Personal Life Coaching – Success for your Life or a Career Choice
This article is about either using a Personal Life Coach to improve your life or choosing it as a career – you could even have it both ways. A Personal Life coach helps a person to get from where they are now, to where they want to be – quickly and effectively. It’s all about changing the mindset.
What can you read below?
O P P O R T U N I T Y I S N O W H E R E
Opportunity is now here or Opportunity is no where?
Whatever we see or believe makes the difference in accomplishing our goals in life.
On the 7th and 8th November 2009, I was privileged to attend a free weekend Training course on Introduction to Personal Coaching. This was held at The coaching Academy, London. I saw the advert on the internet and thought it would be nice to attend. By the time we finished, my mindset had changed and I found answers and ideas to long standing issues. So, all along the answers I needed were within me, I just needed someone to help me draw them out. On the 2 day course, We worked in groups, we listened to seminars and did lots of practical exercises in which we received personal feedback. I learnt a lot and will share a bit with you. I hope you find it beneficial:
Remember: You can look at it from 2 points of view.
a) You personally training to be a Life Coach
b) You hiring a Life coach to help you. (they should have the qualities below)
Qualities of a Good Personal Life coach
1) Be Approachable
2) As a personal Life coach always point out the good a person can do. State or find their positives.
3) Never interrupt when someone is talking to you as it breaks the flow and they could feel they did not have all your attention. E.g If a person has a dream to buy a property in Dubai. Don’t interrupt, getting excited to tell them of a holiday you might have had Dubai. So, simply Nod or say yes….”um, ah” All those signs that indicate you are listening.
4) You would need excellent questioning skills that would help unravel a person’s mind and help them get to the answers. E.g Ask what steps they can start to take, if they want to buy a property in Dubai.
5) Listen without judging. Example, if a person says they dance in a strip club, don’t frown or raise eyebrows. (body language) If you do, they’ll sense it and stop talking. However, if you listen carefully they will go on and you will find that they start to talk with so much excitement.
For 3 decades, Tony Robbins has coached leaders of the world. “one of the Top 50 Business Intellectuals in the World” - Accenture and “one of the Top 200 Business Gurus” - by Harvard Business Press.
“Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy. Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives and create a meaning that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives.”
"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."
"Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible."
6) Quietness is okay. Don’t feel uncomfortable with silence. It helps people talk.
7) Put people in stretch zones. Make them do things they have never done before. Things that take them out of their comfort zone and make them learn, but ensure it relates to their goal. I was asked what zone I’d feel in if a friend just dropped by and asked if they could stay a few days. I said that’s a comfort Zone. Then I was asked how I would feel about jumping out from a plane with a Parachute – to me that wasn’t just a stretch zone, it was a “Holy Smoke!!” Zone.
8) Be honest with feedback.
9) Find out your Niche. Would you like to coach in Sports, Education, health, relationships, sex, famous people, Spiritual, Business, Executives, Financial, Writing etc. Find a comfortable area.
* * * * *
My Favourite Life Coaches
If you don’t want to hire a Personal coach, check out Anthony Robbins and Stephen Pierce and other coaches. You can get a lot of free material from them on the internet.
There are quite a lot of Life Coaches on Twitter too. I found some on Social Business Websites and just Follow. They tweet interesting, motivational links.
To be a Life Coach, you have to attend a Diploma course, 6 months to 1 year. The one I attended was just Introductory. Coaching as a career is very rewarding financially and it’s also a Job that you will enjoy as you start to see the transformation people are making - worth considering, even part time.
Share with me, any Personal Life Coaches who influence you. It would be nice to know.
* * *
Stephen Pierce Resources
More by this Author
How to improve your typing skills for Jobs.
Procrastinating Excuses and how to overcome.
Things I have personally noticed about people who laugh a lot. Thought provoking. Laughter is Good.