October 2012: American Job Openings Increase to 5 Million For First Time Since 2008: IT, Engineering, Aerospace, Sales
Astonishing Increase In Jobs October 2-5, 2012
Numbers To Watch
When it comes to jobs and job openings in America, the media and many individuals focus on monthly national labor reports. Economic and employment analysts often concentrate on 10-year industry and job projections. Many reporters and other individuals point to biased numbers of jobs created monthly, not attending to the number of jobs lost in the same month, and visa versa. Attend we must, if we are to have the truth.
With over 15 years experience in workforce development in the private sector and under federal grants awarded during the Clinton and Bush 43 Administrations, I think it is more useful to look at federal and state projections compared to actual advertised job openings and to look at total job opening numbers themselves. I check total numbers of job openings in the USA at least every other day and analyze the mix of jobs available and the Education and Training required to fulfill their requirements.
For the first time since 2008, I find 5,000,000 job openings available in the US today on 10-5-2012 and this does not included the hidden job market or the underground economy.
Backtracking a bit, this increase from 4.2 to 4.4 million jobs available on any day from January 2009 through September 2012 is interesting, given that the first Presidential Debate for Election 2012 occurred on Wednesday October 3. Suddenly, we have 600,000 to 800,000 more job listings, and most of these additional listings occurred in the three days encompassing October 2 through October 5.
One all-sources Internet Job Search and Trending engine, SimplyHired.com states that since November 2009, job listings have increased significantly. Actually, this leap has occurred in the first week of October 2012, since job numbers were pretty flat during 2009 and rose very gradually from 2010 - September 2012. From 2007 - 2008 I regularly found listings of 5,000,000 to over 6,000,000 job openings on any given day.
Latest Job Listing Additions In 4 Days
Between October 2 and October 5, 2012 there appear 1,400,000 NEW job listings.
How is this possible? Did various town criers' announcements that Mitt Romney won the first Presidential Debate allow business people to feel "safe" and list more jobs? I know gasoline prices decreased in my city 30¢ per gallon compared to last week. I think it more than coincidence that non-seasonal job listings increased around the debate. I do not find it coincidental that many of these newest jobs are connects to the Aerospace Industry and NASA Commercial Crew, which I have point out as growing entities in related Hubs for the last year.
Summary of highest-demand newest job listings (regular, non-seasonal, full-time and part-time):
- IT Jobs - Auditors, analysts, programmers, technologists, product managers, security - 400,000+ new listings, many in Aerospace* and Healthcare. These jobs are listed by Aerotek, Cybercoders, AT&T, Genesis Healthcare, and a few smaller companies.
- Salespeople - 289,800 new jobs. Upswings in retail positions indicates both employee turnover and new growth in jobs.
- Engineers, all fields - 140,000 new jobs, some overlap with "IT" above . Major employers hiring are Cybercoders, General Dynamics IT, Aerotek, AT&T, Lockheed Martin (part of NASA Commercial Crew), Boeing (NASA Commericial Crew), US Air Force, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Army National Guard. *
- RNs - registered nurses - 157,900+ jobs
- Sales Representatives - 81,800 jobs, including Healthcare, IT products, Aerospace, and several others.
- Truck Drivers - 17,400+ jobs
- Physical Therapists - 11,800+ jobs
- Occupational Therapist - 10,100+ jobs
- Physicians, MD or DO - 6,400 jobs
- Shift Supervisors - Casual dining, coffee shops, cafes, diners - 4,370 jobs
*Aerospace jobs overall increased over 25,000 during the four days ending October 5. employers are nearly all part of the NASA Commercial Crew, who, along with Google, is increasing jobs for space exploration. Employers hiring: Lockheed Martin, Boeing, United Technologies, Northrop Grumman, Aerotek, PDS Technical Services, Goodrich, Army National Guard, Sierra Nevada, US Navy.
HubPages Forum Discussing Historic Job Numbers
- Unemployment Falls to 7.8%
September Govt Jobs Report: Unemployment Falls to 7.8% in the HubPages Politics and Social Issues Forum.
- What the Jobs Report Really Says About the Economy - US Business News - CNBC
"The employment picture didn’t really change all that much with the September report, but there were enough shifts in enough pieces to suggest the glass can be viewed as half full rather than half empty," says one economist.
Related HubPages Q and A
- Immediately after the 1st Presidential Debate 2012, US job listings increased by 1,400,000 new jobs.
Current answers to: 'Immediately after the 1st Presidential Debate 2012, US job listings increased 1,400,000 jobs across Internet sources (early October). Most of the newly-listed jobs are IT, Engineering, non-seasonal Sales. What stimulated this?
Federal Job Projections 2010 - 2020
It is easy to notice that the federal projections for the Top 15 Growing Jobs in the USA do not match advertized jobs overall. Actual high demand job listings include job titles that require more education and experience than most oft he job listed below. The pay is lower in many of the projected job titles as well.
Projected Largest Numbers of Openings:
- Home health aides
- Personal care aides
- Combination food prep/service workers,
- Customer service representatives
- Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers
- Postsecondary teachers (college level)
- Nursing aides, orderlies, and attendants
- Childcare workers
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks
- Elementary school teachers, mainstram
- Receptionists and information clerks
- Janitors and cleaners, except maids and housekeeping
- Landscaping and groundskeeping workers
- Sales representatives
Projected Fastest Growth Jobs:
- Personal care aides
- Home health aides
- Biomedical engineers
- Helpers--brickmasons, blockmasons, stonemasons, and tile and marble setters
- Veterinary technologists and technicians
- Reinforcing iron and rebar workers
- Physical therapist assistants
- Helpers--pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters
- Meeting, convention, and event planners
- Diagnostic medical sonographers
- Occupational therapy assistants
- Physical therapist aides
- Interpreters and translators
States In Which Aerospace Jobs Are Increasing Quickly
- The Increase In Aerospace Technology and Jobs in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio
The NASA Commercial Crew of private aerospace corporation was under collection well before July 2011 and the last flight of the final US Space Shuttle.
- Google and James Cameron Entered the Space Mining Business
We have lift off of privatized space flight.
- US Space Program 2012 - 2022: First Commercial Contracts
The US Space Program is not only alive, it is so far ahead of schedule that NASA issued an edict in May 2012 for other explorers in America as well as international space agencies to leave their offloaded materials and equipment alone when they reach
- NASA's Commercial Crew Private Sector...
NASA took a proactive stance toward partnerships with the private sector for future space exploration.
- A Review of Aerospace Careers, 2010 - 2030
Space Tourism has the potential to become of the largest Aerospace Industries of the 21st century. Spurred by science fiction as early as the 1800s, sci-fi fan clubs of the 1930s, the Space Race, and Homer Hickam, jobs in Aerospace are blossoming.
- Privatized Space Flight - Spaceship Designs That Work In the 2010s
In August 2011, NASA chose 7 top companies for commerical aerospace transport manufacture. They were chosen to design and build a commercial spaceship.
More by this Author
You may be considering a job transfer and be able to benefit from the enclosed Transfer Request Letter. However, you may want to master current job tasks before moving to another job site.
Preparing well for job interviews can help you feel much less like you were stepping off a cliff into the unknown! The following interview questions are 100 of the most-asked and most important.
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...