Top 10 Best Cities for Young Adults and Jobs 2010 - 2020, by Kiplinger
In days past, I read the Kiplinger Newsletter as a hardcopy publication and enjoyed its news and forecasts. Today, Kiplinger is a leader based in Washington DC and specializing in business forecasts, personal financial advice, and a number of media: hardcopy print, on-line website, audio podcasts, video, and even available software. The company continues to offer top forecasts in a number of business and finance topics, including jobs and relocation.
Kiplinger is not the only business and finance company to publish Top 10 to Top 100 lists every year for America, and the major companies whose publications I like to read regularly are listed in the Reference Library link box below. In addition to American publications, several Canadian business and finance publications are also useful and well prepared; and these can be seen listed on some of my Canadian Hubs.
It is always interesting to compare federal and local business and employment trends with actual job listings over several quarters in order to determine how close the forecasts come to reality. City travel and job trend articles often include this comparison and I have done one here for the Kiplinger Top 10 Best Cities for Young Adult Professionals (YAP) published in July 2010.
- BusinessWeek - Business News, Stock Market & Financial Advice
Read the latest international business news & stock market news. Get updated company profiles, financial advice, global economy and technology news.
CNN, FORTUNE, MONEY, BUSINESS 2.0 and Fortune Small Business magazines offer business news and financial market coverage updated throughout the day, along with stock quotes, investing and personal finance advice, tools, lists & archival magazine
- The Economist - World News, Politics, Economics, Business & Finance
- Forbes.com - Business News, Financial News, Stock Market Analysis, Technology & Global Headline
Online source for the latest business and financial news and analysis. Covering personal finance, lifestyle, technology and stock markets. Providing business analysis, advice, commentary, tools and investing tips from Forbes and affiliated publicatio
- US News & World Report - Breaking News, World News, Business News, and America\'s Best Colleges
US News and World Report gives you breaking headline news from the world, national and international news on business and financial news. America's Best College rankings, politics, and health news.
- Kiplinger - Personal Finance, Business, Investing, Retirement, and Financial Advice
Trusted personal finance advice, business forecasting, investing advice, and financial management tools. Kiplinger.com hosts all of the best personal finance advice and business forecasts Kiplinger has to offer.
- The Kiplinger Letter
Surprises in the Top 10 Best Cities
Many people have voiced surprise that Lansing, Michigan comes in at Number Six in the Top 10 Best Cities for YAP List, but I visited that city in July 2010 and found it remarkable. Incredible, really. A huge amount of revitalization is ongoing in the downtown area not for form the Capitol and the Michigan State University. The university is laid out in almost-concentric circles from a central core circle containing not only a huge library and a large botanical garden, but a large museum, and all this is unexpected. City bus stops are everywhere near this inner circle. Buses run often on a large number of routes and can carry passengers to the outskirts of the east side and the Meridian Mall.
The Lansing zoological park is the Potter Park Zoo and is on the Red Cedar River downtown and part of a much larger park with bike and foot trails, picnicking, and numerous shade trees. Standing water misters are available in the zoo for visitors and animals alike.A salt water exhibit of a living coral reef is breathtaking. The rescue work done by the zoo is exhilarating, with two bald eagles in a low aerie that visitors may approach for close up viewing. Adapting an animal financially is possible and the prices in the gift shop overall were far lower than I had expected as well, compared with other zoos. County residents enjoy a deeply discounted entrance fee to the complex - Just $4.00. One could happily spend the entire day in the pleasant surroundings. The facilties are expanding with new animals to be added and Pennsylvania Avenue outside is undergoing recontruction and widening during Summer 2010. An addition in 2009, called Wings Down Under, features hundreds of grass parakeets and other birds from that area of the world.
Nearer the Capitol is a baseball park where visitors can peer down into the game from the sidewalks. This is the Cooley Law School Stadium, formerly Oldsmobile Ballpark; and the Colley law School is the largest in America. The minor league Lansing Lugnuts play here. Large colorful picnic tables and chairs are anchored along one side of the stdium on the sidewalk and people can bring food or purchase dinner from one of many shops nearby and watch a game for free.
Another good feature is that I found the people of Lansing to be very cordial, open, and welcoming, from the zoo to the Capitol to the ball park. The diversity is remarkable, with university students and other residents and visitors from around the world, including a large family I met from northern Asia. I want to visit again very soon and will be doing a complete Hub on this city (click HERE).
The Kiplinger Top 10 Best Cities for YAP to 2020
1) Austin, Texas - Visit the Hub at the embedded Link.
- Percentage of Gen Y: about 30%
- Leading Companies: Austin School District, Dell, City and Federal Govt, IBM, Seton Healthcare, St. David's Healthcare, University of Texas at Austin.
- Top Job Listers (Indeed.com): Dell, AT&T, Seton Family of Hospitals, Temps Inc, Kforce Professional Staffing, Hospital Jobs Online, Volt Services, St. Davids Healthcare, AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Scott and White Hospital.
2) Charlotte, NC - Also a CNNMoney Magazine SMART CITY
- Percentage of Gen Y: about 22%
- Leading Companies: Carolinas Healthcare System, Wells Fargo/Wachovia Corp., Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Bank of America, Wal-Mart, Presbyterian Regional Healthcare, Delhaize America.
