Best Cities for Work - Ogden, Utah
The Great Salt Lake
High Standard of Living
Ogden, Utah is part of the Ogden-Clearfield metropolitan area and has been awarded a spot of the Top 30 Cities for Jobs in the US at Number 26. Population of this metro area is roughly 500,000 people.
Built against the Wasatch Fronton the west side of Rockies, Ogden-Clearfield as a metro area offers year-around sports and recreational activities as well as actual nightlife and a higher standard of living in some other parts of the US. The median income of Weber County is nearly $9,000 higher than that of the nation as a whole. Incomes tend to be higher in the north and west sectors of the City of Ogden.
Even though Utah is a dry state (no alcohol), such beverages can be purchased in Ogden (see below).
The metro area, as well as the state of Utah is largely a 1) Mormon (LDS) and 2) Evangelical Christian community that is home to houses of worship of many other faiths as well. However, the LDS, a homeschooling, and Evangelical school systems are quite noticeable. The diversity of the city also includes a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
For those considering a move to Utah and interested in the political aspect, 75% of registered voters are Republican, 23% Democrat, and 2% Independent. In 2009, a legislative vote was awarded to Washington DC for the first time, and considering that it would likely be Democrats, an additional vote was given to the State of Utah, likely to be a Republican vote.
Ogden, Weber County, Utah
Ogden is along the eastern coast of the Great Salt Lake.
Diversity and the Earth in Ogden
- Japanese American National Museum
Studies on file about Japanese communities in the American Southwest, including Utah. Highlights of Japanese Internment Camps.
- The Nature Conservancy in Utah - The Nature Conservancy in Utah
The Nature Conservancy in Utah. Green projects and Sustainability.
- The Sustainable Utah Four Day Work Week
Sustainability plans backed by government.
Remembrance Day Celebration of Ogden's Japantown
Top 10 High Demand Jobs in Ogden-Clearfield to 2016
- Sales - Retail and Wholesale & related
- Administrative and Support Staff
- Registered Nurses (RNs) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Professional Services
- Management Occupations - all levels, across industries.
- Business Operations Specialists
- Financial Services Specialists
- Production and Manaufacturing - particularly govt contracts.
- Transportation and Freight
- Contruction and Extraction jobs
Great Salt Lake Salt MiningClick thumbnail to view full-size
Largest Ogden Metro Area Employers
- The largest provider of multi-unit healthcare in the State of Utah operates a site in Ogden: McKay Dee Hospital, under the parent company of Intermountain Health Care. Over 2,000 workers are employed at this facility, with additional job openings needing skilled people. The hospital is known coast to coast for a high quality neo-natal unit and outstand heart surgery program.
- Ogden Regional Medical Center is governed by another large healthcare concern: the Hospital Corporation of America(HCA). This local provider is most well known for its effective cancer treatment. The medical center employs at least 1,000 individuals and needs others to fill open positions, listed at their website employment page.
- Ogden Utah is the site of a large US military complex that is home to Hill Air Force Base. The USAF Base hosts the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing that uses the Utah Test and Training Range just west of the Great Salt Lake. The base aircraft maintenance unit is huge and employees thousands of civilian personnel as well as its military staff. Check the website for employment related links.
- A Regional IRS Office also operates in Ogden, its major function being to process business related tax forms.Thousands of workers for the IRS operate out of Ogden and jobs are available in an onsite listing at US Federal Job Website.
- The US Federal Forest Service maintains a large Regional Office in Ogden as well. Its responsibilities include forestry in the Southwest states of Utah as well as Nevada, Southern Idaho, and Western Wyoming. Dry weather and hot climate lend urgency to the trend toward drought and forest fires in this area, keeping the staff of 500 very busy. Check the jobs site above for openings.
- Weber State University is well known for its Education and Training curricula in the Industry Sectors of Business and Sciences. In addition, the school offers federally recognized courses and degrees in Manufacturing and Automotive Engineering. Job listings are available at the website.
- Weber County government serves 200,000+ citizens and residents across nearly 600 square miles that include the Ogden-Clearfield Metro Area. Its 600 – 700 full-time staff works within a budget of around $50 million. Review job listings at http://www1.co.weber.ut.us/ . Meanwhile the City of Ogden employees about the same number of workers under a budget of nearly 30 million dollars.
- Autoliv - Automotive safety experts to the major auto manufacturers worldwide. Over 60 subsidiaries and joint ventures in 29 different global nations. They have 19 crash test and have employed over 23,000 globally.
- ATK- Weapon systems providers for the US Military complex. Took over Thiokol and its space shuttle booster program 2001, the first year of the President George W. Bush Administration. Ogden employees commute about 30 miles to work.
- Fresenius Medical Care – Makers of kidney dialysis and other medical equipment. The site in Ogden has experienced considerable significant growth in the 2000s, with increasing opportunities for engineers and related professionals, such as technicians.
- Great Salt Lake Minerals – Mining through evaporation. Provides salts and fertilizers out of the Great Salt Lake, along with jobs for 300 – 400 workers.
- Parker Hannifin - Aircraft hydraulic and control systems with at least 500 employees.
- Western Zirconium – Part of Westinghouse. Staff of 400+ produce zirconium for application in the nuclear power industry.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation - Huggies Diapers (disposable).
- Ogden-Weber Applied Technology Center - Very active College Level vocational school. Employers in Ogden-Clearfield most often hire these new workers faster than they can be trained in school. Industry sectors include IT, automated manufacturing, technologies, electronics, quality assurance (QA), drafting, bricklaying, carpentry, cosmetology, machinists' trades, and several others.
- Weber State University - 70+ fields of study that include science, fine arts, criminal justice, and automotive programs. The student population is older than that at most of the rest of America's institutions.
- University of Utah in Salt Lake City, 36 miles south
- Utah State University in Logan, 45 miles north
- Utah State University Extension Center - graduate programs.
- Weber State Men's & Women’s Basketball; Utah Jazz
- Ogden Raptors, Salt Lake Bees
- Ogden Rhino Raiders, Utah Blaze Arena Football, Weber State Football
- Ogden Outlaws, Weber State Women's Soccer
To Drink or Not to Drink...
Ogden has not outlawed alcoholic beverages. Reportedly, the city hosts three liquor stores and a number of private clubs that serve alcohol (and to which one must purchase a membership).
Humorously, Rooster's brews all of their own beers and serves them openly in their restaurant and bar. The humor comes in the names of some of the beers. House beers range from light honey wheat to dark chocolate stout; but, . a favorite of many is Polygamy Pale Ale. I suppose one watches Tom Hanks's Big Love on big screen TV while drinking it.
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.