More Road Warriors: The Highest Paid Light or Delivery Services Truck Drivers in the USA
© 2011 by Aurelio Locsin
Light or delivery services truck drivers are also called pick-up and delivery drivers because they deliver goods within a small region or metropolitan area. They drive trucks or vans with a capacity of 26,000 gross vehicle weight or less. They often pick up goods from a distribution center and deliver them to residences and businesses, making many stops in a day. They sometimes accept payments for deliveries and handle paperwork.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the 780,260 light and delivery services truck drivers in the country make a mean $15.45 per hour or $32,140 per year.
- The lowest-paid 10 percent get $8.54 per hour or $17,770 per year, while the highest paid 10 percent make $26.37 per hour or $54,850 per year.
- This compares to a mean $18.97 per hour or $39,450 per year earned by heavy or tractor-trailer truck drivers, and $13.02 per hour or a mean $27,070 per year for driver/sales workers.
- The average light truck driver makes about 72 percent of the average $21.35 per hour or $44,410 per year earned by all 127 million workers in the country.
The industries with the highest employment for light or delivery services truck drivers are as follows:
- Couriers and express delivery services have 17 percent of the positions averaging $23.64 per hour or $49,180 per year.
- Automotive parts, accessories and tire stores show almost 5 percent of the jobs at a mean $10.01 per hour or $20,830 per year.
- General freight trucking has 4 percent of the drivers with mean wages of $17.60 per hour or $36,600 per year.
As for the highest pay, the following industries top the list.
- The U.S. Postal Service shows mean wages of $24.75 per hour or $51,470 per year.
- Motion pictures and video average $24.13 per hour or $50,190 per year.
- Couriers and express delivery service have means at $23.64 per hour or $49,180 per year.
The states with the most jobs for light or delivery services truck drivers also have high populations.
- California, the most populous state, shows 90,750 jobs with means at $16.42 per hour or $34,150 per year.
- Texas, the second most populous state, has 56,040 jobs at a mean $14.93 per hour or $31,060 per year.
- Florida has 45,780 drivers at a mean $14.90 per hour or $30,990 per year.
The states with the best paying jobs are as follows.
- Alaska has a high cost of living that pushes mean salaries to $18.98 per hour or $39,490 per year.
- Maryland shows mean pay at $17.39 per hour or $36,170 per year.
New Jersey’s mean wages are at $17.27 per hour or $35,930 per year.
- Trucking Association, Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association
Fighting for the rights of truckers and providing truck industry related benefits, services, rebates, insurance on trucks, education and tools for the trucking industry in grain valley, missouri and beyond.
- Trucker Forum
Trucking forum with forums for all aspects of trucking and transportion.
- Road Warriors: The Highest Paid Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truckers in the USA
Heavy and tractor-trailer truckers drive vehicles with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds of gross vehicle weight and require a commercial driver’s license. Check out what they earn.
High-population urban areas boast the most jobs.
- Los Angeles, the second most populous city in the country, has 27,600 jobs paying a mean $15.87 per hour or $33,020 per year.
- New York City, the most populated urban area, shows 24,980 positions earning a mean $17.43 per hour or $36,250 per year.
- Chicago, the third most populated city has 20,370 drivers making a mean $17.74 per hour or $36,890 per year.
The following cities show the highest pay.
1. Redding, California, boasts a mean $22.38 per hour or $46,540 per year.
2. Dover, Delaware, averages a mean $19.95 per hour or $41,490 per year.
3. Anchorage, Alaska, has means at $19.67 per hour or $40,920 per year.
More by this Author
Find what the highest paid dental specialties are, and where they earn the most.
The highest paying physical scientist jobs in the USA belongs to physicists. Find out the job requirements and salaries.
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...