Seeking Bliss? The Top 50 Companies to Work for if you Want to be Happy
Are You Happy at Your Job?See results without voting
CareerBliss.com has compiled a list of the top fifty companies in America that you should try to work at if you want to be happy in your job. They looked at nearly one hundred thousand reviews of companies completed in 2010 and then ranked the companies on a scale of one to five in a number of categories. In order to make the “top 50” list the companies were required to have at least twenty reviews completed about them during the 2010 year.
Some of the companies where employees are happiest were not surprising at all. After all, we all know that Google tries hard to keep its employees happy and it only seems appropriate that people working at The Walt Disney Company would be happy. However, did you know that the City of Los Angeles and the United States Military also have very happy employees?
The categories that were ranked to determine employee happiness included:
1. Opportunity for growth in the company and opportunity for career advancement. After all, you don’t want to just be happy in your job now but you also want to know that you’ll have the potential to keep growing and challenging yourself.
2. Salary. The amount of compensation that you receive for your work does play a role in how happy you are at your job. It’s not the only determining factor but it matters.
3. Employee benefits. People may be willing to accept a lower paying job if the benefits that they received were extraordinary. Of course, it’s even better to have a job that pays well and also has good employee benefits.
4. Job security. People want to know that they are likely to still have a job at the end of the year. This knowledge provides security that makes people happy at work.
5. Work-life balance afforded to employees. It’s tough to be happy when you have to work all of the time so a good work-life balance is a key factor among employees who say that they are happy at their jobs.
The survey also looked at whether or not the employee who completed the review would be willing to recommend the company to others.
Based on this information, CareerBliss.com determined that the Top 50 companies with the happiest employees in 2010 were:
3. DTE Energy
5. United States Military
6. LSI Corporation
7. Charles Schwab
10. Johnson & Johnson
12. Baker Hughes
13. Abbott Laboratories
14. The Boeing company
15. Cisco Systems
16. Texas Instruments
18. City of Los Angeles
19. Marriott International
20. First American Title
21. Fidelity Investments
24. Wells Fargo Bank
25. General Electric Company
26. Kaiser Permanente
28. Novartis Pharmaceuticals
29. Raytheon Company
30. Costco Wholesale
33. Blue Cross Blue Shield
34. The Walt Disney Company
35. Sony Pictures Entertainment
37. Booz Allen Hamilton
38. Automobile Club of Southern California
39. Lockheed Martin
40. General Electric
41. American Heart Association
44. Waste Management
45. Deutsche Bank
46. Sun Microsystems
47. Verizon Wireless
49. JP Morgan Chase
Of course, because of the nature of the study (requiring 20 independent employee reviews to make the list) this survey doesn’t consider the happiness of employees at small firms and employees who are self-employed.
What do you think? Do you think you’d be happy working at one of these fifty companies?
More by this Author
Finding a job is difficult. But what might be even more difficult for some people is figuring out how to get used to the new environment that they are working in when they do finally manage to get a new job. There are...
A lot of people wake up in the morning with the thought, “ugh, I don’t want to go to work”. Do you think that you’d feel the same way if your job was a job that you could do underwater? It would...
Dog toys can be a great source of entertainment, mental stimulation, and even dental hygiene for your pet. Plus, chew toys help take their focus off of the desire to chew your things! Unfortunately, though, a lot of...