Age Qualifications for Teen Summer Jobs - Port Richey and Clearwater Area, Florida
Summer Jobs Programs for Youth 2010 - 2016
Hubber carlie h has asked about summer jobs for 13-year-olds and we can provide some information here.
As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Career Central in Pasco County may have jobs for youth as young as 14 and as old as 24. Thirteen-year-olds and their parents can use the contact information below to learn whether any exceptions can be made for 13-year-olds. Most jobs are already filled by mid-June, but sometimes youth quit and need to be replaced from someone on a waiting list. If you cannot be placed onto the waiting list, sign up early for 2010 and each additional summer until you are 24 years old in some cases.
Many teens and pre-teens want to find a job for the summer to earn spending money, to save for a special purchase or for college, to use for clothes and supplies for the new school year coming up, or to help out their families. Others want to work to have a feeling of independence and to start building a resume early. They may have instruction during the school year in work readiness classes to help them prepare for the world of work.
Most summer jobs require youth to be at least 14 years old in order to work legallly. The exceptions may be:
- Family owned businesses (owned by the youth's own family), and
- Summer job programs sponsored by the local Workforce Development Board. These summer programs were operated by then nation's Private Industry Councils and a few of them are still open for business, helping youth and adults find jobs. Still, the lower age limit maybe 14.
Contact Information for possible jobs in Port Richey and New Port Richey:
There may not be any jobs at all for youth and especially aged 13 at the end of June, but you can have your parents call or email and ask.
Private Industry Council of Pasco County Inc
- 709 S Us Highway 98 Bypass; Dade City, FL 33523; (352) 521-1261
The 2009 Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email only)
Port Richey City Office (sometimes cities run summer programs for youth)
- (727) 816-1900
Port Richey is a little over two miles away from New Port Richey and East Port Richey.
Port Richey, Florida
Nearby Cities on Review
- How to Relocate, Retire and Enjoy Life In Clearwater, Florida
Clearwater, Florida is centrally located on the Gulf side of the state, near many conveniences and attractions, and in the center of a good job market. It is also a great place to retire.
- Dunedin, Florida and the Greater Tampa Area
Baby Boomers and others are retiring to Florida, many from Ohio leaving the Buckeye State for the warmer climate and retirement jobs. Here are some of the places these travellers are settling, and why.
Other jobs for 13 year olds include Volunteer Jobs and you may be able to use volunteer hours to fulfill a high school graduation requirement.
Other Jobs Available, Including Volunteers
Other jobs for 13-year-olds include Volunteer Jobs and you may be able to use volunteer hours to fulfill a high school graduation requirement. In other words, you probably have to work a certain number of volunteer hours in order to receive your high school diploma.
Some schools will accept hours earned the summer before 9th grade. Check our local high school requirements.
Look for volunteer jobs i your local newspaper ads and on SimplyHired.com.
List of Related Volunteer Jobs
- Volunteer Jobs - Port Richey, FL | Simply Hired
Every Volunteer job in Port Richey, FL on the web. 278 jobs available. Recent Jobs: Volunteer Coordinator Green Team, Healthcare Volunteer, Volunteer in Human Resources
Be Safe Looking for a Job and On the Job
At the age of 13, some youth can make money in the following ways:
- Newspaper route weekly or daily
- Delivering weekly ads door-to-door
- Lawn mowing and yard work
- Running Errands
- Babysitting - The YMCA/YWCA often offer training and certification classed for youth babysitters.
- Dog walking and pet sitting
- Recycling - glass or plastic bottles and cans.
Have your parents help you find out what type of work is legal for you to do in your city and consider placing a Want Ad in your local newspaper, advertising your services - dog walking or babysitting, perhaps. Pass out flyers in your neighborhood, if it is safe and legal to do so and your parents agree. Your parents will need to help you screen the calls and email replies if you list your email address. Do not go to meet anyone you don't know alone, only with your parents.
Some youth start their own businesses when they come up with a good idea about a service that is needed in the community and not met by anyone else. That is another option.
Best of success to you!
Other Possibilities - Try these links
- Jobs for Teens - Are you a Teenager Looking for a Part Time Job?
Search by entering your zipcode after you click on the link.
- Got-A-job -- Teen Jobs: Find Part-Time, Seasonal & Summer jobs for Teens and Adults | GotAJob.co
Job tips to help teens land a great job. Defy stereotypes of teens and be prepared for your job interview by reading the job description and showing a passion for wanting the job.
Teen Job Resources Across the Country
- Young and Broke - Jobs in the arts, and additional teen job search sites.
- Illinois Jobs for 13, 14, and 15-year-olds - Funded by a Stimulus Package. Weekly stipend for business class attendance.
- Indianapolis, Indiana Private Industry Council - Summer jobs for teens pay $8.50, higher than minimum wage. Link provides applications when slots are available
- Golf Caddie Jobs - see PCA Worlwide.
- New York City - Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Teen Summer Jobs in Washington DC.
- West Virgina Teen Jobs - MidOhio Valley in WV.
- City of Memphis ARRA Teen Summer Jobs Program.
- Alaska - Summer Jobs for youth and adults. Fishing, cruise ships, contruction, oil jobs, internships, many more.
No matter where you are in the country, call your country and city offices and ask about 1) stimulus jobs for teenagers and 2) work-related summer classes that pay teens a stipend (tax-free dollars) to attend. Any of these programs often run through mid-August and some are extended to the end of August, if funding is available.
Dropouts often can be replaced from a waiting list. Call now and call early for summer 2010 and each new summer season.
Comparisons with Adult Job Listings
Adult jobs in the Port Richey - New Port Richey area number usually about 24,000 openings, full-time and part-time. Most of listed are these:
- Dental Assistants
- Store Managers and Assistant Mangers
- Home Health Care Clinicians
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Medical Sales Reps
- Seasonal Customer Service Representatives
Often, in times of recession, as in the Recession of 2008-10, adults and youth compete for the same jobs. However, this is likely not true for the jobs listed above, except in the case for some part-time summer sales and service rep positions, for which youth would likely need to be at least 16 years old.
Summer Jobs and Internships For All Working Ages
- Top 10 Summer Jobs For High School and College
High school and college students - even grad students - can start with a summer job or business internship and become a successful business owner! One young man began in Jeffersonville, Indiana as a dishwasher in a pizza joint and became a natonal re
- Top 10 Summer Jobs for Adults and College Students
Walking & Singing to Work in the Summer of 1967. Watts/LA.Top 10 Summer Jobs for High School and College Top 10 Summer Jobs for Youth and Adults How to Find a Successful Internship The Unemployment Rates in...
More by this Author
Workers quit jobs daily in America, but what are the reasons? Many reasons exist and these are the 10 I have most heard in my Employment & Workforce Development activities from 2000 - 2012.
You may be considering a job transfer and be able to benefit from the enclosed Transfer Request Letter. However, you may want to master current job tasks before moving to another job site.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!