Attractions and Business In Pee Dee and Florence SC
Something Good in South Carolina!
Pee Dee is a Native American term that means Something Good!
I believe that, because the Pee Dee Region was one of favorites during family vacations.
The Pee Dee Region is in Northeastern SC, right next to the Myrtle Beach area to the east. Pee Dee is the name of an Indigenous People that also sees their name spelled as Pedee, Peedee, Peadea, Pidees and some other variations.
These groups lived long ago in the Pee Dee section of the state and some of their descendants remain. In fact, some of them live with the official Pee Dee Indian Tribe of South Carolina, which became a Certified State Tribe or Nation of people on 01/27/2006. See www.facebook.com/PeeDeeIndianNation
Another branch, the Pee Dee Indian Nation of Upper South Carolina was state-recognized in February of 2005. A third group is named the Marlboro, Chesterfield, and Darlington County Pee Dee Indian Tribe.
Lost Settlers Found Among Lost Natives in the Carolinas
Pee Dee Nation fought with Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox, on the side of the American Colonists against the British in the American Revolution, while some of the the Mohawk and the Seneca to the north fought with the British.
Later, after the Cherokee Nation was driven westward out of South Carolina on the Trail of Tears, which has been commemorated as a US National Park and Historic Trail, the State Government did not recognize Native Americans as such. The folks were counted as any of Black, mixed, or Croatan - itself an extinct or mixed blood "tribe" considered Black or mixed. Pee Dee Nation was not recognized until the 21st Century, over 200 years later.
Rumors persisted about the Croatan People, until archaeological evidence, DNA, and maps proved that they took in the settlers of the Lost Colony of Roanoke, Virginia (which has been found) adopting them as friends and kin of the Croatan.
Today, DNA testing is conducted in an ongoing program to look for additional European bloodlines within the descendants of the Croatan Nation. We think that some settlers likely married into the Croatan Nation and lived with them.
Arundel Plantation on the Pee Dee River
Ronald E. McNair, PhD
The Pee Dee Astronaut
Astronaut Ronald E. McNair died in the US Space Shuttle Challenger as it exploded somewhat more than a minute after takeoff in 1986. He was born in Lake City, Florence County, South Carolina.
Mr. McNair represented many things to the Pee Dee Region, his state and his country. He was an African American that earned a PhD in Physics, gained several honorary degrees, and became a top astronaut.
He advanced the field of Laser Technology, adding to the tradition of great schools helping to develop new technologies for new jobs in their states. Mr. McNair was a karate master. He was a husband and father. He won so many awards and fellowships and positions of vital corporate boards that one can hardly list them all.
Ronald E. McNair was an astronaut for 10 years, almost to the day, and then we lost him. However, his accomplishments through his ongoing determination can motivate us to come through the crises of our own lives, including looking for a new job in the face of mass layoffs and national turmoil.
WHETHER OR NOT YOU REACH YOUR GOALS IN LIFE DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON HOW WELL YOU PREPARE FOR THEM AND HOW BADLY YOU WANT THEM.— Ronald E. McNair, Astronaut on Challenger
Ronald E. McNair Links
- Ronald McNair Park - NYC
This monument, which combines a traditional bust with a uniquely shaped pedestal, commemorates Dr. Ronald Erwin McNair (1950–1986). He was the African-American astronaut, physicist, teacher, and musician who died aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger.
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program - US DOE
This program prepares participants for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. Participants are from disadvantaged backgrounds and have demonstrated strong academic potential.
A new upsurge in advertised job openings began during January 2015. Jobs cluster around Florence SC, just 13 miles from Pee Dee.
Increasing Job Listings Around Florence: January 2013, January 2015
Best High Demand Jobs
- Occupational Therapists
- Materials Handlers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Physical Therapists
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Retail Salespersons
- Sales Managers
- Family Practice Physicians
Listings in bold match the forecast to the left.
Top 10 Jobs Forecast to 2016
- Retail Salespersons
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Team Assemblers
- Personal & Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Manual Laborers/Stock Handlers
- Truck Drivers: Semis, Tractor-Trailers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Maintenance and Repair
- General/Operations Managers
- All Food Prep/Service jobs
Pee Dee Region
Largest Employers In the Region
- Sonoco Products Company - Darlington County
- Honda of South Carolina Mfg - Florence County
- Perdue Farms - Dillon County
- Schaeffler Group USA - Chesterfield County
- AVX Corporation - Horry County
- Mohawk Industries - Marlboro County
- ESAB Welding and Cutting Products - Florence County
- Wal-Mart Grocery Distribution Center - Chesterfield County
- Nan Ya Plastics Corporation - Florence County
- International Paper Company - Georgetown County
Hot Jobs In Engineering
- Electrical Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Industrial Engineers
- Water/waste-water Engineers
- Quality Engineers
- Engineering Project Managers
- Process Engineers
- Design Engineers
- Test Engineers
- Engineer Interns
Top 10 Pee Dee Employers
- Community Health
- MetroSouth Medical Center
- Carolinas Hospitals System
- Waste Management - waste and recycling.
- Mcleod Health
- Pharmacy Reserves
- Enterprise Medical Services
- US Military.Com
- Sears Holdings, KMart
- Jackson Therapy
- Others: Assurant and Ameriplan insurance companies
- Clemson University Pee Dee Research and Education Center
- Coker College
- Coastal Carolina University - Conway SC, closer to Myrtle Beach.
- Fine Arts Academy of Florence
- Francis Marion University - Florence SC
- Northeastern Tech - Dillon
- Limestone College - Kingtree
- Logos Bible College
- Outdoor Education Trail - Clemson University - Located off I-95.
- School of Dance Arts
- Southeastern Institute of Manufacturing and Technology - Florence SC
- Williamsburg Tech - Kingtree
Sports in the Pee Dee Region
- Florence Red Wolves - Baseball
- Florence Post 1 - Baseball
- Pee Dee Hockey League-Adult Hockey League
- Florence Phantoms – Professional Indoor Football
- College Level Sports, several types - Francis Marion Patriots, etc.
Pee Dee Outdoors
Pee Dee Region Sights and Services
- Pee Dee Area Health Education Programs
- Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge
Web site of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Pee Dee Research and Education Center | Clemson University
Clemson University's Pee Dee Research and Education Center: providing information on its history, mission, facilities, contact information, faculty and staff, calendar of events and links to research and educational programs coordinated by faculty an
- Pee Dee Workforce Investment Board
- Welcome to Camp Pee Dee
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The number of jobs in this state increases ever year, even beyond seasonal employment in December.
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...