Hillsborough CA - IT and Bio-Tech In a Bing Crosby Hometown
San Francisco Suburb To the South
This town was named in 2011 by Money Magazine/CNNMoney as one of the best small towns in which to live in America. Bing Crosby liked it very much even years ago.
Hillsborough in the Hillsborough-Burlingame area of San Mateo County has been known as the location of the Bing Crosby Estate in which he housed his second family with his wife Kathryn. From reading the related article posted soon after the favorite singer's death, the Estate was more like a National Park and Museum.
Thousands of fans and vacationers must have trooped through the home and grounds, ecstatic to see the mementos in 1998 during the Decorator's Show House event. This occurred 20+ years after Mr. Crosby's death in 1977 - the year that the first Star Wars movie was released. The link to a related news story is available below and the story looks as if it has become a classic piece of journalism (and 11 pages long). HubPages member and journalist William F. Torpey is an expert in Bing Crosby information and you'll want to visit his Hubs on Bing as well.
The Burlingame Historical Society maintains a useful website that includes a number of messages on a forum about Bing Crosby. Some of the happiest memories of people posting to the forum are of their days as children at Halloween, going to the Estate and receiving full-sized candy bars as treats. Other folks saw hiom at the corner grocery or out walking - or were the subjects of his practical jokes. The link is below and it is a fun site to visit.
- Bing Crosby Estate
"What you learn is the old furniture moves with you very nicely. It is lovely the things that do pass through a family," remarked stage actress Kathryn Crosby on a tape made as she toured her
- William F. Torpey on HubPages
I am a retired newspaper reporter and editor. My writing career began before college when I graduated from the Army Information School and served...
- Burlingame Historical Society
The Burlingame Historical Society seeking to promote interest in and preservation of all matters relating to the history of Burlingame and Hillsborough California.
San Mateo Area South of San Francisco
- Chateau Carolands - National Register of Historic Places. Like Bing Crosby's estate in Hillsborough, the Carolands is an example of modeling along the lines of a French chateau. The mansion was commissioned by members of the famous Pullman family, connected with the historic Pullman train car in American railroading history. An accompanying book and film mark the preservation work ongoing of the house, grounds, and waterscape.
A staircase inside the home has become a famous and popular wall poster. Built around the time of World War I, the mansion is depicted in black and white shots around the Internet that state photos were done in the later 1980s, but the quality is more like old newspaper prints, possibly copyrighted by San Francisco news services. TIME magazine did an historic photo layout and story in the mansion and grounds as well.
The property changed hands several times, hit upon financial disasters more than once, and even was involved with racketeers. It is an interesting and beautiful place to visit.
The mansion was commissioned by members of the famous Pullman family, connected with the historic Pullman train car in American railroading history.
- Coyote Point Recreation Area - Park, recreation areas, and museum.
- Earth Day - Hillsborough encourages residents and visitors to celebrate Earth Day every day of the year with sustainable efforts and lifestyles.
- Hillsborough Parade - An annual Memorial Day Parade is held on the Monday of that holiday weekend, ending with a party of family entertainment and food. The year 2011 is the 101st anniversary of the town, with special events and displays accompanying the parade to celebrate its 100th year (2010 - 2011).
- Mass Transit - CalTrain - By the Pez Store and Museum in Burlingame. Buses operated by SAMTRANS on the El Camino Real.
- Sky Farm Hermitage of Peace - Personal retreats available among the Hermit Monks and Cloistered Nuns associated with traditions of private prayer, solitude, and appreciation of beauty and nature. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wealth in Hillsborough
The Bing Crosby Estate in Hillsborough is still owned by second wife Kathryn. It was opened only in 1998 and has not been publicly reopened for tours, although it might reach the fame accorded to Elvis Presley's Graceland, if given a chance. The three acres and home were furnished as a memorial and living museum of the family's life.
In 2008, BusinessWeek found the following economic data for other homes and families in Hillsborough.
- Average Net Worth in 2008: $1,668,732; increasing slightly since 2000.
- Average Income: $300,943.