- Top Job Listers: Bank Of America, Kforce, Carolinas HealthCare System, TIAA-CREF, TEKsystems, Bayada Nurses, IBM, Wells Fargo Bank, AT&T, Food Lion, Deloitte, Time Warner Cable.
3) Chicago Ill.
- Percentage of Gen Y: about 25%
- Leading Companies: City, State and Federal Govt, Chicago Public Schools, Wal-Mart, Advocate Health Care, Walgreen's, JP Morgan Chase, Abbott Laboratories, AT&T
- Top Job Listers: Request Technology,Deloitte, HCR ManorCare, The University of Chicago, AT&T, Robert Half Finance & Accounting, JPMorgan Chase, Kforce Professional Staffing, Allstate, Heritage Healthcare Group, Critical Connection, Navistar International
4) Houston TX
- Top 20 Hot Jobs in Houston - Reach for the Moon; Walter Cronkite
- Top 20 Hot Jobs Near Austin and Houston
- Percentage of Gen Y: about 24%
- Leading Companies: Wal-Mart, Memorial Hermann Healthcare, Administaff, The UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Continental Airlines, Kroger, Exxon Mobil.
- Top Job Listers: Memorial Hermann, Pizza Hut, Tenet Health, Robert Half Finance & Accounting, Baker Hughes, Methodist Hospital System, UT Health Science Center at Houston, IBM, Ajilon, JPMorgan Chase, HP.
5) Kansas City MO
- Top 10 Jobs in Kansas City, Missouri
- 15 Hot Jobs in a Mega Railroad Suburb - Overland Park, Kansas
- HotJobs On the HubTrail in Fast Growing Midwest Cities 2010 - 2020
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Missouri to 2016
- Percentage of Gen Y: over 22%
- Leading Companies (from Acinet.org): Pennzoil Quakerstate, Cerner Health, H & R Block, Hallmark Cards, City adn Federal Govt.
- Top Job Listers (shared with Kansas City, Kansas): HCA - The Healthcare Company, Aerotek, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, All About Staffing, IBM, Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics, AT&T, Garmin, Critical Connection, Centerpoint Medical Center, The University of Kansas Medical Center, HCR ManorCare.
6) Lansing, MI
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Incredible Lansing - HubPages
- High-Demand Jobs in Lansing, Michigan: Training Funds Available
- Percentage of Gen Y: about 27%
- Largest/Leading Employers (from Acinet.org): MI State Government, Michigan State University, Lansing Community College, Clinton Memorial Hospital, Sparrow Hospital, St. Lawrence Hospital, Carson City Hospital, Ingham Regional Hospital, Lansing Auto/Parts MFG.
- Top Job Listers [Indeed.com, all Internet sources]: Sparrow Health, IBM, Brookdale Senior Living, Michigan State University, Gentiva Health, Bank of America, DART Container, Emergent BioSolutions, DICK'S Sporting Goods, Jackson National Life Insurance Company.
- Percentage of Gen Y: about 22%
- Largest/Leading Employers (from Acinet.org): MetLife, Volt Info Services, Chartis Inc, Merril Lynch and Co., Capital Brokers, Beth Israel Med Center/Psychiatric Dept., Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, City and Burrough Govt.
- Top Job Listers [Indeed.com, all Internet sources]: Mitchell Martin, Kforce, Nursefinders, Citi, JPMorgan Chase, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Executive Search, Robert Half Legal, Morgan Stanley, Hospital Jobs Online, Ajilon Professional Staffing, CompHealth, HSBC.
8) Portland OR
- Percentage of Gen Y residents: about 22%
- Leading Companies: Intel, Fred Meyer Stores, Oregon Health & Science University, Providence Health Systems, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the NW, City Govt, Legacy Health System.
- Top Job Listers: Professional Technical Resources (PTR), Providence Health, Kaiser Permanente, Oregon Health & Science University, Kforce Professional Staffing, Nike, Ajilon Professional Staffing, Intel, IBM, Kelly IT Resources, Aerotek Aviation, Robert Half International, Wells Fargo Bank.
9) Salt Lake City Utah
- Top 20 Jobs in Utah - A Land of Opportunity
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Design and Construction for Salt Lake City to 2020
- Percentage of Gen Y residents: about 29%
- Leading Companies: University of Utah, State and County Govt, Salt Lake City School District, Novus, Delta, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City Corp.
- Top Job Listers: Intermountain Healthcare, L-3 Communications, Kforce, Ajilon Professional Staffing, ARUP Laboratories, US Army Medical Corps, CR England Trucking, Blockbuster, TEKsystems, IASIS Healthcare, AT&T.
10) Washington DC
- Top 10 Summer Jobs For High School and College - DC jobs programs.
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Columbia/Ellicott City MD - Best Places to Live
- Percentage of Gen Y residents: 27.2%
- Leading Companies: US Federal Govt, McDonald's, Northrop Grumman, Science Applications International, Verizon Communications, Safeway, Ahold USA, Wal-Mart, Macy's, Citigroup
- Top Job Listers: General Dynamics Information Technology, Booz Allen Hamilton, CSC, CACI, ManTech International Corporation, SAIC, Northrop Grumman, Bae Systems, Critical Connection, Inova Health Systems.
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!