Ten Reasons Why People are FIRED from Their Jobs-No It is NOT For What You May Think!
You Can Be Fired For Almost Anything!
In these precarious economic times, one must exhibit the utmost smarts and creativity in order to retain their jobs. People are doing almost anything(legal, that is) to be indispensable to their superiors. They are returning to school and taking job upgrading classes to update their skills. One must be constantly up to date just to keep a job. Promotions are almost out of the question-the main concern is just keeping a job in these perilous times!
Even though, the majority of people are scrambling and hustling to retain their positions, there are people who by their actions, are near and/or on their way to being fired and unemployed. Their actions are not the usual actions such as being constantly late and having poor work performance. Their actions are often intangible; however, these actions are seriously affecting them and the workplace. Please note: some states have an at will employment policy i.e. that an employee can be terminated for ANY reason as long as it is nondiscriminatory!
Here is my synopsis on the ten reasons why people are terminated from their jobs- and it is not for the common reasons that people think! These reasons are as follows:
(1) Being apathetic on the job. There are some people who actually hate their jobs and dread coming to work. However, they elect not to remedy the situation, hoping that "something" and/or "the job" would get better. Alas, it does not and it only gets worse. They know this; however, they still are passive regarding the situation. Then one day, the situation becomes so unbearable that the person really do not give a #%#%(! about the job anymore. Their morale is at an all time low. Their sorry mental attitude eventually affect their technical work performance so they are eventually shown the door! Goodbye and so long!
(2) Having a pissant poor attitude! These people believe that the job should revolve around them. They believe that they do not have to contribute to the workplace beyond the basic, minimal level. They also hate their job and are consummate clock watchers. They hate their coworkers and their superiors! They feel that their job exist as a means to an end- whatever that end is! They make it known that this job is just an onerous task that one just perfunctorily perform! It is just a J-O-B and nothing more! Furthermore, their coworkers and superiors should be GLAD that they are present! Well, guess what-this pissant attitude eventually creates a poisonous work environment which superiors do not need! Bosses know that a bad attitude eventually affecdt staff morale and technical workplace! Let us remedy this and show this employee the door-Bye! Bye!
(3) Career burnout- These people know that they have reached a PLATEAU in their career. They know that they cannot go any further yet they are loathe to search for alternative and/or other career options. A once star performer becomes a surly performer who really do not give a hoot about production and/or work performance. The motto is since there is nowhere else for me to advance to, screw working hard-hell, I am just going to work just to get by if at all! Well, here is news for you! Your stellar past work performance means NOTHING now-it is WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THE COMPANY LATELY! No tangible results eventually equals NO JOB! Adios, my friend- you have sunk yourself!
(4) Being in the wrong corporate culture-each corporation have its own culture and office politics. One must fit into a particular and specific corporation culture in order to thrive and succeed. If a person is in the wrong corporate culture, no matter how hard he/she tries, it will be very difficult for him/her to succeed. Eventually if the person is in the wrong corporate culture, he/she will eventually be terminated from the job "because of personality differences."
(5) Believing that you are better than your job. This is totally self-explanatory. If you believe that you are better than your job, you will not exert the necessary effort to perform your job satisfactorily and to learn all aspects of your job. Your work performance will be minimum at best and minimum is not good enough in these precarious economic times! Sooner or later, you will be shown the door! So, goodbye!
(6) Being ill suited to the job. Again, self-explanatory. Commonsense dictates that if you are ill suited to the job, you will not perform adequately and satisfactorily. You are on your way to being fired! Bye, bye baby!
(7) Creating a toxic and disturbing work environment. You are a malcontent; however, you elect to remain passive in the work environment. Instead of becoming proactive and improving your situation, you chose to sublimate and displace your unhappiness, complaining and bitching in addition to using any methodology necessary to make others unhappy. However, you are being watched and creating a toxic and disturbing work environment are no nos. You are going down a deleterious road- to the unemployment line!
(8) Being confrontational towards your superiors. You have a problem with authority. However, instead of assessing your personality and thinking maybe you should become an entrepreneur and/or work independently, you have the mentality of you vs. them. You view your superiors as your enemies. Your main intent at work is to exercise upmanship with your superiors at every turn. Well, work is not a boxing match. Eventually you will either be asked to and /or forced to L-E-A-V-E!
(9) You insist on following your own drummer to the ultimate extreme. You believe in disregarding and flaunting the work rules. You believe that you are above the rules which govern your co-workers! Okay, keep this up and you will find yourself without a J-O-B!
(10) Always going to the union for the most insignificant matters. You are the employee who goes to the union each time a superior gives you an extra assignment and/or ask you to stay late because of an important assignment. In this day and age, people are constantly asked to go beyond the necessary. People who only limit themselves to certain assignments and job duties are soon viewed as being very dispensable and disposable by their superiors who want only employees who are capable of performing varied assignments! Furthermore, employees who constantly go the union because of insignificant matters are viewed as TROUBLEMAKERS and the LAST thing employers need are troublemakers. It is time to sever this relationship and to say GOODBYE!
Now, you have my take on the ten intangible things that will get an employee fired! Read and beware!
© 2011 Grace Marguerite Williams
More by this Author
FreeDigitalPhotos.net A person's birth order influences the type of person he/she becomes. A person's ordinal position in the family constellation influences the way he/she relates to his/her parents, siblings, and...
FreeDigitalPhotos.net The Human Resource Officer wants to see you. As you enter the office, the Human Resource Officer closes the door behind her/him. There is a gloomy look on his/her face. Then you are informed that...
The alpha woman is unique among women. She is self-assured, self-confident, and does not suffer fools gladly. She is often very authentic and does not believe in game playing!