Selecting Jobs and Careers in Hillsboro, Oregon, the Silicon Forest
The Pacific Northwest
Found in Washington County, Oregon, Hillsboro was named by CNN Money Magazine online as Number 92 among the Top 100 Best Places to Live in America. You may think that the cities and towns in the 90s of this list may be the bottom of the barrel, but that's hardly true. Given 10s or hundreds of thousands of cities and towns in America, the Top 100 are all good.
Hillsboro is nicknamed the odd-sounding "Silicon Forest." Since forests are not made of silicon and computer components are so made, this must be a reference to computers and related Information Technology. In fact, the successful Intel Corporation is headquartered in Hillsboro, which is near the larger Portland.
All About Hillsboro
For geographical reference, we have Tillamook on the above map, near the Pacific Ocean. Another small town known for its creameries and cheese production, Tillamook is about 60 miles or an hour's drive form Hillsboro.
Tillamook is named after one of the nations of Indigenous Peoples of the Pacific Northwest, related to the Salishan language groups (see Native American links below). The town has several museums, WWII history, and makes a good adjunct attraction to Hillsboro.
Hillsboro Area Of Oregon
- Aero Air - Founded in 1956. Private and Jet Charter, Aircraft Sales, FBO Services, Maintenance, parts sales from out of Portland-Hillsboro.
- Artists Repertory Theatre
- Brush Creek Playhouse
- El-Paraiso Botanica - Highly recommended Mexican Restaurant. (503) 693-3916
- Elsinore Theatre
- Hondo Dog Park- 4499 NW 229th Ave. in Hillsboro
- Lakewood Theatre
- LB Day Amphitheatre
Hillsboro Skate Park
Livin' Green Community Fair
- Oregon Zoo- Opened in the late 1800s, the zoo is less than 14 miles from the center of Hillsboro, in Portland. February 2nd is Hedgehog Day at the zoo. Polar Bears are visiting on tour as well. Open 364 Days a year, closed on Christmas. Reasonable rates, with discounts every Tuesday.
- Rice Museum - Rocks and minerals.
- Walters Cultural Arts Center - Fine arts, kids classes, performances.(503) 615-3485
- For additional attractions, visit the local Chamber of Commerce at http://www.hillchamber.org/
Bald Peak State Scenic Viewpoint - See the Cascade Mountains
Shugte Park is one of over 20 city parks in Hillsboro and it contains a recreation center and Iindoor pool along with a park. In the park is at least one Native American sculpture by the famous artist Peter Wolf Toth (see photo to the right).
This particular head carving is one of a set that Mr. Toth completed in all US states around the nation to represent the numerous nations of Indigenous Peoples here. His ongoing work has spread to Canada in a project he calls Trail of the Whispering Giants. He is Hungarian in origin, but immigrated to America to Akron, Ohio, solme 175 miles north of my home city. Look in your home state or province for his work.
In Akron, you can see the sculpture Rotaynah, representing all of the "tribes" of Ohio. In each state, Mr. Toth has attempted to sculpt a composite of the local peoples in stone or wood. The image was completed in 1985 from a red oak and stands before Akron’s Fairlawn Elementary School, which is now a Judith Resnick Leaning Center (named for the Challenger astronaut).
Shute Park also houses a ;public library, a senior community center, and many sports courts - including something called "pickleball."
Chief Kno-Tah History
- Hillsboro, OR : Chief Kno-Tah
Chief Kno-Tah History. The name, Kno-Tah, was taken from the name of the chief of the Tualatin Nation.
Rotaynah in Akron, Ohio
Pacific Northwest Peoples Links
- Native American Nations of the United States West Co...
From Alaska and Western Canada, The People of the North migrated eastward and southward, filling Washington, Orgeon, and California, creating new cultures. Videos of Pow Wows from these areas are incredibly striking.
- Native American Nations in British Columbia
The Canadian Pacific Northwest is one of my favorite areas in North America to visit and it is home to over 200 bands of Native Americans, the earliest peoples of North America.
Additional Oregon City Reviews
- A Cappella - Music Genre Made Hot by TV Marketing an...
I think this was the most fun and entertaining number performed on this year's The Sing Off, with the exception of On The Rock's fantastic Bad Romance. Only 6 months old at the start fo the season, The...
- Top 15 Best Hot Jobs to 2020 in Eugene, Home of "Sin...
Downtown Eugene, Oregon Eugene, Oregon experienced an influx of interestest when their University of Oregon men's a cappella choral group On The Rocks did well in national competition for 2010. They went on to...
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Medford, Oregon
The Medford-Ashland Metro Area in Southern Oregon serves as an economic and Medical Services hub for Southern Oregon and Northern California. Very diverse, it includes fruit orchards, shopping malls, skateboarding, firespinning, and pow wows (see the
Major Hiring Companies
- Intel - High Tech/IT
- Kaiser Permanente - Healthcare
- Providence Health & Services
- Oregon Health & Science University - Local university.
- Advantage Nurse Staffing
- Professional Technical Resources
- WorkInSports.Com - Retail, Broadcasting, Trainers, other.
- Southwest Washington Medical Center
- Volt Information Sciences
- Taco Bell, Starbucks, other small dining places
- Global Corporate Careers
- US Bank
- Worksource Vancouver Towne Plaza
- Wells Fargo
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
- Software Engineers - IT
- Shift Supervisors - Various industries: dining places, retail stores, other.
- Baristas - Full-time and Part-time
- Sales Representatives - Included IT components
- Physical Therapists and PT Assistants - Health
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Health
- Project Managers - Includes IT
- Administrative and Executive Assistants
- Java Developers - IT
Additional High Demand Jobs in and Near Hillsboro
- Account Executives
- Assistant Managers
- .Net Developers - IT
- Business Analysts
- Occupational Therapists - Health
Hillsboro economy is supported by many businesses, but a large contribution is made by the IT Industry, including component manufacturing. Hundreds of high-tech and Information Technology companies are profitable in the Hillsboro area and can be found listed on the Chamber of Commerce Website under Hillsboro Magazine.
Among leading companies in this section of Oregon are Epson, Intel, and Yahoo!, among many others. Triquint Semiconductor is a leader that was particularly highlighted by the Chamber of Commerce in Hillsboro Magazine for 2010.
Mass transportation and public roadways are well maintained In order for Hillsboro to continue to grow in the 21st Century. Bus service, light rail (all the way to Portland), and public and private airports are available. The transportation services will continue to help numbers of new jobs grow, many of them in computers, related manufacturing, and Information Technology overall.
Hillsboro Aviation - Flight School
Higher Education and Training
- Everest.edu - Business and technologies.
- Hillsboro Aviation - Flight schools, airplanes and helicopters.
- Oregon Health and Science University
- Northwest College
- Northwest College of Hair Design
- Pacific University @ Hillsboro
- University of Phoenix - On campus and online.
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.