Adventures and Business in Oakland CA
Top 10 Green Cities in America
Oakland was rated Number Four Green City in America in 2008, among 50 top US Green Cities. It has remained in the Top 10 ever since.
The Top 50 Green list was compiled by the respected National Geographic Society Green Guide. These are cities of populations at 100,000+ that have been rated on the eco-friendly resources that they use to gain the use of electricity; their transportation options; proactive green living evident; recycling efforts; and especially, their buildings that are certified by the US Green Building Council.
Interestingly, most of these top 10 cities are on or near either the East Coast or the West Coast, with Chicago situated on a large lake and Austin Texas neart the middle of the South and Southwest.
many of thse cities are in the Top 25 Best Cities for Jobs and Business in America, according to economic and workforce analysts in the US.
Top 10 Greenest Cities in America in 2008
- Portland OR -- Half its power comes from renewable sources, 25% of workers use a bicycle, bus, or carpool. .
- San Francisco CA -- SF converts unused roofs into power.
- Boston MA - Plant Power! -- 50,000 tons of fall leaves and grass clippings make power and fertilizer.
- Oakland CA -- Recognized for Hydrogen-Powered transit.
- Eugene OR-- Hydroelectric power and wind farms. Solar panel success as well.
- Cambridge MA
- Berkeley CA
- Seattle WA
- Chicago Il -- 12,000 acres of public parks and waterfronts; numerous Green Building projects.
- Austin TX
Oakland, California On the Map
Selected Oakland Attractions
- Jack London Square - The Call of the Wild author lived in Oakland and his namesake neighborhood is a waterfront entertainment an dining district with an attached marina and water activities. You find it at the corner of Broadway and Embarcadero and the USS Potomac is anchored in this district as well. You could spend a week in this district very easily.
- Lake Merritt - This clear blue lake hosts Farmer's Markets on its shores and offers visitors a number of outdoor activities. Paddleboats and gondola rides create a picturesque way top spend an afternoon.
- Museum of California - 1000 Oak St. 94607. This museum has a Friday night party every week, with food, drink, and dancing.
- Oakland Zoo is a good sized venue that children and adults enjoy visiting. It offers a large number of species to admire at 9777 Golf Links Rd. 94605.
Lake Merritt Activities
Fastest Growing Jobs in Oakland-Fremont-Hayward Area
The health and care of animals has become a large business sector in this region. Combining several job titles together, the care of nonfarm animals that includes pets, lab animals, zoo & entertainment populations, and others ranks high on the Top 10 List of Fast Growing Jobs at #3.
Environmental Engineering is also high on the list at #4. While Home Health Aides (HHAs) command the #1 slot, they are not relatively highly paid; however supervisors and HHA agency owners are more highly paid. This leaves room for HHAs to grow and move up. In addition, HHAs often pursue postsecondary education and become LPNs and RNs, both more highly paid positions [especially RNs and travel nurses] that do not require a 4-year degree.
- Home Health Aides
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Veterinary Technologists/Technicians; Veterinarians & Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers; and Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Environmental Engineers
- Medical Scientists
- Computer Applications Software Engineers
- Personal & Home Care Aides
- Computer Software Systems Engineers
- Painters, Transportation Equipment
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
Another 10 fast-growth positions in Healthcare, IT, Skilled Trades, Mental Health and Social Services, and Higher Education:
- Physician Assistants
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Database Administrators
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors; Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
- Mainstream Preschool Teachers
- Respiratory Therapists
- Postsecondary English Language and Literature Teachers; education & Business Teachers
Largest Local Employers and High Powered Companies
- Alameda County - Sheriff's Deptartments Of Oakland and Pleasanton
- Alta Bates Medical & Alta Bates Summit Medical Centers
- Bay Area Rapid Transit - Green transortation.
- Bayer Corp - Drug Manufacturing (Bayer Aspirin, etc.)
- Brita Water Company
- California State University in Hayward
- Clorox Technical Center - Pleasanton -- Commercial Physical Research
- East Bay Water - Water & Sewage
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland
- Kaiser Permanente Hospital - Hayward
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab Physicians & Surgeons
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab -Testing
- New United Motor Manufacturing Automobile Parts & Supplies
- Novartis & Novartis Vaccines & Dgnstcs - Emeryville -- Pharmaceuticals & Biological Products
- Permanente Medical Group - Hayward -- Physicians & Surgeons
Hot Jobs in Oakland Information Technology
The average approximate yearly earnings in the following occupations in the Greater Oakland Area range from $80,000 to $160,000 or more.
These are relatively high-demand occupational titles that become available in many business sectors, not only IT, but also health and medical, education, and many others. This is especially true of the Largest Employers listed above.
- Senior Business Tech Consultant. $135,000.
- Manager of Business Systems Analysis. $119,000.
- Data Warehouse Manager. $113,000.
- Network Engineering Manager. $113,000.
- Web Systems Manager. $108,000.
- IT Security Manager. $108,000.
- Information Architect. $93,000.
- Senior Java Developer. $93,000.
- E-Commerce Project Manager. $93,000.
- Help Desk Manager. $80,000.
The Crucible - Business and The Arts In Community
The Crucible: 1260 7th Street in Oakland, CA 94607
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone 510.444.0919
Popular activities include:
- Bike Fix-A-Thon Weekends
- Educational Response Vehicle -- A full metal shop with a crane and flamethrower on an International firetruck
- Youth Arts Program
- Environmental Responsibility - transportation.
- The Crucible School and Community Field Trip Program
- Classes such as Blacksmithing, Welding, Rocketcar, Glass Scuplture, Textiles
Guide to Oakland Adventures
Oakland Area Sports Opportunities
Local Higher Education
- Academy Of Chinese Culture And Health Sciences
- Anthony Schools-redding Northern California
- Armstrong University
- California College Of The Arts
- California School Of Real Estate
- Career Resources Development Center
- Career Training Institute
- Center For Employment Training
- English Center For International Women
- Ex'pression College for Digital Arts
- Holy Names University
- Laney College
- Lincoln University
- Mckinnon Institute of Professional Massage and Bodywork
- Merritt College
- Mills College for Women - Offers coed graduate programs as well.
- Moler Barber College
- Patten University
- Peralta Community College System
- Precision Truck School Inc.
- Samuel Merritt College
- School Of Applied Theology
- School Of Communications Electronics
- Second Chance School
- Shiloh Bible College
- Sierra Academy Of Aeronautics Technical Institute
- Summit College
- University Of California System Administration
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
What are the jobs that kill the most people? Which occupations are the most dangerous and deadly? Top 1-10 and 11-20 of the most fatal jobs in the US.