Tooth Helpers: Best Dental Hygienist Salary and Employment in the USA
The best dental hygienist salary depends on close work with dentists and their patients. Dental hygienists clean teeth, take x-rays and instruct patient on good oral hygiene. In some states, they can also administer anesthetics, place and shape fillings, remove sutures and make diagnosis. The job requires a degree from an accredited dental hygiene school and a state license.
© 2012 by Aurelio Locsin.
Average Dental Hygienist Salary
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the average dental hygienist salary runs $33.02 per hour or $68,680 per year with 177,520 jobs.
- The lowest earners make $21.64 per hour or $45,000 per year. The highest paid 10 percent receive $45.11 per hour or $93,820 per year.
- This is more than double the mean wages for dental assistants, which is $16.35 per hour or $34,000 per year.
- And it is less than half of the salaries for general dentists, which average $76.33 hourly and $158,770 yearly.
The best employment for dental hygienists varies by workplace:
- Over 96 percent work in the offices of dentists, where they make a mean $33.16 per hour or $68,980 per year.
- Less than one percent work in the offices of doctors, where average wages are $30.38 per hour or $63,190 per year.
- Also under one percent work for employment services, where mean pay is at $31.58 per hour or $65,690 per year.
The best dental hygienist salary is as follows:
- Dental offices have the best averages at $33.16 per hour or $68,980 per year.
- Outpatient care centers offer a mean $32.88 per hour or $68,390 per year.
- Insurance carriers average $31.96 per hour or $66,480 per year.
For states, the employment for dental hygienists follows population.
- California, the state with the biggest population, has 18,050 positions averaging $43.37 per hour or $90,220 per year.
- Texas, the second most populous state, shows 10,860 jobs at a mean $32.47 per hour or $67,530 per year.
- New York, ranking third for population, has 9,710 hygienists earning a mean $32.98 per hour or $68,600 per year.
The best dental hygienist salary runs as follows:
- Alaska, where a high cost of living raises all salaries in general, has mean wages at $43.62 per hour or $90,740 per year.
- California shows means at $43.37 per hour or $90,220 per year.
- Washington has mean pay of $42.22 per hour or $87,810 per year.
Employment for hygienists in cities also follows population, but not in the exact order:
- The third most populous city, Chicago, shows the most jobs at 5,040, with mean wages of $29.58 per hour or $61,520 per year.
- The city with the biggest population, New York, has 4,190 positions averaging $38.73 per hour or $80,560 per year.
- Los Angeles, which ranks second for population, shows 3,300 hygienists earning a mean $41.18 per hour or $85,660 per year.
The best dental hygienist salary for cities ranks as follows:
- San Francisco, California, shows mean earnings at $50.12 per hour or $104,250 per year.
- Santa Rosa, California, has averages at $48.80 per hour or $101,510 per year.
- New Haven, Connecticut, has mean pay at $47.16 per hour or $98,090 per year.
Related to the best dental hygienist salary are the salaries of dentists, which you can find at Tooth Fairies’ Rewards: The Highest Paid Dentists and Dental Specialists in America.
- Tooth Fairies' Rewards: The Highest Paid Dentists and Dental Specialists in America
Find what the highest paid dental specialties are, and where they earn the most.
- United States Department of Labor
Compiles information about employment in the USA.
- Accountant Salary Information
Accountant Salary Info. Discover the average accountant salary by position, industry and location. Special sections on CPA salary and accounting job prospects.
- Accountant Salary - YouTube
http://www.AccountantSalaryInfo.com/ Accountant Salary Accountants record and organize financial transactions. They can develop budgets, ensure monetary exch...
- Dental Hygienist Salary 2011 - YouTube
http://www.certdentalhygienist.com/dental-hygienist-salary-2011.php - The dental hygiene salary 2011 is pegged between $32,100 and $83,860. The range is pret...
More by this Author
Anesthesiologists are an essential part of the surgical team since they ensure that patients remain pain-free during operations. Their high salaries reflect their necessity and vary by employer and location.
Though American society has made great strides in equalizing the job market for both genders, certain jobs are still dominated by men because of innate ability, social pressure or tradition. Some professions have a...
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...