Life and Work in Sherman, Texoma - Old Helldorado
Interstate Cooperation - TX Longhorns and OK Sooners
Texoma is a market region that covers ten southern Oklahoma counties and three northern Texas counties that lie along the Red River.
The leading cities in this market and workforce area are
- Sherman and Dennison in Texas and
- Ada and Ardmore in Oklahoma.
Intense sports (college football, predominantly) and political rivals have prevented economic interstate cooperation in the past, but these barriers have begun to fall away since 2005 and more so in the Great Recession of 2008 - 2010. In 2015. By early 2015, jobs had increased in Texahoma overall.
In 2007, cooperative plans for creating greate access to the entire region of Texoma were written to include Education, Quality of Life, and Economic Growth.
In 2009, leaders targeted the industries of 1) Healthcare and 2) combined Manufacturing, Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics. Progress is tracked by interested organizations such as KnowYourRegion.org.
The leading industrial sectors supporting the economy of the Sherman-Denison Metro Area and the Texahoma Region include:
- Trade, Transportation and Utilities - Trucking is expanding quickly.
- Educational and Health Services
- Leisure and Hospitality - includes Travel & Tourism, Dining & Accommodations
City of Sherman
Sherman is only 60 miles north of Dallas for residents that want a day trip for shopping and excitement in the big city. They can return to their own relaxing Sherman, Texas and still have vibrant arts, culture, and history at their fingertips. Its also just 10 miles south of Lake Texoma, which was built by the Army Corps of Engineers and became a great vacationing spot with plenty of room and loads of water activities.
Perrin Field Historical Society preserves the history of Perrin Army Airfield and Perrin Air Force Base formerly in Grayson County for 30 years. The museum contains old photographs and other memorabilia, and the society maintains artifacts in the lobby of the Grayson County Airport.
Many of the city streets are undergoing reconstruction 2009 - 2012 and Downtown Sherman is in the midst of an ongoing revitalization project to being increased numbers of living and commercial spaces to the downtown area. Historical sites are preserved and maintained by local organizations as well. Shopping is another feature of Downtown Sherman that many enjoy. (See section on Downtown Sherman, below.) Shopping is also available at the Midway Mall, Sherman Town Center, and Sherman Commons.
Business investments in Sherman jumped from $111,000 in fiscal 2006-7 to $337,016,600 in 2007-8. Part of this increase is contributed by Panda Energy from Dallas, Texas, which contructed to 500 megawatt facility. Alternative energy sources are also a focus for future business. State and city business incentives make Sherman an attractive place to open a company.
Sherman - Denison Links
- Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site
Site features 2-story frame house in the railroad town Denison where Dwight D. Eisenhower was born, 1890. Eisenhower's father worked for the railroad and the property features artifacts, period 19th C. antiques, woodlands, creek & hiking path...
- US History: President Dwight D. Eisenhower, WWII General
This was an era of fear about the Red Menace, the Pink Menace, the Yellow Menace, and the Little Green Men.
- Welcome to The Red River Historical Museum
- Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge home page
- Lake Texoma Online Guide
The Lake Texoma Association was organized in the 1940s and is very much like a chamber of commerce, but with one major difference its diverse membership.
- Red River Railroad Museum
Located in and beside the restored Historic KATY Depot in downtown Dension, TX. Just one hour North of Dallas, you will find hundreds of memories from the golden era of the railroads. We had the 1st interurban railway in TX, Denison - Sherman, in 1901.
Texas Rail History
The American railroad system was instrumental in transporting goods from Central and North Texas and Oklahoma out to the business markets that demanded those goods.
Diagram of a Locomotive
Downtown Sherman Revitalization
Revitalization and reconstruction in urban areas is a major component of creating additional economic health in a city. As the county seat and home of the county courthouse, Sherman has had added incentive for maintaining a vibrant downtown area.
Sherman, like other towns and cities across America, has been focusing on downtown improvements in recent years. News in July 2009 of ARRA funds available to US towns and cities to preserve historic buildings may add an additional boost to Sherman. The City of Sherman, Sherman Department of Tourism, Sherman Chamber of Commerce, and Downtown Sherman Preservation and Revitalization (DSP&R) have worked together since the 1990s with success.
An interesting note is that Sherman in the Historical Old West hosted many bandits and outlaws such as Jesse James, earning the nickname "Helldorado on the Cross Timbers."
Interesting Downtown Sherman Links:
- A Day in Downtown Sherman - click another link for a map of Downtown Sherman.
Projections for Fastest Growing Jobs to 2016
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers - does not include Voc-Ed
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Teacher's Assistants
- Customer Service Representatives
- Construction Laborers
- First-Line Supervisors for Food Prep and Service
- Child Care Workers
- Combined Food Prep and Service job titles
- Retail Salespersons
- Nurse's Aides and Orderlies
- Farm Workers & Laborers - Plant crops and plants
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers, excluding Voc-Ed
- Maids and Houseers
- Welders, Solderers, and related jobs
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Mfg
- Product Team Assemblers
Largest Area Employers, Sherman-Denison
- Tyson Foods - Meat processing and distributing; best known for chicken products.
- Wilson N. Jones Regional Heath System
- Texoma Health Care System
- Texas Instruments - Semiconductors & defense electronics
- Connect General (Cigna) - Insurance claims processing
- Sherman Independent School District
Occupations To Add the Most Jobs by 2016
Actual Job Listings
The Top 10 Job Listings for Sherman and Denison, Texas.
- CDL-Licensed Truck Drivers
- Software and Systems Engineers and IT Technicians
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Automotive Technicians
- Speech Therapists
- Family Practice, OB/GYN, and Internal Medicine Physicians
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Planning Analysts
- Insurance Salespeople
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
Top Hiring Companies
Leading companies hiring in Sherman-Denison include recruiters, often for Healthcare:
- Texoma Medical Center
- Rush Trucking
- Southern Medical Recruiters
- Bank of America - Mortgage and other loans
- Medical Staffing Network
- Core Medical Group
- Advanced Medical
- Baylot Emergency Medical
- Universal Health Services
- Healthcare Professionals Network
Area Higher Education
- Austin College
- A & M at Commerce
- Grayson County College
- Murray State College - Tishomingo, Oklahoma
- North Central Texas College - Gainesville, Texas
- Southern Methodist University
- Southern Oklahoma Technology Center - Ardmore, Oklahoma
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University - Durant, Oklahoma
- University of North Texas
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The Top 15 Fastest-Growing Oklahoma Jobs include occupations in the Transportation Industry, Healthcare Industry and Information Technology (IT).
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...