Selling Your Hair for Cash
Want to sell your hair in South Africa? Or sell your hair in London? Location is no barrier to this easy way to earn extra cash by selling your hair. You might even consider starting a business selling other people's hair, as a hair broker?
Selling hair is something not many people know about, but it's a great way to make money easily - if you have long hair, of course. Especially if your hair is fast-growing.
Selling hair is something you can even set up a business doing, by finding people who have hair to sell - and connecting them with people who want to buy hair.
Who Buys Hair for Sale?
Mostly it is wigmakers who buy hair - for wig making. While a lot of wigs are synthetic, the really good ones, the expensive ones, all use real hair - so for wigmakers to make money they have to be able to buy hair. Selling hair is something that anybody can do because wigmakers need all hair types to make wigs to suit all people.
Hairdressers will buy hair, to use as extensions for client styles. And some people will buy hair and then use it for extensions to their own hair.
Selling Hair Prices: How Much Money Will You Get From Selling Hair?
Selling hair prices will vary, but the prices are good - and seling hair prices are currently increasing. Real human hair is sought after and there's a limited supply of it.
Prices can go to well over $2000, with many sellers selling quite short and common hair for $400-$750 a time. In the UK, a wigmaker might pay £3-5/oz. One thing's for sure - the money can really make a difference.
Grey, Ginger, Afro Hair?
If your hair is in shorter supply than others, then it means selling your hair is likely to make you more money than those with dark brown hair. You'd think that wigmakers would want long, blonde hair, but in reality they want EVERY length, every color, every texture.
Wigmakers will want to produce wigs for vanity, so people might want to have long blonde hair - but a lot of their business is making wigs for people who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, or alopaecia. These people are most likely to want a wig made from hair that closely matches their own, original hair.
Where Can I Sell My Hair in....
From Cape Town in South Africa, to London in the UK and Sydney, Australia, more people are wanting to get paid for their hair. You can keep an eye out for online adverts to get an idea of prices in your area. It's an increasing market, so more and more adverts are appearing to show you where you can sell your hair wherever you live!
Or, pop into a couple of local, high-end, salons to find out what they suggest. They're the ones buying hair so will know the good suppliers you can approach. Or they might be in a position to offer to buy it from you, but that depends on the size of the salon and their contacts.
Hair Extensions Being Stolen From Salons
Selling your hair has become so lucrative that salons are now reporting lots of thefts of hair extensions. There have been raids on beauty salons across America, with just the hair extensions being stolen.
In March 2011, one beauty salon owner in Michigan was shot dead during an attempt to prevent his hair extensions being stolen.
Selling hair is BIG business!!
The stolen hair extensions are being sold on ebay, Craigslist, other online auction sites and even directly from the boot of cars.
Salon owners are reporting a 3-4-fold increase in clients booking in to have hair extensions - and that hair needs to come from somewhere.... it's not like you can just grow it is it :)
Start a Hair Selling Business
There are many ways you could start a hair selling business. Here are a few ideas to get you thinking:
- If you've not got long hair yourself. You could simply research hair buyers, wigmakers, etc and then advertise for people who have hair to sell - and sell it on.
- You could contact local hairdressers, who could even work on a commission basis to find their own customers who want to sell their hair.
- Set up a hair auction website, or start a hair selling social network. There are lots of ways you could start your own business selling hair, without ever selling your own!
- Buy hair locally and sell it on ebay.
Selling Hair: Tips
If you're selling your hair, then you need to know what hair fetches the best price. Clearly the longer the hair is, the more valuable it will be. But as well as length, there's texture, thickness and color to think about.
Time of year might also be important. I suspect there's a bigger demand for it during the winter and leading up to the Xmas party season, than the peak of a hot summer!
So, apart from the obvious, what would a hair buyer be looking for:
- Virgin Hair - this is the most sought after. Virgin hair is hair that's not had any treatments or coloring.
- Longer hair - usually the shortest that can be sold is about 10"
- Most buyers want to buy hair that is bound - so selling a whole ponytail, not just all loose.
How Much Will Selling Your Hair Earn You?
