Search Engine Optimisation For Your Web Site
Why is SEO Important?
Search Engine Optimisation plays a vital part in the success of any online business and it should be one of the major step in the website development process. With any website the higher up the search results you appear the more prospective customers will visit your website and this will increase your site traffic and sale conversion. To rank well on any major search engine such as Google your site must be well optimised so it meets all search ranking requirements.
Once you have developed a website and it is up and running you should take necessary steps to improve your search engine positioning so your site appears on the top 10 results or atleast top 20 results as 87% of all visitors are from a page 1 position of the search result.
First Step In SEO For Your Website
One of the first step of your SEO process should be to work out where your web site stands at the moment by carrying out a detailed site analysis of your site. You can do this analysis yourself of you can hire a Search Engine Specialist to do this for you. Many SEO companies will also be able to create a detailed SEO Report for your website. The SEO report will provide you with essential information to know clearly where your website stands today. The report will advise you on what you need to do to improve your web page to make it more search engine friendly and increase your web ranking.
Once an SEO report is created, it can be shared with your web development team and can be used as a management tool to improve your future search results.
What can improve your search ranking?
There are many things you should be doing to keep your site in tip-top condition to rank well on search engine results. Here is a list of several factors to consider:
- Site Contents: your site content is the king. The more content you add the better. Your content should be relevant to your website and should contain relevant keywords and headings. Ensure that you add new content regularly. Search engine prefer sites that is updated regularly and have 'fresh meat'.
- Keyword in the URL: use keywords in page names or urls i.e. if you have a website about dogs and have a page about do training your page url should contain the key word dog training (i.e. www.dog.com/dog_training.html). Google crawler can detect keywords on urls.
- Keyword in domain name: if possible use keywords in domain name i.e. if you have website about SEO then domain name such as SEO.com will be perfect.
- Incoming Links: incoming link is a major factor to consider. There are several ways to to get incoming links to your web site including: Reciprocal linking, 3 way linking, social bookmarking, posting on forums with signature containg a link to your site, writing and distributing articles, commenting on blogs and submitting your site to web directories.
- Keyword in the title tag: Keyword in Title tag - close to beginning. Title tag should be 10 - 60 characters and should not contain special characters.
- Keyword in description meta tag: should be less than 200 chars. Google no longer "relies" upon this tag, but will often use it.
- Keyword in keyword meta tag: Every word in this tag MUST appear somewhere in the body text. If not, it can be penalized for irrelevance. No single word should appear more than twice. If not, it may be considered spam. Google purportedly no longer uses this tag, but others do.
- Keywords in the body text: use major keywords relevant to your site in the body text but don't over do it. Keyword density must be between 5%-20%. the keyword spamming threshold % varies with the topic.
- Keywords in H1,H2,H3: Use Hx font style tags appropriately.
- Add standard sitemap to your site to help visitors: Not only site map can help visitors to find relevant information easily but webcrawlers also visits your sitemap to find web pages relevant to keywords and search terms.
- Add a Google Sitemap to your site and update it regularly, or automate the updating process through a script.
- Internal links: make sure all internal links are valid and linked to the correct places or page.
- Web directory submission: submit your site to major web directories but don't do it too frequently or you may get blacklisted for spamming.
Negative SEO factors
Some of the factors listed above can work against you if your site jumps to the negative factors listed below:
- Text in graphics form, leaving no content within the body: a big big no to this as search engine can not read images.
- Links, Links and Links nothing but just links: don't turn your site into affiliate site with just links and no content. Search engine can blacklist your site as it regards this as spamming.
- Linking to link farm or blacklisted site: thinks before you link to a site, check the site content. If you link to a blacklisted site, it is likely you will also get blacklisted which is the last thing you want.
- Vile language: putting normal word together that can have different meaning. In fact anything that can be deemed offensive, including racial or ethnic slurs.
- Excessive cross links, especially within the same IP block (suggesting the same server).
- Keyword stuffing: keep keywords to sensible level.
- Using frames: even now search engines have problem with frames. A big NO. Use table or CSS to organise your site not frames.
- Invisible text: i.e. white text on white background. Also avoid using very small text.
Search engine optimisation can be challenging but it is a important process in any web development project as it can make you web content more relevant, more attractive and more search engine friendly. It is the best way to analyse, organise and construct a web page so that it can be discovered by major search engines. SEO methods can be used to reach your customers online and connect to people. Many SEO experts are now using social media in their SEO as social media is favored by people and search engine crawlers. People are spending more and more time on social media like facebook, digg, twitter and search engines like to follow people. It helps people to find business on the internet and crawlers to visit your site easily and regularly.
More by this Author
You may have heard or come across it on the internet that many people have started an eBay business without investing any money. There are literally hundreds and thousands of e-books you can find on the internet which...
Ok you have setup your eBay account, sold few items, is quiet comfortable with selling and buying on eBay’s web site and now very excited and serious about starting an eBay business and make some serious money,...
computer Computers are becoming part of our lives and nearly every household in UK now owns a computer. Sometimes the way people talk about computers can be very confusing specially if your are new to computers...