in the Odessa-Midland area, join other fans as they eat carrots for each goal scored by the team. Jackalopes' Motto: Good, Clean Family Fun. Employment with the Jackalopes Hockey Club: Employment. Midland Office: 5514 Champions Drive; Midland, TX 79701; Phone 432-520-2255
- The Midland RockHounds are a Double A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics
- The West Texas Drillers play in the Minor Professional League Football League.
- The west Texas Wildcatters play in the Lone Star Football League for arena football.
- West Texas United Sockers
Film Portrayal by Josh Brolin
Midland, Texas is the boyhood home after his birth in Connecticut of former President George W. Bush, the first president of the 21st century. The city figures importantly in the Oliver Stone film called "W."
Josh Brolin portrays W, while Richard Dreyfess plays Dick Cheney. Oliver Cromwell is George HW Bush, Ellen Burstyn plays Barbara, and Scott Glenn plays Ronald Rumsfeld.
The film contains a lot of action and controversy that keeps people talking about Republicans and Democrats.
Promotional ads for the film's release actually ran against John McCain's presidential campaign ads.
How did Bush go from an alcoholic bum to the most powerful figure in the world?— Oliver Stone
You may enjoy these actors: Colin Powell (Jeffrey Wright), Condoleeza Rice (Thandie Newton), and Dick Cheney (Richard Dreyfuss). First Lady Laura Bush is played by Elizabeth Banks.
Jobs In Midland-Odessa
Largest Employers in Midland
- Dow Chemical
- Dow Corning
- County of Midland: County Government Jobs
- Midland City: City Government Jobs
Largest Private Employers in Odessa, Texas
- B & H Maintenance & Construction
- Holloman Construction Co.
- Family Dollar Distribution LP
- Halliburton Energy Services Inc.
- Professional and Business Services.
- National Oilwell Varco LP
- Nurses Unlimted
- Odessa Regional Hospital LP
- Rosa's Café & Tortilla Factory Ltd.
Top 10 Fast Growing Industries
Commercial & Industrial Machines/Equipment Leasing
Community Food & Housing, & Emergency Help
Facilities Support Services
Ambulatory Health Care
Amusement Parks & Arcades
Child Day Care Services
Computer Systems Design
Architectural, Engineering, & Related
Colleges, Universities, & Professional Schools
Midland Job Projections
Top 10 Jobs Expected To Grow to 2018
- Compensation, Benefits, & Job Analysis Specialists - This is itself indicates that the Odessa-Midland area requires more woerks and that the region is gearing up for even more expansion.
- Managers in Most Industry Clusters - (See actual job listings below in the UPDATE)
- Information Technology - Analysts & Engineers
- Health and Medical Professionals, including Cardiovascular Techs (county health focus), RNs, Travel Nurses, Anesthesiologists, Chiropractors, other therapists, Home Health and Personal Care Aides, and others; category tied with Funeral Directors
- Social & Community Services Managers
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Teachers, Instructors, and Professors
- Environmental Science & Protection Techs, including Health
- Engineers and Scientists - Computer, Life, Physical.
- Teachers, Instructors, and Professors - all levels of education and wide range of subjects from arts to computer science to chemistry and communications.
Other High Demand Jobs in the metro area include:
- Architects, Ex. Landscape & Naval
- Civil Engineers
- Cabinetmakers & Bench Carpenters
- Chefs & Head Cooks
Leading Job Listings to 2018
The job listings in this list are the most-frequently listed jobs in the Midland-Odessa area.
Bold print jobs match the government projections offered above. Sales and management are the two largest fields in which jobs are available during summers.
- Assistant Store Managers
- Store Managers
- Sales Associates/Consultants or Salespersons and Sales Support jobs
- Assistant Managers - retail.
- Physicians - several specialties
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executive for directories publishing
- Innovations Marketing Leaders
- Restaurant General Managers
- Assistant Restaurant General Managers
Employers Listing the Most Jobs
- Baker Hughes
- Warren Equipment
- Occidental Petroleum
- Midland Memorial Hospital
- Health South
- IASIS HealthCare
- Ector County Independent School Districts
W.I.A. In The Permian Basin
The Workforce Investment Act in the Permian Basin is the authorizing initiative for funding made available to train individuals in high paying jobs and long-term careers that include the following table of Training Requirements and Hourly Wages:
Higher Education In the Permian Basin
Some Films and Series About Texas Oil
Oil in America has created controversy in the past long before today's generations have thought it occurred. The earliest I have found was in 1900 (see below). This list in not all inclusive, but is interesting in its variety and timeline.
- Urban Cowboy (1976)
- Dallas: Ultimate Dallas - TV Drama; New Series 2012 - 2013
- Addicted to Oil: Thomas L. Friedman Reporting (2006)
- The Oil Factor: Behind the War on Terror (2005)
- Blood and Oil: The Middle East in WWI (2006)
- The Cartel: Oil and the US Government (Das Kartel) (2003)
- Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil (1968)
- Gas-Oil (1955)
- The Fighting Texans (Randy Strike Oil) (1933)
- The Age of Oil (1924)
- OIL! (1921, 1921)
- Burning of the Standard Oil Tanks (1900) - Silent film documentary filmed in New Jersey by American Mutoscope and Biograph
Interesting Link: Some Political Contributions Made by Texans
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The Top 15 Fastest-Growing Oklahoma Jobs include occupations in the Transportation Industry, Healthcare Industry and Information Technology (IT).
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.