The Highest Paid Surgeons in the USA: Where These Doctors Make The Best Salaries
(Updated 3/27/2012) Surgeons treat medical conditions through operations. With their patients under anesthesia, they use instruments and manual manipulation to enter the body and repair bone and tissue after injury, correct deformities, or prevent debilitating conditions. They typically work with a staff of surgical specialists that include anesthesiologists and operating room nurses. According to the U.S. Department of Labor as of 2011, the 42,340 surgeons working in the U.S. make a mean wage of $111.32 per hour or $231,550 per year.
The highest paid surgeons in the USA work are located in the following workplaces:
- Scientific research and development services, where 250 doctors make $118.54 per hour or $246,570 per year.
- Offices of physicians, where 31,690 professionals earn $115.90 per hour or $241,060 per year. These are also the biggest employer of surgeons. The second biggest employers are general medical and surgical hospitals, where 6,510 earn a mean $98.55 per hour or $204,970 per year.
- State government, where 150 surgeons earn a mean $113.92 per hour or $236,950 per year.
The top paying states for surgeons are Wyoming, Wisconsin, Washington, Tennessee and South Dakota. However, their salaries are not specified by the Labor Department.
The states with the highest employment for the profession have some of the highest population n the U.S:
- California has 4,830 surgeons earning a mean $104.02 per hour or $216,350 per year.
- Texas has 3,010 doctors making a mean $94.60 per hour or $196,770 per year.
- Illinois shows 2,260 physicians receiving $120.03 per hour or $249,670 per year.
For cities, the highest paid surgeons are in Worcester, Massachusetts; Waterbury, Connecticut; and Providence, Rhode Island. None of their salaries are specified by the Labor Department.
For employment levels, the highest-population cities have the most surgeons.
- Chicago has 1,510 jobs at a mean $119.74 per hour or $249,070 per year.
- New York City is home to 1,330 doctors, with averages of $82.60 per hour or $171,820 per year.
- Los Angeles has 1,100 surgeons making mean wages of $114 per year hour or $237,120 per year.
The following non-metropolitan areas are the top for pay: Northern Mountain Regions of California, West Central Wisconsin, North Central West Virginia, Southwestern Virginia and Southern Vermont. None of their salaries are specified by the Labor Department.
The following rural areas have the best employment levels:
- West Central Kentucky has 110 surgeons at a mean $103.30 per hour or $214,870 per year.
- Rural North Carolina shows 90 doctors making a mean $118.85 per hour or $247,220 per year.
- South Georgia has 90 surgeons with unspecified salaries.
- The Highest Paid Doctors in the USA: Medical Special...
Though doctors earn the highest pay in the U.S. as a group, those who are specialists earn even better salaries.
- The Lowest Paid Doctors in the USA: Medical Specialt...
Even among the highly paid specialists of medical practitioners, some careers don't pay as highly as others.
- The Highest Paid Anesthesiologists in America: Where...
Anesthesiologists are an essential part of the surgical team since they ensure that patients remain pain-free during operations. Their high salaries reflect their necessity and vary by employer and location.
- Highest Paid Nurses in the USA: Where Registered Nur...
Registered nurses (RNs) are one of the fastest-growing professions and the larges group in the healthcare industries. Find out where their best paying positions are located.
More by this Author
Though American society has made great strides in equalizing the job market for both genders, certain jobs are still dominated by men because of innate ability, social pressure or tradition. Some professions have a...
Find what the highest paid dental specialties are, and where they earn the most.
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...
No comments yet.