Resume Writing: Proper Resume Formatting
HubPages uses the ads and affiliate links in this article to pay me a small percentage. There is NO extra cost to you. If you normally use an ad blocker, please consider turning it off while you are visiting this site. Thank you!
The visual appeal of your résumé can make or break your chances of getting an interview, so it must look professional!
- Leave plenty of space so the page looks inviting to read.
- Make sure the margins are the same on all sides, preferably one inch on all sides
- Use friendly, yet professional font. Cutsie fonts are inappropriate.
- Use bullets, bolding and underlines to emphasize.
- Label each section clearly.
- Use black ink on quality paper.
If you have more than two pages:
- Ensure the page breaks at an appropriate location.
- Be sure to clearly indicate the number of pages (e.g. 1 of 2)
- Make sure the second page is given a proper heading in case the pages become separated.
Be sure to use consistent formatting throughout the document.
The Job Hunter's Guide
- Networking and Research;
- Informational interviews;
- Writing resume and cover letters;
- Preparing for a job interview;
- Interview do's and don'ts, what to expect, how to answer difficult questions; and
The Job Hunter's Guideincludes valuable examples and is a must have for employment service agencies, labour boards, career coaches and job hunters alike.
You can also get a free copy of Samples and References: A Companion Book to The Job Hunter’s Guide which includes worksheets and helpful checklists.
© 2015 Rosa Marchisella
More by this Author
Employers want to know your skills to help them decide if you have what it takes to do the job well, if you will fit in, and if you can make the company look good. Find out what your skills are.
The Employment History section of a résumé is the perfect place to really show a potential employer what you know and can do. Here's some tips to make your résumé shine.
A new parent's nightmare includes slogging through all the baby products on the market to find out what works best for the most reasonable price. Diapers are high on the list, so let's compare the two big name diaper...
No comments yet.