Montana Jobs and Business Trends Favor Healthcare and Service
Montana Job Surge: Health, Insurance, and Information Technology
The most highly in-demand new workers are found in a group of 20 different job titles that are most often advertised in Montana.
These job advertised most often in 2016 - 2018 are the fastest growing in the career fields of
- Social & Human Services,
- Education, and
- Insurance and Finance (Including Blue Cross and Blue Shield, a top employer).
Statewide WildlifeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Montana - Northwest Central USA
Located in Flathead Valley, this is vital to Kootenai Nation's creation stories.
Manufacturing: Made In America
The Blackfeet Indian Nation (B on the map above) is successful in manufacturing as well as a number of other industries in Montana, adding to the number of Made In America products available in the United States.
IT database administrators, programmers, and engineers are needed in social and human service capacities, especially related to databases and data analysis that is used to justify new grants and continuing grant funding for various projects and the operation of important community based organizations (CBOs).
IT is also important to education and healthcare functions, and especially important to the insurance industry. Insurance companies need IT professionals in personnel and payroll, and several other departments, including those that deal with statistics related to life insurance, health insurance, major medical insurance, group insurance, rehabilitation programs and others.
Jobs In Highest Demand
Albertsons: groceries, home & beauty, other retail.
Town Pump, Inc.: Convenience Stores.
Fast Food & Casual Dining: Pizza Hut, McDonalds,
PetSmart: Retail pet care and supplies
Kalispell Regional Medical Center
State of Montana: Government jobs
Shopko: Retail and healthcare products
Montana State University
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
Safeway: groceries and related
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.: Gas Stations, Travel Centers
Billings, Montana Clinic
Green industries and sustainable businesses are growing. Businesses, jobs, and careers developed through recycling and renewable or sustainable energy resources offer not only the new "green collar" jobs, but positions in IT, education, and other lines of endeavor. Green industry and alternative energy offer increasing numbers of jobs every year.
Many of Montana's largest employers specialize in the fields of Healthcare or Insurance.
Another 4 of the state's largest employers are Native American companies or agencies. The remaining 4 largest employers in Montana are a US Air Force Base, a major university, a large tourist resort, and a large mining company.
All of these companies together employ thousands of people each year and are expanding to offer additional jobs and opportunities for advancement.
Top 10 Industry Growth Sectors To 2025
3) Accommodation & Food Service
4) Retail Trade
5) Professional & Technical Services
6) Environmental: Administration & Waste: Includes Recycling Operations
7) Arts, Entertainment, & Recreation
8) Finance & Insurance
9) Local Government
10) Transportation: Commercial and Passenger
Highest Demand Occupations 2016 - 2020
- Registered Nurses: Median annual pay was $60,720 in 2015
- General and Operations Managers
- Accountants and Auditors, including Forensics
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Mainstream High School Teachers
- Substitute Teachers
- Business Operations Specialists
- Physical Therapists: Median annual pay $73,080 in 2015
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
High Demand Jobs With Short Term Training
- Nursing Assistants
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Automotive Service Technicians & Mechanics
- LPNs and LVNs
- Teaching Assistants
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Computer User Support Specialists: Help Desk and Other
- Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
- Medical Assistants
Largest Health and Medical Employers
Barrett Hospital in Dillon
Benefis Healthcare in Great Falls
Blue Cross - Blue Shield of Montana
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital
Central Montana Medical Clinic in Livingston
Clark Fork Valley Hospital in Plains
Colstrip Medical Center
Community Medical Center in Missoula
Holy Rosary Healthcare in Miles City
Kalispell Regional Medical Center in Kalispell
Marcus Daly Hospital in Hamilton
Northern Montana Hospital in Havre
Energy and Green Jobs In Montana
A government-sponsored energy initiative that is opening new types of job possibilities in the state is Montana Rebuild. An inititative of the U.S. Department of Energy to examine adn develop Renewable Energy soruces Montana Rebuild is known as a State Energy Program or SEP in Montana and has been under way since 2005.
The Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) joined public buildings, schools, local government facilities, and mult-family dwellings to target energy efficiency for better living, along with renewable energy sources fo rclean, affordable energy. DEQ partners with Montana Rebuild to enhance energy efficiency in Montana schools and government buildings.
Alternative energy projects providing clean energy and increasing numbers of jobs include the following types in the state of Montana:
- Blackfeet Indian Writing Company
- Blackfeet Nation government.
- Many other businesses on and off the reservation.
- Montana jobs related to the environment and green industries, including renewable energy, can be found by using an interactive map at: www.ejobs.org/states/
- Jobs available at Montana DEQ are listed at the following link:www.deq.mt.gov/
- Montana Green Power updates: www.montanagreenpower.com
Native North American Nations
The prime source of commercial income in the Blackfeet Indian Reservation is Oil and Natural Gas in leases on the oil fields across tribal lands. Blackfeet Nation has over 17,000 members.
- The reservation is home to the Blackfeet tribe.
A manufacturing plant on the reservation produces pencils, pens and markers. Several other businesses operate under Siyeh Development, Inc.
- Blackfeet Country ~Browning Montana at Glacier National Park
Welcome to Blackfeet Country bordering Glacier Natl Park in NW Montana; attractions are Museum of the Plains Indian and the Blackfeet Heritage Center
Native American Business in Montana
- Impressive Entrepreneurs: Famous Native Americans
At least three major Native North American Nations have increased in numbers, planned economic growth for their own people as well as non-Natives in their states, and welcomed black Africans and African-Americans into homes and jobs since the 1600s o
Sports Related Job Opportunities in Montana
College and High School
- Billings Bulls (AWHL) - Billings
- Billings Mustangs (A) - Billings
- Bozeman IceDogs (AWHL) - Bozeman
- Butte Copper Kings (A) - Butte
- Great Falls Americans (AWHL) - Great Falls
- Missoula Osprey (A) - Missoula
Arenas and Stadiums
- Alumni Coliseum - Butte
Higher Education in Montana
Colleges, Universities, and Vocational/Technical Schools
- Blackfeet Community College: Browning, Montana
- Carroll College: Helena
- Chief Dull Knife College: Lame Deer
- Dawson Community College: Glendive
- Flathead Valley Community College: Kalispell
- Fort Belknap College: Harlem
- Fort Peck Community College: Poplar
- Little Big Horn College: Crow Agency, Montana
- Miles Community College: Miles City
- Rocky Mountain College: Billings
- Salish Kootenai College: Pablo
- Stone Child Community College: Box Elder
- University of Great Falls: Great Falls.
Montana State University (Bozeman, Montana)
- Montana State University: Billings
- Montana State University: Northern: Havre
- College of Technology: Great Falls
University of Montana, HQ in Missoula, Montana:
- Montana Tech: Butte
- University of Montana Western: Dillon
- College of Technology: Missoula
- College of Technology: Helena
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
If you live in a US State whose weather does not agree with you, why not make a change? Moving to Hawaii may be the best option for you.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...