That's difficult to say. Some buyers buy it by the inch, others by the weight - but it's a complex mix of length, weight, style, your location and even when you're selling your hair.
Who Buys Hair for Wig Making?
You can sell your hair to an increasing number of companies, so who buys hunan hair for wigs? There are a number of websites where you can sell your hair. I can't guarantee the results, this is simply a resource for you. Here's a list of some of the wigmakers who buy human hair:
- http://ebay.com/ebay.co.uk - eBay is a place you can sell you hair. You have more Seller Protection. Why not have a look through ebay and see if anybody's selling their hair on there now, then watch their listing.
- http://craigslist.com - Craigslist is a popular place for people selling hair. If you're familiar with Craigslist, this might be somewhere you can try, if you're new to Craigslist then be aware there are a lot of phony ads on there.
- http://www.onlinehairaffair.com - Online Hair Affair is a hair-selling auction, so it's like a Hair eBay. You list your hair for sale, then pay a fee if it sells.
- http://hairwork.com/ - Hairwork lets you advertise your hair for sale, at a cost of $20 for a 3 month listing. This site has been running as a "Hair for Sale" website for a couple of years and there are lots of sellers' stories and prices to read through too.
- http://thehairtrader.com/ - The Hair Trader CLOSED DOWN.
In 2009 The Hair Trader was the top hair selling website and they were having over 1000 enquiries PER DAY. They were even featured in a "Good Morning America" report about sellinghair and they were offering the best prices for hair.
Contact Wig Makers to Sell Your Hair
Wigmakers will often buy your hair, if it's in good condition. Why not contact local wigmakers. In the UK, one who buys hair is http://www.banburypostiche.co.uk but they all need to get their real human hair from somewhere - so find out where they buy - and if they'll buy yours.
Wigmakers will typically want:
- Hair that is 10" or longer
- Virgin hair, so untreated/undyed and tangle-free hair
- Hair that has been tied into a pony tail before cutting, so all the root areas are held together.
Do You Know Of Any Other Sites for Selling Hair?
If you do, leave a comment and I'll check them out and add them.
Selling Your Hair: Listing Tips
If you're selling your hair by placing an advert, then make sure you write the best advert you can. Here are some tips to get the best advert together - the better you make your "Hair for Sale" advert, the more likely you are to get a good price for it:
- Take lots of photos of your hair. You might need a friend's help with this.
- Use a tape measure in the photos to show how long it is - and also the girth. If you tie it into a ponytail, the girth is the thickness of it where the band is.
- Describe the texture and type of your hair. If it's curly, is it curly and soft? or curly and wiry?
- Describe how you maintain your hair. What shampoos do you use? What conditioners? Do you let it dry naturally, or use a hairdrier/straighteners on it?
- Describe your lifestyle. Things that will affect your hair's value and quality are: do you smoke? do you eat lots of fresh fruit/veg? do you live in the countryside or a city?
- Try to weigh it. Bit of a tough one this! But, if you can find a way to weigh your hair and put that in the advert it might persuade a buyer to buy yours over one that's not weighed theirs. Of course, if you've already cut your hair, ready to sell it, then this is no problem.
When you're selling your hair, you're actually selling a lifestyle, you're selling a desirable and valuable item, so try to make people WANT to own it.
Look at the adverts other people have put up - pick out good points and bad points. Look at the titles they've used - which draw you in? Look at their photos - what makes a good photo of hair?
Poll: Would You Sell Your Hair?
If you had long hair and if you'd earn $200-$1000 to sell it, would you?See results without voting
More by this Author
If you're already one of the thousands of Avon representatives around the world, or looking to become one, then one question you might be asking yourself is: How Do I Find New Customers? 12 great ways to generate...
I bet you've thought of an invention before. Some people have many inventions ideas. Most of us have had a few ideas about inventions over the years. Learn how you can pitch your idea to investors and discover how to...
New and existing market traders are always looking to find the best selling products for market stalls, in order to start up as a market trader, increase their existing turnover, or break out into new markets.
Comments 18 comments
The Ritters: Long Hair