- In mid-March 2011, we found 121 homes and mansions for sale in Hillsborough, the top price being $29 Million for a 9 bedroom, 11.5 bath, 35,000 sq. ft. home, as advertised by realtors on Zillow. The lowest price was $5.5 Million for 5 bedrooms and 6.5 baths, 6,500 sq.ft. Other:
- Median Home Sale Price: $2.8 Million, up a million dollars over December 2010.
- Median Overall Home Value: $824,670, according to Sperling's Best Places.
Bing Crosby Estate
*Some sources give the address as 1200 Jackling
The Bing Crosby Estate in Hillsborough is still owned by second wife Kathryn. It is an example of modeling along the lines of a French chateau.
Summer Intern Positions in Foster City Near Hillsborough
Summer Internships Available:
This is a full-time paid internship, but one that does not include company benefits. It is in the Gilead HCV Biology Group, where interns work alongside skilled research scientists. Interns in this particular position work in a laboratory and help develop biochemical and cell-based assays for a drug development project to fight a "novel viral target." Other internships become available every year.
SUMMER INTERNSHIPS in future summers are also available with the following companies, all within a 25-mile radius of Hillsborough CA. Bio-tech and IT related positions are increasing yearly.
- VMWare - Software and related
- Kaiser Permanente - Health and medical
- Genentech - Drug development
- NetApp - IT data management
- AT&T - Telecommunications
- Galileo Learning - Education
- Roche-GB - Health and medical
- Yahoo! Inc.
- Broadcom Corporation - IT/Telecommunications
- Autodesk - 3D design software
- Sony Computer Entertainment
More on Internships
- How to Find a Successful Internship
Interships are available throughout the year for Undergraduate and Graduate Students as well as recent graduates in many fields. This Hub offers a list of sites that provide vast numbers of such internships, along wth some examples and video copmment
- Top 10 Summer Jobs for Adults and College Students
Walking & Singing to Work in the Summer of 1967. Watts/LA (photos public domain). Top 10 Summer Jobs for High School and College Top 10 Summer Jobs for Youth and Adults How to Find a Successful...
Top Hiring Employers
- Kaiser Permanente - Over 6700 jobs
- Hewlett Packard
- GOOGLE - over 1200 jobs
- Stanford University
- Sutter Health
- eBay - about 1000 jobs
- Yahoo! - over 800 jobs
- University of California @ San Francisco
- Cross Creek Systems
- PG & E - over 700 jobs in oil & gas
- Wells Fargo - Finance, Banking, Investment
- NVIDIA - Visual Computing Technologies; Computer/IT Architecture. Visit at NIVIDIA. HQ is in Santa Clara, California.
- Life Technologies - Bio-Sciences
Top 10 Hot High Demand Jobs
- Software Engineers - IT
- Senior Software Engineers -IT
- Product Managers - IT
- Project Managers - IT
- Java Developers - Software/IT
- Physical Therapists
- Web Developers - IT
- Administrative Assistants
- Account Executives - Finance, investments
- Sales Engineers - IT
Hillsborough actual has a Hot 20 Top Jobs. Another 10 jobs in highest demand include:
- Shift Supervisors - Retail, dining, and others
- Business Analysts
- Account Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Senior Accountants
- Software Developers
- Program Managers - Various fields
- Product Marketing Managers
- Q & A Engineers
- Sales Representatives
Higher Education and Training
- California College of Early Childhood Education
- College of San Mateo
- LVN program | LPN program | Medical Training | Healthcare Training Program | Medical Training School
Gurnick Academy offers medical and healthcare training. Our medical training school has healthcare programs like LVN, ultrasound medical sonography, MRI, DMS, radiology technology, psychiatric technician and phlebotomy, with the best of training faci
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
Mills-Peninsula Health Services--find a doctor, search services, read health information, register for your hospital stay, volunteer, find a job, give to the foundation
- Notre Dame de Namur University - NDNU
Notre Dame de Namur University
- Pacific Technical College - healthcare solar energy audit
Pacific Technical College - career Training students for green tech and health care careers
- Samuel Merritt University
Samuel Merritt University (SMU) is a fully accredited health sciences institution located in Oakland, California with campuses across the Bay Area including San Francisco, Sacramento, and San Mateo. Samuel Merritt University, formerly Samuel Merritt
Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye in "White Christmas"
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE8
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...