Growing Businesses and Jobs in Toronto
Toronto Economy Is On a Roll— Toronto Star on Feb 11, 2011
Retail Moving Higher
The Greater Toronto Area is located on the Golden Horseshoe region of Lake Ontario in Ontario Province. This is a popular area for visitors, new residents, and new business ventures.
In 2012, we found that Target and WalMart began a hiring boom to last two years. By mid-July 2012, Toronto enjoyed a listing of over 31,000 jobs and the stock market was rising.
By Autumn 2016, Workopolis listed 20,000+ job listings for Toronto, while Indeed Canada provided over 66,000 job vacancies within 560km of the city center. Jobs are surely increasing.
Golden Horseshoe Region
Recession Proof Metro Area
The media suggested throughout 2008 - 2012, that the Great Recession that hit the United States did not affect Canada in such drastic ways or measures. This is fortunate for Toronto, the nation;s largest city.
An extensive article, Top 10 Hot Job Futures in discusses the strongest predicted jobs to increase and to appear most frequently in jobs listings into the middle of the 21st Century.
Three views of Toronto below are provided by Pixabay.
The region noted on the map below in the northern portion of the Golden Horseshoe around Lake Ontario.
Greater Toronto Area and Selected Cities (in order of numbers of job listings)
Job Search Engines for Ontario
The job search engines dedicated for Canada are SimplyHired Canada and Indeed Canada, which continually search the Internet for all listed job postings Canada and aggregate them for easy viewing.
It is best to use both of the engines listed above, because on some days, each of the two search engines some jobs not found on the other site.
It is wise to check WOWJobs and Workopolis, which are additional Canadian sites for job search.
Toronto - Future City
Highest Demand Jobs 2016 - 2017
- Salespeople: Sales clerks, commission sales people.
- Engineers. These include the IT field, Manufacturing, and Construction: Quality Engineers, Mechanical Engineer, Process Engineers, Sales Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Product Manufacturing Engineers.
- Inside and Outside Sales Representatives (This represents the fact that Ontario firms have products and services to sell.)
- General Labor types of jobs.
- Administrative Assistant
- Forklift Operators
- Store Managers and Assistants
- Account Managers
- Customer Consultants
- Registered Nurses and Nurse-Massage Therapists
The Top Seven Temporary Employment Agencies are Busy
Many Temp-to-Perm placement bureaus offer thousands of jobs:
- Select Employment
- Michael Page International
- The Bagg Group: Interviews not always necessary.
- ABL Employment
Sample High Demand Temporary Listing
Can-Tech Services. No interview required, can start right away. Can-Tech Services is one of the leaders in providing immediate employment opportunities in Canada and have been providing expert staffing solutions for over 40 years. cantechservices.com/
Companies Needed the Most New Workers
- Top Seven Temporary Employment Agencies
- Shoppers Drug Mart
- Hudson's Bay: Retail stores.
- Walmart Canada
- Staples: Office supplies and equipment.
- Loblaw: grocery and retail complexes.
- GoodLife Fitness
- Scotiabank:Banking and financial products.
- Rouge Valley Health System
Summary Job Descriptions
The following seven job titles have remained in high demand in Greater Toronto since 2012. The first six of these are especially well paid positions.
- Financial Analysts- Any of a number of responsibilities requiring extensive financial and accounting training and skills: tracking, forecasting, reconciliation, reporting, and related duties. Usually must know all aspects of Microsoft Office suite and financial software packages.
- Senior Financial Analysts - Number 1 above, with additional supervisory and reporting responsibilities as well as other duties.
- Project Managers- Often manages one or several IT projects simultaneously. The title sometimes is applied to other fields, but is one of largely Information Technology work that includes both software and hardware. However, the information handled may be related to Retail, Healthcare, Government, TV Broadcasting, or one of any number of fields.
- Business Analysts - Internal and external reporting involving finance; accounting, and IT; designing and maintaining databases to help customers understand and monitor business performance in order to maximize it. The analyst makes suggests and helps create customer plans to improve business outcomes.
- Sales Representatives- These are representatives that sell goods and services to businesses that in turn sell to the public. Inside sales requires selling by phone and fielding calls for information and ordering. Outside sales requires travel.
- Administrative Assistants- This assistant position requires additional skills and responsibilities over that of secretaries. This employee may screen employee applications, handle a variety of office machines, and use the entire capability of Microsoft Office Suite in addition to Word, i.e., PowerPoint, Access, and Excel; as well as Outlook, for reporting and presentations.
- Receptionists- Work in offices, medical practices, law firms, car dealerships, mall information centers, and other businesses and nonprofit or government venues that require a greeter and information dispenser. The receptionist often handles a multi-line phone system, directing calls and in-person visitors to proper locations. He or she often has additional clerical and computer duties as well.
Moving to Toronto, Canada
If You Want to Move to Canada to Work
Non-Canadians are needed to fill the jobs on the following list during 2016 - 2017, because not enough Canadians are available.
Please visit the Visa and Immigration website Citizenship and Immigration Canada for more complete information on working in Canada. In addition, check the most up-to-date list of jobs requiring non-Canadians to fill, because it updates yearly.
The jobs below are Management, Professional, and Technical in nature and job candidates must have 1 year or more of experience.
- Financial Managers: This might fit some cases of the FINANCIAL and SR. FINANCIAL ANALYSTS job listings for the Greater Toronto Area.
- CIS Managers: This might fit some of the job openings listed for PROJECT MANAGERS in Toronto.
- Health Care Managers
- Restaurant and Food Service Managers
- Accommodations Managers
- Construction Managers
- Financial Auditors and Accountants
- Geologists, Geochemists, Geophysicists; Geological Engineers
- Mining Engineers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Physician Specialists
- General Practitioners and Family Physicians
- Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Head Nurses (Nurse Managers) and Supervisors
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Medical Radiation Technologists
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- University Professors
- College & Vocational Instructors
- Chefs and Cooks
- Contractors/Supervisors for Pipefitting and Carpentry
- Contractors/Supervisors of Heavy Construction Equipment
- Certain Electricians, like Industrial Electricians
- Plumbers, Steamfitters, Pipe fitters and Sprinkler System Installers
- Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
- Crane Operators
- Drillers and Blasters
- Supervisors for Mining and Quarrying; Oil and Gas Drilling/Service; Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities
More by this Author
The Top 10 Employers of Ohio include two large universities, two major hospitals, two sectors of government, two aerospace and aviation employers, and two private manufacturing corporations, with more to come.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.