If You Earn Money From Home, Make Them Take Your Job Seriously - Some Tips to Work at Home
Online Work at Home Jobs Can be a Blessing
How to Work From Home and Make Them Know You're Doing Something Important
When you're running a business from home, it’s really easy to let things slide. I work at home and for a while it wasn’t uncommon for me to be still in my pajamas at three o’clock in the afternoon. Let it be said, though, when I didn’t bother to get dressed, that’s the day the mother in-law comes over and the neighbor needs to borrow your phone.
The trouble is, everyone around me didn’t take my job seriously because I do it at home on the couch, sitting at the coffee table with my laptop. My teen-age daughter came home from school one day, saw me sitting here typing away, and she asked if I’d stop and make her a grilled cheese sandwich. I said, “Can’t you see I’m doing something here?” and she said, “Big deal, you’re just sitting there doing your computer.”
"Doing" my computer?
Everyone who walks in wants to talk, even though you haven’t responded since they walked in. They want to borrow your pen for a second, or they saw your car home and thought they’d stop in. They all know your home so they call just to talk and ask what you‘re doing. People do not take it seriously when someone gets home based income from a work-at-home job.
They won’t take it upon themselves to give the consideration you need, but it isn’t because they’re bad, necessarily. It’s more likely to be because you haven’t taken it seriously yourself, or at least serious enough for it to show to others. You are at-home professionals making supplemental income - or all your income.
Help is Here
You need a few tips to make others take you seriously and respect that your job is just as important as theirs is. You have more freedom to stop and talk a little because you work at home, but that doesn’t mean you can talk all day, and you need to let people know.
- When you get up, do what you would normally do before you‘d go to any job; have coffee, take a shower and read the newspaper.
- Eat. Even one piece of toast is better than nothing, but try to add a piece of fruit, too. Juice is good also. It all helps in giving you stamina and energy and you’ll feel better.
- Get dressed and put your teeth in, (before you eat) if necessary. How can you expect anyone to take you seriously about any business while you’re in your pajamas? Give your hair a going-over with a brush or comb, too. You never know when FedEx or a neighbor will knock at your door.
- Use your voicemail and text messaging like a secretary. Tell everyone you’ll respond when you can during your work shift, so they know ahead of time that you might not answer right away. Answer them when you can, but if you’re on a roll doing whatever it is you do, don’t stop for interruptions and risk breaking a train of thought. Your messages will all be there and in the order they’d come in, too. Later on, when you’ve lost the groove or are taking a break from it, that’s a good time to check your messages and get back to the ones that need an immediate response. Do this several times a day to keep updated, but don’t let the messaging run your day.
- Claim a space as yours and use it to store all your tools and work junk. If possible, it should be a place where you can also do the work you do. That way, when you’re done for the day you can leave that space and close the door, being off work completely, the same as anyone who goes to and from their employment each day. Everyone needs to get off work each day.
- People will sometimes see that your car is in the driveway and opt to stop by on occasion. All though this could be a welcome interruption if it rarely happens, this can be a real drag to people with neighbors and friends that frequently use that as a reason to stop. Putting out one of those funky clock signs that says, “Come back at” and there’s clock hands you can point to the time you’ll be off work. Believe it or not, when someone sees that on a door, it works more often than not.
To enjoy the benefits of working from home, you have to make people know that you mean business even if they don’t care about it. Utilizing these tips can show others in your home that you are honestly trying to earn a living. And, it makes you even more diligent in how you work your career, too.
Remember, nobody will take you seriously if YOU don’t take you seriously, first. Make your needs known to family and friends and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. People can’t read your mind.
I told my daughter that I was at work and she couldn’t interrupt me even if she didn’t think my work was important. Yeah, it was a guilt trip, but it worked and caused no harm.
Do what you have to do. Make them take notice, especially work-at-home parents.
You Might Need One of These...
More by this Author
Snails are a strange bunch, and they're fascinating, too. All snail's life cycles are exactly the same, no matter the size or kind. African Land Snails are the largest in the world.
Looking for an easy recipe for dog treats? This one takes only minutes to prepare and then you bake it, and there are only two ingredients besides water. Take a look.
Vets are so expensive! Luckily, there are a few things we can do ourselves, like relieve pain in our dogs with a kitchen spice.