Teen Summer Jobs in the Port Richey, Tampa and Clearwater Area of Florida
America Expands Summer Job Programs
As part of the American job development programs of the 2010s after the demise of the Jop Training Partnership Act funding of the pate 1990s, Career Central in Pasco County may have jobs for youth as young as 14 and as old as 24.
Thirteen-year-olds and their parents can use the contact information below to learn whether any exceptions can be made for 13-year-olds.
Most government-sponsored summer job slots are already filled by early to middle June, but sometimes youth quit and need to be replaced from a waiting list. If you cannot be placed onto the waiting list, sign up early in the year for each additional summer until you are 24 years old.
Tourism and Outdoor Recreation Offer Summer Jobs
Port Richey, Florida
Many teens and preteens want to find a job for the summer to earn spending money, to save for a special purchase, or for college, to use for clothes and supplies for the new school year coming up, or to help out their families.
Others want to work to have a feeling of independence and to start building a resume early. They may have instruction during the school year in work readiness classes to help them prepare for the world of work.
Most summer jobs require youth to be at least 14 years old in order to work legally. The exceptions may be:
- Family owned businesses (owned by the youth's own family), and
- Summer job programs sponsored by the local Workforce Development Board. These summer programs were operated by then nation's Private Industry Councils and a few of them are still open for business, helping youth and adults find jobs. Still, the lower age limit maybe 14.
Government Sponsored Work Programs
There may not be any jobs at all for youth and especially aged 13 at the end of June, but you can have your parents call or email and ask.
Private Industry Council of Pasco County Inc
- 709 S Us Highway 98 Bypass; Dade City, FL 33523; (352) 521-1261
The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email only)
Port Richey City Office (sometimes city governments offer summer jobs)
- (727) 816-1900
Private Company Employment
The highest demand summer jobs are listed by the following companies in the area; check them out for age requirements according to the local Chambers of Commerce and county statistics..
- YMCA of the Suncoast
- Leslie's Poolmart
- Tech Data
- City of Largo, Florida
- The Princeton Review
- GTE Financial
- City of Safety Harbor, Florida
- Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
- Busch Gardens Tampa
- Potter's House Community Development
Volunteer Work for Young Teens
Permitted jobs for 13-year-olds include non-paid volunteer jobs and you may be able to use these volunteer hours to fulfill a high school graduation requirements.
Other jobs for 13-year-olds include Volunteer Jobs and you may be able to use volunteer hours to fulfill a high school graduation requirement. In other words, you probably have to work a certain number of volunteer hours in order to receive your high school diploma.
Some schools will accept hours earned the summer before 9th grade. Check our local high school requirements.
Look for volunteer jobs in your local newspaper ads and on SimplyHired.com and Indeed.com.
Make Your Own Job
At the age of 13, some youth can make money in the following ways:
- Newspaper route, weekly or daily
- Delivering weekly ads door-to-door
- Lawn mowing and yard work
- Running Errands
- Babysitting:The YMCA/YWCA often offer training and certification classed for youth babysitters.
- Dog walking, dog washing, and pet sitting
- Recycling: Glass or plastic bottles and cans can be a source of income.
- Some teenagers in middle school and early high school years find good employment at high wages in local video game companies. Here, they spend a few hours a week - longer in the summers - creating new games and testing out current and new games. The field of virtual reality is growing and may offer talented young programmers work as well.
Have your parents help you find out what type of work is legal for you to do in your city and consider placing a Want Ad in your local newspaper, advertising your services - dog walking or babysitting, perhaps.
Pass out flyers in your neighborhood, if it is safe and legal to do so and your parents agree. Your parents will need to help you screen the calls and email replies if you list your email address. Do not go to meet anyone you don't know alone, only with your parents.
Some youth start their own businesses when they come up with a good idea about a service that is needed in the community and not met by anyone else. That is another option.
Be Safe Looking for a Job and On the Job
Teen Job Resources Across the Country
- Arts at Young and Broke - Jobs in the arts, and additional teen job search sites.
- Golf Caddie Jobs are listed at PCA Worlwide.
- Illinois Jobs for 13, 14, and 15-year-olds - Weekly stipend for business class attendance; summer jobs avaiable.
- Indianapolis, Indiana Private Industry Council - Summer jobs for teens pay $8.50, higher than minimum wage. Link provides applications when slots are available.
- New York City - NYC always has a large Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Teen Summer Jobs in Washington DC grow yearly. Contact the city government.
- Try Alaska - Summer Jobs for youth and adults. Fishing, cruise ships, contruction, oil jobs, internships, many more.
No matter where you are in the country, call your country and city offices and ask about 1) stimulus jobs for teenagers and 2) work-related summer classes that pay teens a stipend (tax-free dollars) to attend. Any of these programs often run through mid-August and some are extended to the end of August, if funding is available.
Dropouts often can be replaced from a waiting list. Call now and call early for summer 2010 and each new summer season.
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Workers quit jobs daily in America, but what are the reasons? Many reasons exist and these are the 10 I have most heard in my Employment & Workforce Development activities from 2000 - 2012.
You may be considering a job transfer and be able to benefit from the enclosed Transfer Request Letter. However, you may want to master current job tasks before moving to another job site.
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.