Summerlin South, Fastest Growing City in Nevada
Summerlin Spreads to the South and West
BusinessWeek named Summerlin South the fastest growing city in Nevada for 2010.
While the community is unincorporated, it is part of the Summerlin trio of planned communities begun by Howard Hughes in the mid-20th Century.
Summerlin South contains several smaller villages: The Gardens, Mesa, Ridgewood, Summerlin Centre, Ridgebrook, The Rridges, and The Willows.
Summerlin South begins at the western outskirts of Las Vegas, east of Route 159, and Vegas is the large city where the bulk of all Nevada jobs has been located since 1990.
Part of each Summerlin community (North, South, and West) features high-end retirement living; as more retirees move to this part of Nevada than into the rest of the state. Younger families are also moving in, along with new businesses. Summerlin South is expanding more quickly than the other two planned communities and faster than even Las Vegas.
East of Red Rock Canyon, West of Las Vegas
Clark County Progress
Summerlin South housing development(s) are governed largely by its homeowners association: Summerlin South Community Association, but is officially overseen by the Clark County Commissioners.
The village's current real estate division reported that nearly 16,000 residents called Summerlin South home in early 2010, with BusinessWeek reporting the number of households at 12,342 and a population increase of 664% in the decade 2000 - 2010.
Las Vegas seems to be expanding westward through the Summerlin and Summerlin South planned communities and these places support their own businesses as well as residential properties.
Summerlin South advertises itself as a community fitting for younger families with children as well as older workers and 55+ Active retired adults. The community of Sienna within the village is an Active 55+ community in itself. Summerlin South offers many recreation facilities, a large Grand Ballroom, and a full golf course, as well as other attractions.
- VIEW NEWS - A Neighborhood Newspaper
The View News is the neighborhood news information source for Las Vegas. It is published by the Las Vegas Review-Journal and Las Vegas Sun. It contains information about news, sports, business, real estate, schools, zoning and more.
Welcome to Summerlink.com, the official website for residents of the master-planned community of Summerlin. Information is provides about Summlin and Summerlin South and West.
Recreation and Green Space
Summerlin North, South, and West communities share 20 parks that are designed for relaxing, recreation and specific sports activities. In fact, Howard Hughes Corp. found that the hiking and biking trails within these parks make a key point for selling residential properties in the Summerlin communities.
One of the larger green venues is Gardens Park, which features basketball and tennis courts, a roller hockey rink, a sand (beach) volleyball lot, children’s areas, horseshoe pits, and bocce ball and shuffleboard areas. The Gardens Community Center offers a year-around menu of classes and programs.
Some other parks are large and house baseball fields or outdoor barbecue grills, while others are linear and filled with hiking and bike trails. Willows Park maintains a swimming pool for residents.
- TPC Summerlin - Golf: Hosts the annual Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open golf tournament.
- Spring Mountain Ranch State Park is located southwest of Summerlin South, across Route 159 and inside of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Several people owned the ranch, but one was the personality behind "Lum" of the "Lum and Abner" radio show of the 1940s. This was Mr. Chet Lauck, who named the ranch The Bar Nothing. He started a boy's camp with his family, built Lake Harriet for his wife, raised cattle, and built a small hydroelectric power plant called Boulder Dam, Jr.
Natural Sites to Visit
Super Summer Theater is held here throughout the summer months.
Natural Wonders and Entertainment
Spring Mountain Ranch
Jobs Increasing with Residential Growth
Summerlin South is a village that covers approximately 41 square miles of land.
A job search within a 25 mile radius of the center of the village yields about 12,000 openings at the beginning of February 2013 on SimplyHired.com and over 16,000 on Indeed.com, both job search and trending engines that scour the Internet job listings on job boards, staffing agencies, company websites, and other Internet venues.
From Autumn 2014 - Summer 2015, this area had job postings of 35,000 - 38,000 daily.
Top Job Listers for the Summerlin Area
- MGM Mirage - Hotel - Resorts and more.
- Universal Health Services
- Caesars Entertainment
- Cross Post - Healthcare
- Melton Truck Lines - Trucking and Freight
- Care.com - Healthcare Services
- United Health Group
- Valley Health System
- KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell
- Atria Senior Living
- Desert Springs Hospital
- Summerlin Hospital
Healthcare Systems Jobs
- Summerlin Hospital Medical Center and Cancer Institute of Nevada - Summerlin Hospital is a For-Profit company owned by Universal Health Services, a top job lister for openings in Summerlin communities. For jobs openings specially at these faciltiies, see Summerlin Hospital Medical Center Jobs offered at RecruitingNevada.com
- Mountain View Hospital - A local acute-care hospital pf the Sunrise hospital system in nearby Las Vegas. Very high-tech, the hospital ER will provide current waiting times for service if you text "ER" to 23000. The facility is very interested in Alzheimer's research and presents lecture open to the public on this and other topics.
- Desert Springs Hospital - Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center earned the Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers and Diabetes Care from The Joint Commission, and Accreditation as a recognized Chest Pain facility. Senior Advantage is their ongoing health and wellness program for active 55+ people.
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- Staff Accountants
- Physical Therapists
- Sales Managers
- KFC and Pizza Hut Team Members and Shift Supervisors - Dining and food service, fast food and casual dining..
- Sales Representatives - All types.
- Store Managers - Coffee shops, small retail and electronics stores, etc.
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executives - Finance and investment; Sales.
- Sales Associates
Additional high-demand jobs include:
- Financial Advisors
- General Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Customer Service Representatives
- Retail Store Managers
- Medical Assistants
- Cashiers - Retail, grocery, etc.
HIgher Education for Jobs
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...