Personal Brand Is Important In a Resume
Your Personal Brand
You can make your resume information and formatting stand out from all the rest submitted for a job by exerting a solid, superior, recognizable Personal Brand.
Donald Trump is a master of branding, from real estate to beauty pageants to bottled water (Trump Ice). Follow his example in a way that is appropriate to your career in your own life. [Trump 101- The Way to Success]
Your Personal Brand should shine through strongly in your resume, which is actually a commercial for your talents and benefits to new employers.
People that watch your Personal Brand Commercial include HR representative, screeners on the higher levels of clerical staff, hiring officers, supervisors, department managers, company owners, and personnel recruiters that sift through and scan thousands of resumes each day. Many of these resumes are loosely written, even by some professional resume writers, lack any kind of pattern that would show a clear Personal Brand.
The Brand That Stands Apart.
Unfortunately, some professional writers are charging $100 per page and crowding everything onto a single page so closely as to be unreadable at 8-9 pt. font size and no figure-ground contrast (print vs. white space). I recently read one such resume in which the worker's education was crowded into the end of the contact information as an afterthought. The margins were only 0.3 inches wide and an electronic resume scanner, with the unfortunate result of a definite discard, would have missed vital information.
The employer is purchasing your time when he or she hires you for a job and you begin working for a company. These hiring authorities want the most for their dollar paid and your Personal Brand, clearly shown in your resume, will help to ensure them that they will receive the top value from your potential contribution to their companies.
What is a Personal Brand?
It is a presentation that reaches out and grabs the reader by the shoulders in a captivating engagement.
It tells the reader how much more you can do for his or her company than the other they are considering for a job.
What makes up a Personal Brand?
- Good manners under-girded by self-confidence, self-respect, and a high quality product to offer employers (see number 4 below).
- Forthrightness and discretion. This includes the ability to refrain from engaging with detractors that have secondary motivations in mind and those that may wish to ingratiate themselves to you for secondary gain.
- Overall proactive personal behaviors and character: Consistency in all settings. You are the same high-quality person no matter where you go or who you are among (unless you are undercover in law enforcement), that being a clearly defined set of values and attitudes, with allowance for areas to be adjusted and improved with experience.
- A good product to offer employers: Skill sets that are clear and improving with time: e.g., logic, thinking, problem solving, pattern discernment, concentration, memory, ability to see details and the bigger picture; clear communications; ability to use technology and to adapt to new ideas and tech advances; friendliness without gullibility, malleability, or inclinations to gossip. Also included are practical work experience and transferable skills, adequate education either through formal programs or through daily learning, the ability to do a job well, the willingness and desire to advance in position, and others you may be able to identify. You must be productive and help change an employing company by increasing their business income or number of clients served in a positive manner in the non-profit world, etc.
How long does it take to create a Personal Brand?
Learning and creating your Personal Brand are life long activities that do not stop. You may have several levels of branding throughout your career.
That could be over 100 years for some individuals (I know of a 100-year-old waitress that called in a short local radio broadcast from the diner for years - I already understand that this is not the norm.). Continuous improvement is a vital goal in the world of work in the 21st century.
Your Personal Brand will become better established, of a higher quality, and more recognizable over time as you learn, incorporate new information and experience, and mature. This does not mean simply aging, however, or simply putting in time on a job. You must increase your value to employers by helping them attain goals and, yes, to make more money in the for-profit world of work and business. These attributes must be clear in your resume. This requirement is the reason that resumes must focus on achievements and targeted required skills, rather than on job descriptions and on listing the duties of a job.
Additional Information About Resumes and Cover Letters
- Securing Interviews and Work - Words To Avoid In a Resume
A resume can be the key of entrance to a job interview that may lead to a satisfying and lucrative career -- But, perhaps not if these words appear on it. Each few years, words and phrases become dated and go out of vogue, so we must be up to date.
- Resume Mistakes - Elements and Corrections
Here is a mock resume and cover letter I use in my Resume Writing Class and all infomation is fictitious. Accompanying these documents is a critique and suggestions for changes. You may see additional good suggestions - please add your comments freel
- Effective Real Life Resume for College Graduates
The following examples are those of a combination of two resumes that were successful in garnering many interviews and a lucrative career for a new...
- How to Format A Resume for the Financial Industry
The information contained in the following resume centers on three core talents and career foci: Executive Administrative Assistant,Business Systems Analyst, and Sales and Service Representative/Teller...
- Sample Resume For Freelance Writing
A resume can come in useful when applying for freelance writing gigs or long-term projects. Here are ways to highlight your writing successes and unique talents in resumes that will gain notice from employers.
More by this Author
It is often advisable to include your electronic contact information at the head of your resume: YourLinkedIn address and email help employers contact you. Here are some more tips to attract a job.
Writing a meaningful Objective for a resume can delay the completion of the document. To ease this process, the inside information on effective Objective Statements that will gain you larger numbers of interviews is...
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...