The Top 10 Hot Jobs In Portland, Maine
Workers In High Demand In Portland
With over 230,000 people living in the Greater Portland Area and over 64,000 in the City of Portland, the area experiences low unemployment and an abundance of jobs that need to be filled.
The city is ranked as one of the 10 Safest American Cities and among the Top 25 Mid-Sized Cities in the US for Jobs and Business success. It is an increasingly sustainable are, promoting and enhancing its green and sustainable industries, particularly in water use and in alternative transportation - notably, bicycles.
Portland and South Portland, Maine
Unemployment Rates Indicate New Workers Needed
Unemployment rates have been low in the Greater Portland Area statistical unit, with the figure stable at 4.0% in June 2008 and rose a bit to 4.7% by June 2015, still a low unemployment rate overall. This means that there are jobs available with not enough workers to fill them. In the Portland area, over 10,000 job openings were listed in July 2015.
The Founder of Dell Computers has made heavy investments in the Portland Area, which is expanding businesses and creating jobs in an upward trend through 2020. IN addition, Nova Scotia has invested heavily in Portland Area ferry operations, taking the bite out of fuel costs and enabling shipping and receiving transport through the port to expand in volume.
The US Navy has contracted with General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products, Saco Defense to the tune of about $8 million for aircraft gunnery equipment production. In addition, the US Army has been awarded a similar $9 million contract which will require additional military and civilian staff.
Cabelas, the store that sponsors the Iditarod commemorative sled dog race, The Last Great Race in Alaska, opened a store near Portland that is doing large amounts of business and creating more job openings.
Answering Financial Services needs in Portland, Prudential Financial has opened a second office in Portland. Hydro International has purchased a competitor and expanded business operations in the city to target green technologies and sustainability through processing rainwater, storm water, runoff and other water sources.
Portland, Maine needs more workers at all levels of expertise.
Numbers of advertised jobs decreased during the Obama Presidential Administration from mid-2011 to mid-2014, and began increasing again in 2015.
Largest Employers in Portland
- Maine Medical Center - www.mmc.org
- Unum Provident - Supplemental insurance, online at www.unum.com
- Attendant Services Incorporated - Services to the elderly and disabled.
- Children's Miracle Network - Barbara Bush Children's Hospital at Maine Medical Center online at http://bbch.org
- Mercy Hospital
- US Post Office
- Mariner Beverages
- Mercy Health System of Maine
- TD Banknorth Inc.
- Spurwink School
- Barber Foods
These companies are also among the largest employers in the State of Maine, especially Numbers 1 through 3, which appear in the list of the Top 50.
Resources for Job Seekers in Portland/South, Portland Maine offer a comprehensive list of online resources compiled and checked by staff of the State of Maine.
Top 10 Fast Growing Jobs
- CDL Trucker Driving and Owner Operators at several companies.
- Management Positions in All Industries
- Health & Social and Human Service Professionals, including RNs, Physical Therapy & Medical & Physician's Assistants, and Personal Care & Home Health Aides. Services for Senior Citizens is increasing and becoming very high demand.
- Information Technology - Analysts & Software Engineers and Others. The link provides Career and Internship information across Maine.
- Finance and Insurance
- Veterinary Techs
- Property, real estate, and community association managers
- Recreational Vehicle & Motor Cycle Service techs and mechanics
- Retail Salespersons
- Professional, Scientific, and Tech Services
- Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation - especially sound studio and filming.
In addition, nearly 4,000,000 tourists visit Portland every year, creating a need for additional workers in Tourism and Hospitality.
The Portland 3-Dollar Bill
Arts and Culture in Greater Portland
This is a thriving Arts District in Portland.
Located In the Portland Arts District:
- Art Galleries, large and small
- Children's Museum of Maine
- Historic Kotzschmar Memorial Organ
- Maine College of Art
- Maine Historical Society & Museum
- Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Merrill Auditorium - Events venue
- Monument Square and historic hotels
- Portland Library
- Portland Museum of Art
- Portland Stage Company
- Portland Symphony Orchestra
- SPACE Gallery
Nearby is a system of trails to use for jogging and walking, online at http://www.trails.org/
- Andover College
- Maine College of Art
- Maine Medical Center-Residency
- Maine Medical Center-Surgical Technology
- Mercy Hospital-School of Radiologic Technology
- New England Baptist Bible College
- Portland Adult Education
- University of Maine - School of Law
- University of New England
- University of Southern Maine
Sports in Portland
- Maine Red Claws Basketball
- Maine Roller Derby - Exposition Hall
- Portland Sea Dogs - affiliated with the Boston Red Sox; Hancock Field
- Portland Pirates - AHL Hockey; Cross Insurance Arena
- Portland Phoenix Soccer - Memorial Stadium
- Portland D-League Basketball - developing in future.
- Portland Sports Complex - just off I-295
- Golf Courses
Portland Maine Matters of Interest
National Register of Historic Places
The Eastern Seaboard of the United States and New England were some of the first locations to be settled as Europeans came to the New World and later formed the Original 13 Colonies of America [ See the Hub series called What is the History of the USA?]
Prior to the settlement of the whites, the Native Americans of the area called what is now Portland "Great Neck" in their own language. The English called it Casco and then Falmouth, but about 1800 a splinter group broke away and formed Portland, named for the water port nearby. Although all of these cities were apparently destroyed at least once by fire or Native American attack, Portland was rebuilt and still stands.
The National Register of Historic Places includes at least 84 different sites in Portland ME alone, and hundreds in Cumberland County total, listed at: National Register of Historical Places In Cumberland County.
Additional information is available at Maine Visible Black History and Maine Native American Links as well as Maine Irish Heritage Center, Portland and Scot's History - Nathaniel Hawthorne in Portland and Maine.
More by this Author
Job listings in New Jersey doubled in the four years between January 2010 to January 2014.
New York City is committed to maintaining and expanding parks, waterways, greenways, and energy-efficient commercial building & urban renewal. The city is known as the Greenest Big City in America.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...