Practicing Career Professionalism, Part 1
ACHIEVING COMPETENCE IN PRACTICE CAREER PROFESSIONALISM AND INTEGRATE PERSONAL OBJECTIVES WITH ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS
WHAT IS PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT?
Many factors make a person unique in his or her own way. One of this is personality. We can define personality as the distinctive and characteristic pattern of thought, emotion, and behavior that define an individual’s personal style of interacting with the physical and social environment.
Personality plays an important part in the identification and choice of specific career. The first step to career choice and planning understands oneself. According to Holland (1985), a person may possess the following personality types:
Realistic – technician/engineer
Investigate – scientist/chemist
Artistic – musician/sculptor
Social – teacher/social worker
Enterprising – salesperson/lawyer
Conventional – accountant/banker
Realistic and Investigative types lack interpersonal skills and have difficulty with emotional expression of feelings. The artistic and social types are emotional in the expression of feelings and may dislike highly ordered and repetitive activities.
The personality type one has is linked to specific work environments.
ASPECTS OF AN INDIVIDUAL’S PERSONALITY
- MENTAL ASPECT – refers to his intellectual capacity.
- EMOTIONAL ASPECT – a person’ emotional make up is shown in his likes and dislikes.
- SOCIAL ASPECT – how well a person conducts himself with other people and how well he observes the rules of etiquette that govern society.
- PHYSICAL ASPECT – heredity and environment determine the entire physiological system of an individual. Posture, body build and size, compression and facial expressions, as well as the appropriateness and condition of clothes, comprise the physical appearance of a person. It has a lot to do with personality.
- MORAL ASPECT – this aspect personality has to do with a person’s awareness of the differences between what is wrong or right.
- SPIRITUAL ASPECT – is the consciousness of the higher values in life.
DEVELOPMENT – a continuous change for improvement in all aspects of the person: motor, social, emotional, intellectual, and moral.
INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIP – (outer self) Personal and social relationship of a person with others which develops systems of shared expectations.
INTRAPERSONAL DYNAMICS – (inner self) dealing with one’s inner self, like emotions
VISION – Philosophy of life.
PLANNING ONE’S CAREER
The exploration of one’s interest and aptitudes lead one to formulate career and educational decisions. It is important for one to focus on personal and social development.
“Know Thyself” – it means giving more than what is observed or what is public knowledge as one’s name. It means really knowing oneself in terms of one’s strengths and limitations. One’s sense of identity is usually defined by individual traits and goals, by personal; achievement and fulfillment, by social responsibilities and relationships.
These are qualities, which we consider valuable or helpful in the things that we do. These are usually seen as positive and traits that enable us to achieve what we set out to do.
B. My Interests
One’s interests are usually manifested in what one chooses or prefers to do. A person may be interested in a basketball game, in reading a book, or in gardening. Any of these activities may give a person a sense of satisfaction or enjoyment.
C. Parents’ Interests and Expectations
The career development of an individual and one’s career decision- making skills will be enhanced if the family becomes involved in the process. The family has expectations, dreams, aspirations, and hopes for each member, which ultimately influences the person’s goals and choices.
D. My Values
A person’s values are his/her personal convictions about what is desirable. Values influences how a person acts and what we expect of others. These also influence our choices and our goals.
ACTIVITY SHEET NO. 1
OBJECTIVES: After completing this activity you should be able to:
- Prepare one’s career which includes on personal competencies
- Design and build an actual career stating strengths, interests and goals.
Materials needed: Activity Sheet and pen
- Read Information Sheet No. 1
- Answer the activity no. 1 One’s Career.
- Let the trainee give honest and freedom of choice to organize a personal career planning.
Your own career
Come up with five traits, which you consider as your strengths. In what instances have these become helpful?
B. My Interests
1. What are some of your interests? List some of them and identify why these or things are interesting to you.
2. What are some activities you are not interested in or prefer not to indulge.
3. What do your interests reveal about you?
C. Parents’ Interests and Expectations
1. What does your father expect of you? How does your mother want you to act?
2. Discuss with your parents or guardians your goals. Find out what their views are.
1. What is important for you?
2. Choose among the list, and rank according to importance to you.
_____ making use of my abilities
_____ receiving high pay compared to the amount of work I do
_____ having a feeling of accomplishment
_____ having pleasant working conditions
_____ being able to work alone
_____ being able to do things for others
_____ being somebody
_____ receiving praise and recognition
3. Discuss how your values influence your lifestyle
SELF-CHECK NO. 1
Check your mastery of Personal Development by completing the questions or tasks below:
Fill in the blank the missing word.
__________ 1. It plays an important part in the identification and choice of specific career.
__________ 2. A continuous change for improvement in all aspects of the person.
__________ 3. Dealing with one’s inner self
__________ 4. Dealing with outer self
__________ 5. It means giving more what is observed or what is public knowledge as one’s
Feel free to read these thought-provoking and compelling hubs:
More by this Author
FISH PASTE (BAGOONG) AND FISH SAUCE (PATIS) FROM PANGASINAN, PHILIPPINES. Fish paste (bagoong) and fish sauce (patis) are very popular in our country, Philippines. Some of our native dishes (like pinakbet, dinengdeng...
OBTAIN AND CONVEY WORKPLACE INFORMATION PARTICIPATE IN MEETINGS AND DISCUSSIONS COMPLETE RELEVANT WORK DOCUMENTS MODULE DESCRIPTION : This module contains information about ...
INFORMATION SHEET NO. 2 DEVELOPING A PROFESSIONAL GROWTH PLAN A person cannot align his career unless he has aligned his personal life. He knows what he is headed to, what he wants and how to get it. Many people...