Best Healthcare Careers Through 2020
Positive Prediction Of The Century
In 2010, First Lady Michelle Obama created the Let’s Move campaign to increase the nutritional usefulness and decrease the obesity of America’s children and youth. Adults must join this campaign to make it effective.
Therefore, a large number of Americans will be wishing to lose weight through 2020, a milepost for growing health and medical jobs to peak or top begin even greater growth. The overall population of the world continues to grow and not decline; so this growth indicates the need for greater numbers of healthcare professionals and not fewer.
Heathcare and medical jobs will likely increase in number and increase in types and duties because of advancing technologies, through the year 2100 AD. Even if NASA and global space agencies experience budget cuts, the research they will continue to do regarding space travel and life "out there" will positively affect healthcare on earth through useful new applications of procedures and materials. That is my prediction.
Weight Management Specialists
- Duties: Weight-loss specialists plan, facilitate, implement and follow-up on weight-loss regimens for their clients. They apply the best practices of officially recognized dietary programs and positive reinforcement criteria in their work. They are often members of umbrella associations with dietitians, nutritionists, and exercise specialists.
- Education and Background: A Bachelor's degree or higher. Licensing, certification and/or registration is determined by each individual US state.
- Usual Salary Range: $20,000 - $60,000+
Top Job Titles in Weight Management
- Weight Loss Consultants
- Marketing Program Sales - weight loss programs
- Fitness or Weight Loss Experts
- Registered Dietitians
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Includes Travel Nurses
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic Staff
- Personal Trainers
- Personal Training Assistants
- Admissions Representatives
- Metabolic Specialists
- Program Sales Consultants - Weight loss
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic Franchise Owner-Operators
Reflexology Helped Me Walk After A Broken Ankle
Massage Therapist or Relexologist
- Duties: This professional often works in the office of a Physician, Osteopath, Chinese Medical Practitioner, or Chiropractor, as well as in massage therapy group practices, holistic health centers, beauty salons and day spas, vacation resorts, hotels, and even large natural foods stores. Massage therapists help increase overall health with circulatory stimulation, release, body awareness, relaxation, muscle recovery, pain relief and stress management/elimination.
Martial Arts Masters at the rank of 5th degree black belt and higher – and Traditional Native American health practitioners -- may have massage, bone setting, relaxation or trance-induction, and herbal medicine training , but may or may not be state-certified – If you consider such a professional, ask for references and note whether he/she has been practicing for a sufficient number of years to have enough understanding and skills.
- Education and Background: The bulk of US States mandate formal education and national Certification Examination and/or a State Examination and Board Certification. Check your local state medical board for information.
- Usual Salary Range: $20,000 - $75,000, as advertised on Indeed.com
Major Locations for Massage and Reflexology Demand
- Six out of the Top 10 Cities are in Texas.
Houston TX, San Antonio TX, Dallas TX, Seattle, WA, NYC, Austin TX , Chicago IL, Plano TX, Fort Worth TX, Las Vegas NV.
Dietitians and Nutritionists
These professionals will be in high demand for the Let's Move campaign begun in 2010 throughout American schools and secondary education facilities, and government institutions.
- Duties: These jobs require planning and implementing the most effective menues and food portions for clients and patients, whether private, in-school, in-hospital or other setting. The goal is to instill and reinforce healthy eating via dietary modifications, menue planning, and adequate-nutrition programs. Client education involves meal preparation and serice. Some of these positions may be Dietary Aides or Cooks.
- Education and Background: A Bachelor's degree or higher and State Licensing, certification and/or registration. Association membership may be recommended or required.
- Usual Salary Range: $30,000 - $60,000, with some reaching up to $110,000.
In April 2010 the USA had 2,000 of these open jobs around the country and in March 2012, the number increased to 2,300.
- Duties: Meal and menu preparation for private clients.
- Education and Background: Culinary School Associate Degree. Certification/membership by the American Personal & Private Chef Association.
- Salary Range: Varies
In a trend toward more holistic and less allopathic medical treatment seeking, clients are patronizing Chiropractors in growing numbers, especially since they often have Massage Therapists and Reflexologists in their practices.
- Duties: These doctors treat a number of conditions originating in the spin and affecting overall health. They focus also on elimination, diet, and exercise in natural and noninvasive treatments.
- Education and Background: Chiropractors must be State Licensed, with 2-4+ years of undergraduate school, then a 4-year chiropractic college, passing National and State Examinations.
- Salary Range: Most often $40,000 - $90,000, topping out at over $260,000/year
Locations of Highest Demand
- Salt Lake City, Islandia, NY, Corpus Christi TX, NYC, Reno NV, Salisbury NC, Louisville KY, Robstown TX, Fairfield NJ, Freer TX.
Increase In Chiropractor Jobs (Outside of Private Practice)
After a sharp spike in Chiropractic job listings in 2012, a decline began gradually to move into an increase in 2013 that continued through 2016, with approximately 4,000 listings in the USA in April 2016.
Public Health Promotion Educator
Over 333,000 jobs in this category were open in the USA in mid-April 2010 and jobs are expected to increase.
- Duties: Health educators teach people and communities about healthy lifestyles and maintaining wellness in accordance with the US Healthy People 2020 Goals.
Health is not merely the absence of disease. It includes aspects of disease prevention and control, nutrition, exercise, accident prevention, baby wellness, senior wellness, women’s health, anti-bully and anti-violence, and several others. See the entire program at the link. .
- Education and Background: At least a bachelor's degree for entry-level jobs; MA or MS; or PhD for others.
- Salary Range: $30,000 - $90,000+
Job Increases: Health Educator
Numbers of job listings for Health Education remained steady throughout 2013 - 2016.
Keep On Moving!
- Duties: Athletic Trainers wok in conditioning, injury prevention and the assessment, treatment and recovery of athletic injuries. Work for schools and professional and club teams. Some work privately for one athlete, at higher income rates
- Education and Background: A bachelor's degree and State Certification.
- Salary Range: $40,000+
- Duties: Usually, this person focuses on weight loss, weight management, conditioning, and healthy lifestyle – and is increasingly seen in reality shows on TV. Exercise and Nutrition training and certification are advisable.
- Education and Background: Certification for private clientele or fitness center members.
- Salary Range: $40,000+
- Duties: This is not an athletic or personal trainer, although some people think it is. This is a lower paid job – sometimes very low. Exercise Instructors usually conduct group classes in fitness centers, physical rehabilitation facilities, hospitals, martial arts clubs, child care places, and retirement centers anytime from 6:00 AM or earlier to 10:00PM any day of the week. I myself have conducted classes as early as 5:30 AM and at late at midnight. Some fitness centers are open 24 hours a day.
- Education and Background: Certification is important in many US states. Check with your local community college and fitness centers for short-term coursework and certification requirements.
- Salary Range: varies, sometimes begins at minimum wage.
Recreation/Activities Leader or Coordinator
- Duties: Plan and lead recreation activities for diverse groups in agencies and rec or fitness centers - anything from a camp to a nursing home.
- Education and Background: High School Diploma, Bachelor's degree, or higher.
- Salary Range: Minimum Wage and higher
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Sustainability jobs are becoming more popular and greater in number around the United States. This should make for a brighter economic growth and a healthier country. Some of these jobs are fun, too!
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...
I have learned much from Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the resipes and information.